Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended reading: Quakers & Typhus Fever

Options
  • 22-05-2013 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

After doing a talk on an aspect of the great famine - the relief commission. I have sparked two new interests. 1. The Quakers in Ireland and 2. Typhus fever. Could anyone recommend books that are very thorough on these two subjects. I would love to know about them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Cannot help with the Society of Friends (the name they prefer) but Geary details here is the guy you need to read on Famine diseases. He has a chapter on Famine diseases in ‘The Great Irish Famine’, itself a very good read. That book is a collection of lectures / essays by a diverse range of experts covering various aspects of the Famine – editor is Cathal O’Poirtear. It is a pity many people who post here on the Famine have not read it!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Simon.d

Came across this book a few months back, published in 1852.. "Ostentation: or, Critical remarks on 'Quakerism; or, the story of my life', by Mrs. Greer"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The Quakers are fascinating: I've used their records for genealogy research - super record keepers and very helpful volunteers in Quaker House in Rathfarnham.

The Irish Quakers by Maurice Wigham is a good summary book.

A Biographical Dictionary of Irish Quakers by Richard S Harrison is much more detailed but obviously listed by person rather than a history.

There's a number of books about their famine work listed here:
    http://www.quakers-in-ireland.ie/about-us/publications/

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement