Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheaper to buy than rent

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭worded

It's very morbid to be preparing
    for a nice gaff to see you through
    until you die

But I suppose having a landlord decide
    if you live on the bread and water by upping the rent yet again when you are in your 70s is a dire thought

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

mfergus wrote: »
    Ah sure you can make these "steps"to argue the opposite too...

Step 1:
    Why would you buy, it's like having a noose around your neck...etc

Step 2:
    The washing machine is making too much noise, it's handy tho I can just contact the landlord again.

Step 3:
    The landLord is raising my rent (time to construct an argument for prtb)

Step 4:
    Rent is too expensive. There's no suitable places around.

Step 5
    Moves to a small place

Step 6
    Retire and continue to pay rent until you die wishing that 35 years previous you decided to buy...

ahh sher tis de ded muny isnt it only!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

worded wrote: »
    It's very morbid to be preparing
    for a nice gaff to see you through
    until you die

But I suppose having a landlord decide
    if you live on the bread and water by upping the rent yet again when you are in your 70s is a dire thought

No more morbid than saving towards a pension. Future and retirement planning is not morbid.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

lima wrote: »
    ahh sher tis de ded muny isnt it only!

Text speak is forbidden by the charter - cut it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

lima wrote: »
    Yeah but their 400k property is now only worth 200k

Not everyone ona tracker paid €400 k for the house they are living in, I certainly didn't.

Buying was a cheaper option for me in the long run, rents will go nowhere but up as the years go on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Text speak is forbidden by the charter - cut it out.

Whoops sorry it was purely satirical in nature, I certainly don't speak like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

dubrov wrote: »
    In fairness, interest rates are currently at ridiculously low levels. When they return to more normal levels I would expect renting to be cheaper than a mortgage

In all honesty, given that the rental market in Dublin is predominately (open to correction) wannbe paddy property barons, through accident or design on their part, will rents just not rise in line with interest rates. Are we expecting some other factor such as professional investors/NAMA to prevent that from happening?

It would seem to me that the whole reason there are professional investors creeping into the Irish market is the huge potential returns from properly managed property because of the fact that rents have to rise inline with mortgages here.

Happy to be corrected.

Advertisement