Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swapping out heating timer switch

Options
  • 11-09-2020 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Can anyone recommend a timer switch for Central heating which has network connectivity.
    I would like to be able to control the heating on/off timer remotely.

I currently have a standard analogue timer switch with just on/off functionality.

No zones as of yet, will be thinking about adding a zone valve later to have rads and/ or hot water only.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Simplest would be a SonOff. Simple on/of wifi switch with timers etc. There is also Belkin Wemo stuff.
    At the higher end are Hive, Nest and a plethora of others.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Subscribers Posts: 684 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

I'm pretty much in the same position as yourself. I got the old time clock replaced last year with a Climote for free through Electric Ireland. There was no zones in the heating system here at the time but they said it's easy enough to add a zone to the hub when upgrading.

I'm getting work done in the next few weeks, zoning the hot water, grant approved with SEAI. I will upgrading the oil boiler and the cylinder and I have bought a wireless thermostat and probe from Climote that sits onto the tank and can be added to the Climote hub.

In the year I've had the Climote, I've found it decent, no issues at all. I believe there are better alternatives out there but I find this grand, I will make better use of it now in a few weeks. App for the phone is pretty handy, free for the first year, 20eu a year after that.

Edit: You don't need the phone app to control it remotely, you could log in to the device through their website, but obviously the app is handier.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

I'm pretty much in the same position as yourself. I got the old time clock replaced last year with a Climote for free through Electric Ireland. There was no zones in the heating system here at the time but they said it's easy enough to add a zone to the hub when upgrading.

I'm getting work done in the next few weeks, zoning the hot water, grant approved with SEAI. I will upgrading the oil boiler and the cylinder and I have bought a wireless thermostat and probe from Climote that sits onto the tank and can be added to the Climote hub.

In the year I've had the Climote, I've found it decent, no issues at all. I believe there are better alternatives out there but I find this grand, I will make better use of it now in a few weeks. App for the phone is pretty handy, free for the first year, 20eu a year after that.

Edit: You don't need the phone app to control it remotely, you could log in to the device through their website, but obviously the app is handier.

+1 for Climote - I picked one up 2 years ago when it was on offer and replaced an older analogue one - a great piece of kit. <snip> would you have a ballpark figure for boiler replacement+cylinder upgrade with SEAI grant
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

From what I heard there is no grant for boiler upgrade but there is a 700 euro grant for upgrading heating controls etc

• Subscribers Posts: 684 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

coxy123 wrote: »
    +1 for Climote - I picked one up 2 years ago when it was on offer and replaced an older analogue one - a great piece of kit. <snip> would you have a ballpark figure for boiler replacement+cylinder upgrade with SEAI grant

As lucast2007us says, the grant is just for upgrading the controls. I'm afraid I don't have a figure. I'm still waiting for the plumber to give me a price, he's flat to the mat and very hard to get these days. I also have a fair bit of additional work so I'm not sure the price (when I get one) would even be any good to you.

Anyway the work involved in adding zones to an old heating system would probably be pretty specific to the property and how the heating system is laid out, I got lucky in that whatever way our pipes are situated, I don't have to go digging through the floor with new pipes.

Edit:
    Price received: 3.5k +vat.
    - Boiler
    - Hot Water Cylinder (needed a new one anyway but went for a more expensive one for future solar use)
    - hot water zone
    - replacing 3 rads; adding TRVs to all rads
    - sorting a fire back-boiler

Think that was it.

Grant 750 (minus Ber 100) - 650
    Removed and sold kitchen range - 300

Hopefully around 3k all in.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

• Advertisement
Advertisement