Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clutch and dmf replacement help needed Ford Mondeo 2008

Options
  • 18-09-2020 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I've had a 2008 Ford mondeo for about 2 years and have had very minor issues with it and it's the best buy I've ever made however I've recently moved to begin studying for University and I noticed a knocking noise. Took it to local garage and clutch and Dual mass Flywheel need replacing but got quoted 1300 for total work and after pricing around 1250 was the cheapest I could find which it very pricey for me as I'm switching to PT work in order to focus on studies. I can make it to Northern ireland to get the work done as I've heard it's more affordable there but does anyone reccomend mechanics in the enniskillen area as that would be the closest town I can reach? I would really appreciate it as mechanics down here are very expensive.
    I would really appreciate any suggestions

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Back Home

Your car is beyond economical repair, buy an old 2007 ish Toyota a avensis petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Back Home wrote: »
    Your car is beyond economical repair, buy an old 2007 ish Toyota a avensis petrol.

Disagree.

Car is arguably worth more than the repair and OP may need something economical. If the Mondeo is otherwise sound then it’s worth maintaining it as you would any car.

You do realise that Al Hayes sells any kind of scrap to the public?
    That’s not a retail price. That’s a car that likely is in worse nick than the OPs car.

On that basis you shouldn’t bother taxing a €500 car.

Here are some of what Al Hayes has for sale in Ennis

0210355-A-749-E-4623-A4-DA-28-CD997-DFD0-A.jpg9-EEAE527-3380-453-F-A6-EA-54-D1-DD0-BBD22.jpg

• Advertisement

Scrap value

Scrap value

Exactly.

So if the OP spends €1300 on getting a clutch, he’s getting a car which he knows for the last few years with the benefit of a new clutch and DMF.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Clutch on a Mondeo is an expensive job. Seem to remember you have to remove the front sub frame to get at the clutch, so there's a lot of labour hours involved.

Can't see it being substantially cheaper up North unless their labour rates are a lot cheaper than a decent indy down south.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Chaman

I can't afford to buy a older model due to the fact I am on a tight budget with a car otherwise I'd have no issue with paying full price. However there is another option I've heard. Converting from DMF to SMF which is cheaper but what are your thoughts?

• Advertisement

Is yours 1.8 or 2.0

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Chaman

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is yours 1.8 or 2.0

• Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Scrap value

So why so eager to pay 1300 to 2000 for other random 08 mondeos that could be at scrap value in a few weeks when spending the same money would guarantee a known good car with a brand new clutch and flywheel.

Chaman wrote: »
    I can't afford to buy a older model due to the fact I am on a tight budget with a car otherwise I'd have no issue with paying full price. However there is another option I've heard. Converting from DMF to SMF which is cheaper but what are your thoughts?

Converting from DMF to SMF- bad idea
    old diesels are not worth fixing

mickdw wrote: »
    So why so eager to pay 1300 to 2000 for other random 08 mondeos that could be at scrap value in a few weeks when spending the same money would guarantee a known good car with a brand new clutch and flywheel.[/QUOTE

]the op should buy and random 07 avensis petrol, clutch replacement 250e
    The savings having an old diesel can be wiped out with one repair. eg 1330e clutch for example.

Exactly.

So if the OP spends €1300 on getting a clutch, he’s getting a car which he knows for the last few years with the benefit of a new clutch and DMF.

He's getting the benefit of a new clutch and flywheel and that's all. lot of other things to go wrong in a car especially a diesel.

How many km on the clock?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭mk7r

An 07 avensis is not exactly a paragon of reliability, they suffer serious rust issues and who 8n god's name can you get to change a clutch in one for 250? Fix your car op, single solid flywheel will be fine

mk7r wrote: »
    An 07 avensis is not exactly a paragon of reliability, they suffer serious rust issues and who 8n god's name can you get to change a clutch in one for 250? Fix your car op, single solid flywheel will be fine

A petrol Avensis is amongst the most dependable and cheap to fix cars out there.

Would agree about the €250 clutch. The person you quoted claims to be a mechanic so maybe he’ll fit it for free for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

You know the car you have. Youve probably tax and nct value left on it thats lost if you scrap. Itll take a day to fix no driving and wasting time for a replacement, ffs Have the rear main seal replaced while youre in there and off you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It is abit of a scandal though that clutches are now costing this kind of cash.
    I know there can be work involved but parts cost is too high too when flywheel is involved.
    I recently did a TT quattro clutch and i must have been 40 hours at it but that was on my back on the floor with only basic tools.

mickdw wrote: »
    It is abit of a scandal though that clutches are now costing this kind of cash.
    I know there can be work involved but parts cost is too high too when flywheel is involved.
    I recently did a TT quattro clutch and i must have been 40 hours at it but that was on my back on the floor with only basic tools.

Back in the day I could change a clutch in a cortina in forty five minutes and all tools were basic, how times have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭mk7r

A petrol Avensis is amongst the most dependable and cheap to fix cars out there.

Would agree about the €250 clutch. The person you quoted claims to be a mechanic so maybe he’ll fit it for free for you.

Not sure id agree with that statement, subframe rust is becoming a big issue on them similar to mazda etc of the era

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

I'll probably get shot for saying this but another option could be not to to do the clutch and flywheel.
    I know a good few lads with knocks and bangs coming from flywheels on older toyotas and vws for the last few years . The clutches arent slipping and the general feeling is if or when the cars give expensive trouble they will get replsced.
    A 07 avensis i know has been knocking and banging for the last 30k miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

9935452 wrote: »
    I'll probably get shot for saying this but another option could be not to to do the clutch and flywheel.
    I know a good few lads with knocks and bangs coming from flywheels on older toyotas and vws for the last few years . The clutches arent slipping and the general feeling is if or when the cars give expensive trouble they will get replsced.
    A 07 avensis i know has been knocking and banging for the last 30k miles

I’d be inclined to agree with this- drive on, you’ll prob knock another year or more out of it.
    Flywheel was rattling on our mondeo for a good 40k before I changed it. Drive it easy- dip the clutch starting and stopping engine- don’t accelerate hard and don’t slow the car through the box too aggressively and it will last you longer. They are designed to take plenty of abuse, so wouldn’t be sinking 1200 the second one starts rattling on an older car worth v little.

Advertisement