Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Points leap possible?

Options
  • 17-04-2015 2:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Im currently repeating 6th year and have been absent for the majority of the year due to illness. I have also not been able to study because of this and was only able to achieve around 200 points in the leaving cert last year and dropped to 55 points in the mocks this year. My first choice course is around 300 points and I am beyond the point of stressed due to my lack of work done and my absenteeism. My subjects carry a very large workload and are not practical so I am worried I wont cover all of the syllabus. In summary I am asking is a leap from 55 points to 300 possible in such a short timespan? should I attend school for the rest of the year or study at home to make up for lost time? What kind of cramming tips is there? Should I drop to ordinary level subjects?

Subjects: (2015 Mock Results)

English(H) - 53%
    History(H) - 29%
    Biology(H) - 23%
    Business(H) - 25%
    Geography(H) - 30%
    Spanish(Ordinary) - 31%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

It's possible. Jumping 12-15% in each subject would easily do it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

You clearly are in an undesirable position due to your illness and your subsequent absence from school. However it isn't too late.

Maybe you should talk to some teachers at your school. I know all schools are different but some do a lot of revision leading up to the exam. This could be of benefit to you now.

The good news is that there is still time left. This means that if you play your cards right you could increase your score. You just need to make the best use of your time. Get the basics right, learn the important concepts and definitions. Look at the exam papers and practice as much as you can.
    Re dropping to ol,only you know what's best for you now not random people online.. Maybe ask your teachers for some advice

Good luck and if it doesn't go to plan then there is always the option of repeating next year. There is no shame in this and if gets you the course you want then it's worth considering!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Another thing to consider is the DARE scheme. A lot of people don't realise you can apply if you have an illness. It's too late this year to apply but if you're reapplying next year to the CAO it's worth looking in to, to see if you're eligible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Captain Hman

its definitely achievable, i got 165 points in my mocks and failed ordinary maths , ended up getting 295 in the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I want from 100 - 245 and now I'm a programming course I'm flying in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement