Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The IRA 'Moon Car'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 vintary

A while back I done a little bit of looking into the moon car and I could find nothing regarding such a car that was used in the Anglo Irish war or the Irish civil war. Thats not to say there was no such car, I just could not find anything on it. I looked over several newspapers on the Queenstown shoting and it seemed to me that the car was not armoured in any way nor was the machine guns fixed in any mountings, but you never know ?? new info may turn up sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Yes indeed. A smashing job.
    Unfortunately the comments sections descends into the usual trollfest and keyboard warrior handbagging match.

I have a good interest in military vehicles of this period, I just ignore everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Yes, I'd be just as interested in seeing a Crossley Tender, think there's only a handful of those surviving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puacU5a17Ws

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

There is one interesting post by a Bob Montgomery (I'm guessing he is the Irish Times motoring man??) where he writes

It is incorrect to say that this car once belonged to Oliver St John Gogarty. I've been able to ascertain the following information regarding Gogarty's Roll-Royce and the 'Moon' car: Rolls-Royce Chassis No. 1409 (registration no. RI 1310) - the Gogarty Rolls-Royce - was supplied by JB Ferguson Limited, most probably through their Dublin showrooms at Baggot Street, on the 8th September 1910. It was subsequently sold to W Magill (date unknown) of Ballycastle, County Antrim and was destroyed by fire in a "Dublin riot" in 1922. The above information is taken from THE EDWARDIAN ROLLS-ROYCE by John Fasal and Bryan Goodman (1994 ISBN 10-9506489-3-0 and 0-9506489-4-9) The 'Moon' car was based on a Silver Ghost tourer, built some time between 1915 and 1920 and originally supplied to the family that owned the Clark Tobacco Company, who lived in the Macroom district of County Cork. I think the above should demonstrate that there is no basis in fact for believing the 'Moon' car was formally Gogarty's Rolls-Royce.

Advertisement