Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dire Situation?

• 18-01-2003 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm looking to move out of home for the first time. I'm currently between jobs (Was just let go from a Christmas temp position)

So I'm 23 and unemployed. Can anyone fill me in on what options are available to a person in my situation?

Ideally I'd love something in a quiet area. Anywhere in the country.

I don't qualify for council accomodation due to being single.

What can I do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

get a job for a start

then worry about leaving home :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

U need to get a job go back to full time education,or do a fas course,U cant expect the tax payer to pay for a place for u to live cause ur not working and want to leave home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,492 ✭✭✭✭Victor

As the others said. Financially, it is madness to move out of home if you are unemployed. However if you have to move of home for personal reasons, you may be entitled to Rent Allowance (from your local health board Community Welfare Officer), which will cover most, but not all of the cost of renting somewhere (cosat has to be reasonable). Your best bet would be to look for a house share.

Remember, you will have to cook, clean and buy everything yourself and house mates are less forgiving than mothers when you eat their food.

Oh yes, landlords prefer not to let to unemployed people (financial risk and some want to evade tax).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 OutOfHere

Yes it is for personal reasons I want to split. My family are absolute retards. I won't go into it but lets just say things are VERY messed up at home.

I do plan on getting a job but I was thiking I'd just move down the country somewhere first then find something after I settle in.

Was looking at two bedroom apartments in Kildare on daft.ie that work out at 137 per week. Not too bad. I have no one that's ready to up and leave Dublin with me so I'm on my own.

I've been cooking for myself for the past 4/5 years. No big deal.

Would I qualify for rent allowance? I think there are certain criteria? It would be a great help until I find work.

The getting a job advice is well appreciated by the way.... Never crossed my mind :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by OutOfHere
    Would I qualify for rent allowance? I think there are certain criteria? It would be a great help until I find work
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/employment/losing_your_job/supplementary_welfare_allow.html
    When applying for a Rent or Mortgage Interest Supplement, account may be taken of the following:

* Whether the size of your accommodation is appropriate to your family size
    * If you have applied for or have been refused local authority housing where this is available
    * If you have a valid reason for leaving the parental home
    * The cost of your accommodation compared to rent levels for similar accommodation in the area
    * Whether you are sharing your accommodation with other tenants
    I was just looking up this info myself, as I'm going to be joining the ranks of the occupationally challenged soon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,492 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Threads merged.

Advertisement