Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to approach Landlord

Options
  • 16-03-2019 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Just looking for advice on how to approach our landlord about the following.

We get on great with him which is good on one hand but bad on the other. Its like living at home again in our parents house.

There is an annex at the back of the property that he said before we started renting the house that he would be staying in 2-3 nights a week. So we thought ok we can live with that but he is here 3-4 times a day everyday since we moved in. Sometimes even more. He has only stayed in the annex 2 or 3 nights though. He left his dog here because hes old and didnt want to move him which i understand. I said i would look after him and feed him but he comes in at about 6.30-7am to feed the dog everyday and goes into the annex for a half hour or so. He still has his post go to the mailbox at the gate of the house so he comes in from 1-2 monday to friday. Weekends he comes out just the once and stays a few hours. He brings cars into the property all the time to clean up and sell and has the prospective buyers come here. People are always coming in to take tools out of the shed or borrow the trailer without any kind of warning they are coming. He tells us to open the windows even on the coldest days, tells us to opens the curtains and then looks in when walking past the window. At christmas we had a bunch of battery operated decorations up as well as the christmas tree obviously and he commented on it about the electricity bill. We pay our electricity bill every two months and when its due. Hes commented about the kids watching tv early in the morning, lights being on and a few other things about the house. We love it here and get on great with the landlord so its just a shame that he acts like our father and is basically like watchdog but we just want to see what advice we can get on how to deal with him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Kaleb2015 wrote: »
    Just looking for advice on how to approach our landlord about the following.

We get on great with him which is good on one hand but bad on the other. Its like living at home again in our parents house.

There is an annex at the back of the property that he said before we started renting the house that he would be staying in 2-3 nights a week. So we thought ok we can live with that but he is here 3-4 times a day everyday since we moved in. Sometimes even more. He has only stayed in the annex 2 or 3 nights though. He left his dog here because hes old and didnt want to move him which i understand. I said i would look after him and feed him but he comes in at about 6.30-7am to feed the dog everyday and goes into the annex for a half hour or so. He still has his post go to the mailbox at the gate of the house so he comes in from 1-2 monday to friday. Weekends he comes out just the once and stays a few hours. He brings cars into the property all the time to clean up and sell and has the prospective buyers come here. People are always coming in to take tools out of the shed or borrow the trailer without any kind of warning they are coming. He tells us to open the windows even on the coldest days, tells us to opens the curtains and then looks in when walking past the window. At christmas we had a bunch of battery operated decorations up as well as the christmas tree obviously and he commented on it about the electricity bill. We pay our electricity bill every two months and when its due. Hes commented about the kids watching tv early in the morning, lights being on and a few other things about the house. We love it here and get on great with the landlord so its just a shame that he acts like our father and is basically like watchdog but we just want to see what advice we can get on how to deal with him.

This is odd.
    Have you got a lease?
    Are you a tenant or is this rent a room scheme.
    It's probably a case of deal with it or move out.
    Personal it sounds very intrusive and I'd be gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

People come in all shapes & sizes. If you get on well, sure isn't that the best. You could just politely decline or ignore some of his advice that might be OTT. Just smile and say 'we'd prefer xyz or feel more comfortable with xyz'

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Kaleb2015

Brego888 wrote: »
    This is odd.
    Have you got a lease?
    Are you a tenant or is this rent a room scheme.
    It's probably a case of deal with it or move out.
    Personal it sounds very intrusive and I'd be gone.

We didn’t sign a lease so would be a part 4 and we are tenants. We talked about moving but it took us 5-6 months to find this place. Our son is developmentally delayed and has come on great here because there is plenty of space in the house and around the grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Is there a separate meter for the annex?
    If not you are paying for the electricity LL uses doing up cars etc".

You say he is "basically like a watchdog". Well that has a good side, it means he is keeping an eye on the place for you.

If you like the place and the ESB thing is ok and the young lad is happy I would say hang in there.

In years to come you might look back on this experience fondly. Not everyone gets to rub along with a friendly slightly eccentric landlord, you'll have a few tales to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,722 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What he's doing is illegal, and you could make a formal complaint etc.

But

You probably won't get his behaviour to change: he's clearly attached to the place. Possibly he even moved out to somewhere smaller so a family who needed the space could use the house - some older people are doing that, because they know how tight housing is.

It sounds to me like he's probably a good home-security system too - perfect if you ever go on holiday.

I would just treat him like a well-meaning elderly uncle.

Oh - and he's right about opening the windows for a bit every day even when it's cold. Airflow is essential to prevent mould.

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    Is there a separate meter for the annex?
    If not you are paying for the electricity LL uses doing up cars etc".

You say he is "basically like a watchdog". Well that has a good side, it means he is keeping an eye on the place for you.

If you like the place and the ESB thing is ok and the young lad is happy I would say hang in there.

In years to come you might look back on this experience fondly. Not everyone gets to rub along with a friendly slightly eccentric landlord, you'll have a few tales to tell.

He pays a portion that we are happy enough with to cover the cost of the annex. I have cameras around the property that i get notifications whenever anyone is around so i would be happy enough with that. We just feel watched.

If the annex is connected to the house then you are licensees and not tenants. He has maintained a room and mainted very regular access to the house therefore you are licensees and have no say over what the owner does and it is most certainly not illegal as another poster suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Kaleb2015 wrote: »
    He pays a portion that we are happy enough with to cover the cost of the annex. I have cameras around the property that i get notifications whenever anyone is around so i would be happy enough with that. We just feel watched.

Happy with the rent, bills, place in general but all of that is no good to you if you can't come to terms with LL.
    You have little choice, either have a heart to heart with him or move.
    If it was me I'd stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

If the annex is connected to the house then you are licensees and not tenants. He has maintained a room and mainted very regular access to the house therefore you are licensees and have no say over what the owner does and it is most certainly not illegal as another poster suggested.

As above why do you think you have a tenancy? Not to have a lease is unusual. You don’t have to have one but what proof do you have that you are tenants..date of moving in and how is rent paid.

Is tenancy registered with RTB. I’m just trying to see what evidence you have of tenancy. Bills in your own name is good..that’s something at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It sounds like he was very upfront about him using the space and staying there before you rented. He isn't coming into the rented space, If all he does is say the lights are on then you are doing okay. He will prob keep the place in tip top shape and fix anything that breaks that day.

• Advertisement

As above why do you think you have a tenancy? Not to have a lease is unusual. You don’t have to have one but what proof do you have that you are tenants..date of moving in and how is rent paid.

Is tenancy registered with RTB. I’m just trying to see what evidence you have of tenancy. Bills in your own name is good..that’s something at least.

We just didnt sign anything when we moved in but we are registered here with the rtb.

The annex is away from the house. He said he would stay there 2-3 nights a week which he never does but instead is on the property multiple times a day everyday. We dont mind as much that hes here but telling us to turn lights off when we pay the bill or keep doors closed or the windows and curtains open is a bit much and then looking in. Over christmas we had the lights on right up until he said it to us and they didnt go on after that. Like we get on well with him dont get me wrong but we just want some privacy. Apart from that the thing that really bugs us is when random strangers show up to look at the cars or someone comes to get something from the shed. Like the other day we had just pulled into the drive and some car followed us and right over to the shed and went in without a word. Over halloween while the landlord was on holiday a bunch of lads showed up at like 1am and started setting off fireworks in the front garden. Its the likes of that we want to end.

Advertisement