Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blade Runner 2049 **Spoilers from post 444**

1101112131416»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I just picked up a copy of Do Android's Dream of Electric Sheep by PK Dick. This is the book that the first film was based on. It will be interesting to note the major differences and will start reading it later in the week. Some of the differences I know of: that Deckard is married to an Iranian woman (the book was written in the Shah of Iran's era and the film dropped this because it was made in early Revolutionary Guards era Iran), that he was a bounty hunter not a cop, that the book was set in San Francisco after a nuclear war, replicants were called androids and the term blade runner is never used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I read it years ago. It's a very different story, and interesting to read with the movie in mind. Some great ideas at the heart of it, but the movie is not a remotely faithful adaption.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I thought that
    it's one of the few adaptions where the film is better than the book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭furiousox

4K set with whiskey glasses arrived today.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭emo72

furiousox wrote: »
    4K set with whiskey glasses arrived today.

jealous dude. so fukin jealous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭furiousox

Still available on amazon uk for £58.

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Seems a tad odd that a known 'flop' would have (presumably) such expensive gimmick home releases. Surely they'd try to recoup via a lowball dvd / bluray release

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

pixelburp wrote: »
    Seems a tad odd that a known 'flop' would have (presumably) such expensive gimmick home releases. Surely they'd try to recoup via a lowball dvd / bluray release

except those who are fans are really fanatic and snap up these gimmicky releases. Was this really expected to be a mainstream success?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

amazon.it are doing the blu-ray whisky set for 40.50 landed to Ireland (euro)
    highlight the blu-ray bit, it's not the 4k version unfortunately, but still a good price if you wanted the BD...

except those who are fans are really fanatic and snap up these gimmicky releases. Was this really expected to be a mainstream success?

Blade Runner 2049 is a best seller on DVD in every shop I was in of late. I feel films like this have a big following and that box office/cinema sales are no longer a true indicator of success. At one time, you had a wait a full year to rent and 2 years to buy an old VHS of a film after it was in the cinema. Films like 1989's Batman for example. If one was interested in seeing it then, you had to go to the cinema or wait until 1990 or 1991. Today, all one has to wait is 4 months after cinema release to buy a film.

• Advertisement

mikhail wrote: »
    I read it years ago. It's a very different story, and interesting to read with the movie in mind. Some great ideas at the heart of it, but the movie is not a remotely faithful adaption.

So far, I can see some of the book is like the movie. For example, the android killing the original investigator, Deckard visiting the corporation and meeting Rachael. Have gotten this far into it for now. Even the dialog between Deckard and Rachael is the same as the film in places. The significance of the owl in the film is explained but there is a greater explanation of the value of scarce animals in the book than the film. The film hints at post apocalypse without specific mention but the book outlines a world war occurred between America and an unstated enemy (relations between America and Russia are implied to be good so it is someone else maybe stated later or implied). Other parts like the Isidor story are not in the film.

By 1982, it was common practice in the movie business not to faithfully adapt films from books. Look at all the Bond films (On Her Majesty's Secret Service was the last faithful adaptation of the Fleming book source). The idea was to take some of the book, update things and put in some new ideas and take out old ideas. I love the Blade Runner film and am so far enjoying the book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Balls! my Blaster edition was stopped by customs and sent back because of the gun :(

Edit: got home and guess what was waiting for me and my paypal account has been refunded already :D

L0ol8kO.jpg

GJVmGmQ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭tigger123

mikhail wrote: »

I'd second that. While I enjoyed the book I felt like they were two different stories set in the same universe.

tigger123 wrote: »
    I'd second that. While I enjoyed the book I felt like they were two different stories set in the same universe.

Going through the book (nearly finished), it is clear there are some similar issues but other issues are not. See earlier post for earlier parts of the comparison. Here are some further observations:

It is clear that the JR Isidor character is the equivalent of the 25 year old man who ages faster than normal in the film. Instead of the Snake woman replicant, we have an opera singer called Lola Luft. Roy Batty is spelt Baty in the book and has a wife and Pris is in it too (in the film, Roy and Pris were a couple). Most of the issues to do with animal scarcity is not covered in the film. Deckard's buying of the goat for example and the torture of the spider by the androids. As I enter the last section, it seems set up similar to the film: Deckard is to retire replicants/androids in a building and it is the same 3 plus 1 as in the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Going through the book (nearly finished), it is clear there are some similar issues but other issues are not. See earlier post for earlier parts of the comparison. Here are some further observations:

It is clear that the JR Isidor character is the equivalent of the 25 year old man who ages faster than normal in the film. Instead of the Snake woman replicant, we have an opera singer called Lola Luft. Roy Batty is spelt Baty in the book and has a wife and Pris is in it too (in the film, Roy and Pris were a couple). Most of the issues to do with animal scarcity is not covered in the film. Deckard's buying of the goat for example and the torture of the spider by the androids. As I enter the last section, it seems set up similar to the film: Deckard is to retire replicants/androids in a building and it is the same 3 plus 1 as in the film.

Not too sure Roy and Pris were a "couple". They do seem "closer" than the others though. Although, to me they lack the ability to be emotional enough to be an actual loving couple.

The animal scarcity is hinted at in the film. Deckard asks Rachel if "her" owl is artificial. She says "of course it is" in a sort of admonishment, implying that it was a kind of stupid question. Plus, the snake woman's snake is a reproduction that Deckard has to get varified.

As for Dick's book and the film, they're almost worlds apart.

Always prefered the film myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Just finished watching it for the second time. So much going on with it I felt I needed to watch again to form a solid opinion

Visually the movie is absolutely stunning, from design, to cinematography, to sets and costumes. The performance are irreproachable. The soundtrack is excellent. The edgy, angsty, sparse atmosphere and tone is suitably tech noir. Some of the new concepts are interesting and well executed, the virtual girlfriend, the evolution of the Tyrell Corporation, the merging or the virtual and physical bodies, the Replicate baseline testing - cells interlinked, interlinked. That's as far as I can go with the positives.

The plot and story line is woeful. This for me far outweighs the positives. It all hangs on one remarkable coincidence after another, sprinkled with plot holes.

- The Blade runner charged with hunting Sapper just happens to be K who is linked with the miracle birth.

- The person K goes to, to investigate real memory implants just happens to be Deckard's daughter.

- K just happens to get shot down near significant orphanage. How did he get home BTW or get his car back for subsequent scenes?

- K goes to find the origin of the wood from the horse and just happens to bump into to Deckard.

- Where did K come from? At what point were the memories implanted? After the daughter had them anyway. What real purpose did implanting the memories in K serve?

- The replicant hooker latches on to K for what reason exactly? How is it known that he is investigating the birth at this point?

- When K meets the woman holding the baby in the photo, she says Sapper allowed K to kill him to protect the secret. That doesn't make any sense. It would have if K was the child and at that point we though K was the kid, but she knew he wasn't so why say it?

The movie started well but soon lost its direction and degenerated into a couple of hackneyed punch ups at the end (Deckard v K and K v Angry Henchwoman)

And what in the name of God were Wallace and Hanchwoman so angry about?

A beautiful mess.

6/10

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The replicant hooker was told by the leader of the replicant army to go talk to K at the food hall. The leader of the replicant army knew about the child so would have known Sapper's involvment so would have been following the news when he died.

I can't remember exactly now but was K not looking to go to the orphanage when he was shot down?

I didn't think Wallace was angry. Luv was, but then she is a replicant in a human's world and is hoping to find the child to further replicant's lives and so is pissed that the human's had the child killed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think Luv's anger is the giveaway that she wants the secrets of the child for herself, not for Wallace. She doesn't behave like someone just following orders.

Wombatman wrote: »
    Just finished watching it for the second time. So much going on with it I felt I needed to watch again to form a solid opinion

Visually the movie is absolutely stunning, from design, to cinematography, to sets and costumes. The performance are irreproachable. The soundtrack is excellent. The edgy, angsty, sparse atmosphere and tone is suitably tech noir. Some of the new concepts are interesting and well executed, the virtual girlfriend, the evolution of the Tyrell Corporation, the merging or the virtual and physical bodies, the Replicate baseline testing - cells interlinked, interlinked. That's as far as I can go with the positives.

The plot and story line is woeful. This for me far outweighs the positives. It all hangs on one remarkable coincidence after another, sprinkled with plot holes.

- The Blade runner charged with hunting Sapper just happens to be K who is linked with the miracle birth.

- The person K goes to, to investigate real memory implants just happens to be Deckard's daughter.

- K just happens to get shot down near significant orphanage. How did he get home BTW or get his car back for subsequent scenes?

- K goes to find the origin of the wood from the horse and just happens to bump into to Deckard.

- Where did K come from? At what point were the memories implanted? After the daughter had them anyway. What real purpose did implanting the memories in K serve?

- The replicant hooker latches on to K for what reason exactly? How is it known that he is investigating the birth at this point?

- When K meets the woman holding the baby in the photo, she says Sapper allowed K to kill him to protect the secret. That doesn't make any sense. It would have if K was the child and at that point we though K was the kid, but she knew he wasn't so why say it?

The movie started well but soon lost its direction and degenerated into a couple of hackneyed punch ups at the end (Deckard v K and K v Angry Henchwoman)

And what in the name of God were Wallace and Hanchwoman so angry about?

A beautiful mess.

6/10

I have to say I enjoy the film and have watched it 4 times. Deckard is introduced relatively late but I feel the best of the film occurs when he is there. It brings us back to the original. Of course as in all films and series, there are coincidences and they are often over-simplified but they have to be in order for things to work.

Naturally, I think there is an interest at the moment in fictional versions of a messed up future America or a world messed up partly due to a messed up America. Films and series like Mad Max Fury Road, Blade Runner 2049 and The Handmaid's Tale all give us an account of this albeit in different ways. While the current American regime and terrorist groups like ISIS can inspire a lot, it is important to remember that writers like Philip K Dick, Margaret Atwood and David Brinn as well as film-makers like Ridley Scott and George Miller were predicting much the same in the 1960s-1980s period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Harry Addignton

Possibly it's that his frosty attitude is undermined at whatever point he talks, seeming like he contemplated Marlon Brando a lot and for all an inappropriate reasons. Maybe this is on the grounds that his body bristles with tension and uneasiness, as though he isn't persuaded of his own agonizing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭Thou

Would be fantastic, 2049 was easily one of the best cinematic experiences I've had.

Can't wait for Dune, but another Blade Runner movie would be immense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Bord Gais are going to be showing Blade Runner with a live orchestra

https://bordgaisenergytheatre.ie/artist/blade-runner-live

Skerries wrote: »
    Bord Gais are going to be showing Blade Runner with a live orchestra

https://bordgaisenergytheatre.ie/artist/blade-runner-live

Yeah that was announced last year, got my tickets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

emmarobet wrote: »
    I am very happy to read this. This is the kind of manual that needs to be given and not the random misinformation that’s at the other blogs. Appreciate your sharing this best posting. The effort you made to share the knowledge. This is really a great stuff for sharing. Keep it up . Thanks for sharing.

eh, what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

eh, what?
    When I reported that post as a non-sequitur from a new account (so probably a bot), I failed to sound out the username.

Voight-Kampff not required.

emmarobet wrote: »
    I am very happy to read this. This is the kind of manual that needs to be given and not the random misinformation that’s at the other blogs. Appreciate your sharing this best posting. The effort you made to share the knowledge. This is really a great stuff for sharing. Keep it up . Thanks for sharing.

Definitely a replicant

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Bump on the thread, as details are scant enough for now so probably not worth its own thread in TV yet - but looks like Ridley Scott announced there's a Blade Runner TV series in gestation;

While on BBC’s flagship radio news show Today to promote his latest film House Of Gucci, the filmmaker revealed that the show is underway. “We have already written the pilot for Blade Runner and the bible. So, we’re already presenting Blade Runner as a TV show, the first 10 hours,” he shared. It’ll reportedly be a 10-part series.

He hasn’t provided details yet on the show’s plot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,810 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Any guesses if this will be prequel, sequel or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Shred

Always a little ... weird when Amazon adapts a property with a strong antipathy towards mega-corporations.

Surprising but pleasant news. 50 years after this sequel movie so I guess no chance of any retuning characters then.

😁

It seems unlikely there'll be any, other than maybe token, links to 2049 considering it wasn't even mentioned by their head of television in that piece; the focus is all on the original out of fear they might put off (the minority of) people who didn't like 2049 and even slightly jeopardise their upcoming project (just like Disney with The Last Jedi, although that remains a lot more divisive.)!

Hopefully I'm wrong and it's just a case of carefully wording their initial press release to grab as much attention as possible.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I opened the first page of this thread by accident and saw the above, skipped forward to the release to check what they thought, was great :D

"Only saw it late last night, and don't feel like I've fully digested it yet; on balance that's probably a good thing as it has given me a lot to think about, especially in regards the original film. Like a lot of film fans Blade Runner is a bit of a classic of the genre, but chewing over its sequel, my first reaction is that I think I enjoyed 2049 more. I think the story was stronger, the world more defined & intriguing, and at this stage in my eyes, Denis Villeneuve can do no wrong. I'm leaning towards the idea that Blade Runner 2049 was simply a better film than the first, but like I said I'm going to think on it a little more."

• Advertisement

Yup. Just goes to show one shouldn't prejudge too much. I think Villeneuve had a huge mountain to climb either way, and I underestimated his skill to make it work. IIRC the original announcement was around the time certain icons from the 80s and 90s were getting flaccid sequels and remakes (eg, Total Recall, RoboCop etc.) so presumed that's what was in store. A big 'aul wet fart.

Also underestimated just how much creative freedom was given to make such a slow-burn, $250 million epic. A bit of a "blank cheque" project and then some. By rights it shouldn't have worked, and had it not been given to someone as singular as Villeneuve, probably wouldn't have. Of course, still flopped at the box-office.

I had low expectations too so was very pleasantly surprised. I rarely go to the cinema any more but just realised I've only gone for Dune and Blade Runner in the past years, well done Denis. Pity a great movie like that will flow, only movie I've ever gone more than once.

I too was skeptical when I heard it was being made and literally only decided on the week of release that I'd go to see it after all - I was absolutely blown away and couldn't stop thinking about it for days after. I ended up seeing it twice more in the cinema and have watched it numerous times at home since. It's without doubt one of my favourite films of all time and, for me, clearly better than the original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'll have to sit down to it again some time.

I should say, I still believe 2049 is the better movie, better story. The original rightly sits as an iconic sea-change in cinema and Sci-Fi... but the film gets by purely on mood; there's barely any actual plot. Harrison Ford barely existed as a protagonist.

The sequel had a more engaging story, even hinting at sequel potential without drowning the thing with nods and presumptive follow-ups. It managed to avoid becoming a Greatest Hits record of iconography, instead rendering a cyberpunk world through the prism of climate collapse. It genuinely felt like the world, 30 or 40 years on. And, heretical as it might be to say, the sequel was a much more beautiful film, with so many gorgeous compositions.

That it got made at all, exactly as its creative forces wanted without compromise (AFAIK), was a minor miracle. I see it was $150 million, not 250, that's my mistake. That's still some chunk of change for 2017, it's a shame it was a relative flop.

I've watched it again recently enough and it holds up. One definitely needs to be in the mood for it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I haven't seen it since release when I found it beautiful but cold. I must give it another look as I probably went in with crazy expectations and when it delivered not what I was expecting, I was disappointed.

I was the same with Heat (Don't judge me). I remember seeing it in the cinema. Couldn't wait for Pacino and DeNiro to meet. Was a bit disappointed. It was only years later that I saw it again and realised how fantastic it is. How the entire film was about relationships. Amazing how one can miss the point initially.

Had been meaning to share it on Boards, but if you wanna see the power of the Hollywood Star, goto YouTube and search for "LA Takendown diner scene". Michael Mann previously made Heat but with TV actors - and the difference is oceanic in size.

Re. 2049... you're right, it's emotionally a cold film. But I think given the subject of the film was of androids discovering their respective sense of self and emotionality - it kinda worked. Villeneuve definitely can play up that aspect, if you look at Prisoners by way of example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

And I cannot wait to see what he'll do with "Rendezvous with Rama". Talk about a perfect match!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Homelander

I thought 2049 was an incredible movie and yards ahead of the original, which I do enjoy but find somewhat over-rated. It was so believably grimy and dystopian and it has real depth.

Saw it in the cinema and like someone else said, the memory lingered for a few days. I'm generally indifferent to Ryan Gosling but I thought he was excellent.

Advertisement