Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oven issues

Options
  • 15-11-2010 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

I began renting a house in the summer, when I moved in the oven (gas) lighter didn't work but the landlord had left on of those big lighters in the kitchen for me so I was okay with it.
    I had to light the hob manually and if I used the oven i had to reach into the back with the lighter and light the flame. I didn't have need for the grill until recently but I now do. Only thing is I can't seem to get it to work.
    Am I able to ask my landlord to fix the oven now, having been in the house 6 months and not made an issue of it before.

I am also a little worried because when I light the hob the flame is huge, much bigger than any hob I've ever used, even on the smallest setting. Is there anyway I can get the oven checked for this (ie someone mentioned that bord gais sometimes do free checks?)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Get on to your landlord; if the oven isnt working then its up to them to fix it regardless of how long you have been there. While they are getting the oven fixed ask them to get the repairer to take a look at the hob.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Sounds like it's just the spark not working, maybe there isn't a spark though? Some ovens need the big lighter.

You say you don't know how to turn on the grill, that's different to 'the grill is broken'. Ring up the landlord and ask them how it works? I'm sure if you google the appliance name there would be instructions on how to get it to work. Gas grills like that are tricky to get going, you need the nack.

The hob sounds like the valve is open too far on all rings, I would get the landlord to get someone to come look at that though, it's not broken, it's just letting too much gas out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

Thanks a million! Is not so much I don't know how to use the grill, it's just that I've no idea how to light it and I'm a little nervous with the gas. There is a lighter on the oven but it looks a long time dead (it's an old enough oven to be fair). I'll give my land lord a buzz anyway tomorrow

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The problem with the lighter may be as simple as a blown fuse.

Advertisement