Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloning HID keyfobs

Options
  • 13-11-2010 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some quick info. Wondering if anyone knows anywhere that will clone a HID keyfob, the little grey RFID-type things used in apartment blocks.
    My current landlord is charging 25 blips for a replacement one which I know for a fact is way over cost. You can buy them in bulk at <5 each.
    I could understand if it was like keys, where they might be using the extra funds to replace locks periodically for security reasons but these things are pretty easily programmable after sale.

Cheers if anyone can help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

Nevore wrote: »
    My current landlord is charging 25 blips for a replacement one which I know for a fact is way over cost. You can buy them in bulk at <5 each.

Are you buying them in bulk?

To be honest, I hope you can't find anywhere that will do this for you (but I'm not saying it's impossible). The cards are used to give access, not only to your apartment but to others as well and I'm not sure how happy they'd be knowing you're cloning them. How would you feel if your neighbours were giving out keys to the first door to your apartment?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Oh, I know it's not impossible.

I'm not buying them in bulk but I found a site that sells identical ones, ten for sixty dollars and presumably cheaper again for the kind of stock a security company would need.

You can save the moralising by the way. I won't be "giving" them out. I just want a spare, which the management are happy to provide albeit with a twenty five euro fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

Id say if you both one online judging by its low tech security the clone key fob you would buy it would work in every single apartment block in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

€25 for a replacement key fob, that's hardly profiteering. Do you think the landlord or security company are making huge profits on it? I'd just be greatfull their charging so little.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I was recently quoted €80 by my apartments management company to get a fob for our front gate. €25 really isnt that expensive to be fair...

Its probably easier just to get one from the landlord anyway. By the time you find and buy one online (one, not in bulk, so its going to cost more than you think it will based on the sites youve seen), then pay someone to program it for you I doubt youll be saving a whole lot; more than likely not enough to compensate for the effort involved.

Just my two cents...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭niamh4626

Try A1 Locks on Amiens street 01 8550625 - I got one done for my brother the other week. Only trouble is if the original fob/swipe breaks, the cloned one will discontinue to work either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

niamh4626 wrote: »
    Try A1 Locks on Amiens street 01 8550625 - I got one done for my brother the other week. Only trouble is if the original fob/swipe breaks, the cloned one will discontinue to work either.
    Cheers Niamh, nice to get a constructive answer. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Also, if the security providers do an audit, and find cloned fobs in use, they can disable those fobs, so not only your new fob but the old one will be useless.

You talk about buying in bulk. Most developments only buy in bulk at the start and then don't keep a whole lot of stock.

I think the fee of €25 is more than reasonible.

Advertisement