Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway Races - Only a few days to go

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

g detailedpag

In fairness to the Galway Races the traffic management is pretty good; GAA could learn a lesson on how it's down

Indeed. It was very bad a few years ago, but last yearo or two the guards had a detailed traffic management plan designed and published, with a lot of effort made to reduce opposing flows.

This year there have been a few tweaks to bus and road closure times, but the pattern is working well ad far as I can see.

There was a slight problem with an incredible number of taxis blocking Forster St yesterday evening, which jammed traffic right up to bohermore, but that's the worst I've heard of this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,004 ✭✭✭what_traffic

There was a slight problem with an incredible number of taxis blocking Forster St yesterday evening, which jammed traffic right up to bohermore, but that's the worst I've heard of this year.
    Ya they were blocking pedestrian crossings on Eyre Sq /Forster St as well when they were doing this. City Council should create temp ranks for them in the City Centre for busy weeks like this and the Art's festival

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

boardbro wrote: »
    anywhere you can get discounts for the races on thursday or friday?

I MIGHT have two tickets for today (Thur) but I won't know till 12. The cash will go to charity. I'll find another established Boardsie to confirm I haven't pocketed it.
    leave a message before midday if you are still looking and I'll let you know either way.

We are probably both breaking the charter btw. Sorry mods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Ya they were blocking pedestrian crossings on Eyre Sq /Forster St as well when they were doing this. City Council should create temp ranks for them in the City Centre for busy weeks like this and the Art's festival

I left a few years ago and that was still a problem then. They seem to just line up however they want. You'd have cars thinking they are in traffic when really the taxi in front of them has park. Chaos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Doesn't seem as busy as last year in town? Didn't go out though to Ballybrit.

Might go to the Omey Island races this Sunday but it looks like torrential rain will ruin it.

Busy at the course, a bit quieter in town than last year, can't wait to get back up to ballybrit again today and get on beer for the cure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Anyone else notice a large increase in the amount of dickie bow wearers this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,267 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Anyone else notice a large increase in the amount of dickie bow wearers this year?

That be fashionable nowadays young man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Hipster paradise this week :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are there many 50-something in Halo during RaceWeek?

http://galwaybayfm.ie/garda-appeal-following-assault-city-nightclub/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Probably? I think it tends to cater for the older crowd in general. I've never actually been in the place though.

I was in halo last night myself, did see any sign of hassle. Surprised to read this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,267 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I was in halo last night myself, did see any sign of hassle. Surprised to read this.

In fairness youd be surprised by anything which was remotely negative during race week. Town was apparently packed with older, redneck type gents lastnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Are there many 50-something in Halo during RaceWeek?

http://galwaybayfm.ie/garda-appeal-following-assault-city-nightclub/

Not a huge shock. Seems like something like this happens every year. Wasn't a lad beaten badly down by Mill St a couple of years ago. And another fella in Eyre Square before that. 6 women were attacked in broad daylight one other year.

But then, if there's a bank holiday or busy night something like this also seems to happen...maybe with more consistency during Race Week, though..I guess because of the size of the crowd.

There should probably be more of an effort made to eradicate this kind of behavior, it's all too common.

I'm hoping the Gardaí are not back to turning a blind eye to drink drivers for the week. I can remember that from when I was younger. It scared the bejaysus out of me. You'd have guys p1ssed drunk going out of the parking lot and down the hill out the gate with the Gardaí right there watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Walking down Shop Street tonight. Packed at the fork.
    Some guy was doing the "hang onto this bar for 2 mins and win 100 euro" challenge. I was whisked away before the end, hope he won it.

• Advertisement

In fairness youd be surprised by anything which was remotely negative during race week. Town was apparently packed with older, redneck type gents lastnight.

No, I was surprised that I or some of my group didn't see some commotion in the club when someone was attacked not that I don't believe it would happen.

I thought town was actually okish last night (Thursday) but the crowd as the races wasn't great, too many rough idiots. It's only the thursday they come out so I think an entry policy needs to be introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

biko wrote: »
    Walking down Shop Street tonight. Packed at the fork.
    Some guy was doing the "hang onto this bar for 2 mins and win 100 euro" challenge. I was whisked away before the end, hope he won it.

He did! :pac:

Advertisement