Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What areas in cork or mayo are good?

Options
  • 24-02-2019 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi
    Researching on what areas are good enough to live safe with facilities
    My friend choosing mayo and cork
    If anyone already lives there,can you please help us know what areas are affordable,safe and with facilities handy enough nearby?
    Childcare stuff too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

memomtoo wrote: »
    Hi
    If anyone already lives there,can you please help us know what areas are affordable,safe and with facilities handy enough nearby?
    Childcare stuff too?

I'm from Cork but it's the biggest county in Ireland and apart from childcare you haven't given us much to go on.

Why moving? Access to a car? Work needed? HAP accepted? Ages of children? Budget? Definition of "facilities" etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Hi
    They are at opposite ends of the country almost.
    Not really comparable.
    Mayo is mostly rural.
    Cork has a large city and some rural areas.
    As the previous poster said, insufficient detail to give any real advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭memomtoo

Caranica wrote: »
    I'm from Cork but it's the biggest county in Ireland and apart from childcare you haven't given us much to go on.

Why moving? Access to a car? Work needed? HAP accepted? Ages of children? Budget? Definition of "facilities" etc etc

i work but not a big salary:) but manageable with something thats 700-800 rent may be
    i know not many options but dont drive yet, planning to move for own peace, where i can afford, stay safe with kid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

i work but not a big salary:) but manageable with something thats 700-800 rent may be
    i know not many options but dont drive yet, planning to move for own peace, where i can afford, stay safe with kid

You'll need a car in Mayo and for Cork that budget is very, very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭memomtoo

Heard spencer court is good one in mayo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Will that job transfer? One kid? More? Age(s)? You still haven't told us what you mean by facilities. How are you going to move and get around if you don't have a car? That budget won't get you anywhere nice with decent public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Westport would be nice.
    Pretty, small, tidy and friendly town.
    Most facilities accessible within walking distance which would suit you if you don't drive.
    Public transport to castlebar is good.
    Few trains a day to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

700 - 800 for a one bedroom apartment or for a 3 bed house? You really need to provide more details of all your requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Broadband in Mayo might be an issue too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭dennyk

Where you are working is going to be your biggest concern in finding a place, if you don't drive. Not much in the way of transit in Mayo, and not much in the way of housing that cheap in Cork City itself (though maybe in the surrounding areas, but again, transit links are lacking at best...).

• Advertisement
Advertisement