Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Qashqai 2012 J10 ball joint

Options
  • 18-09-2020 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any idea if the lower control arm ball joint for a 2012 qashqai can be replaced seperately or do I need to change out the entire arm? The joints are sold seperately but I've read some conflicting views on the repair so I'm not too sure. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

You can do it seperatey but it needs to be pressed into place iirc so it may be cheaper or more practical to do the whole arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭turbostan

Asmodean wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea if the lower control arm ball joint for a 2012 qashqai can be replaced seperately or do I need to change out the entire arm? The joints are sold seperately but I've read some conflicting views on the repair so I'm not too sure. Cheers.

Press-in ball joint, common nct failure, not a big job at all

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭mk7r

You can do it seperatey but it needs to be pressed into place iirc so it may be cheaper or more practical to do the whole arm.

Sometimes they are a one shot deal too, press the old one out but the new one has nothing to grab

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

We just replace the arm as got a few ball joints of wrong size and bushings are usually worn also and many inner cv boots on left side are common.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I'll probably just replace the arms altogether for peace of mind as it was a boot failure on one side and worn joint on the other so they're both on the way out I reckon and the bushings are looking a bit tired too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Those arms can be a bastard with access to those 2 bolts under the drive shaft with limited access with drive shaft above it,as one nearly needs the drive shaft moved to one side to get your socket on those bolts.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭turbostan

Expensive way to do it imo, garages are replacing those ball joints every day of the week,

Advertisement