Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrightbus in administration

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

This has DUP dodginess written all over it. Paisley, orange order, religious megabucks....

Questions need to be asked of the nta to be honest...

Another ah sure the guberment will bail it out even though I know it's UK....

Typical shi5te

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

listermint wrote: »
    It's a general part of the industry thing.

Mechanics own their own tools. It's a crap part of the trade frankly.

To be fair, its the same in all trades. Hand tools (at least) are your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

NIMAN wrote: »
    I would doubt if you were a coach builder employed by a big company they would expect you to bring your own tools to work.

Maybe I'm wrong.

No, you have your own tools and build them up long term. Many employers give a weekly allowance for it or allow you to buy on credit up front and pay back long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,091 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Did they even try to get into the electric bus market?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Soon all jobs in NI will be based on cash transfers from the Uk. Virtually nothing in the private sector buying and selling in the real world. Two major manufacturing companies Bombardier and now this lot about to go the way of the titanic. A true basket case of a place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Seen BBC will be talking about it at 10pm news and a clip showed bus eireann and db double decker inside shed.

A BE VWD was the last bus to leave the plant before it closed (no doubt a few more buses will be released from the factory depending on the stage of the build).

Did they even try to get into the electric bus market?

They were at research/experimental stages I believe, if only they had concentrated on green energy and not green pastures...

GM228 wrote: »
    They were at research/experimental stages I believe, if only they had concentrated on green energy and not green pastures...

I thought Brexit was going to open up all these amazing markets for overpriced below par products like these?

Caterpillar gone in Belfast too...100 jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭votecounts

road_high wrote: »
    Soon all jobs in NI will be based on cash transfers from the Uk. Virtually nothing in the private sector buying and selling in the real world. Two major manufacturing companies Bombardier and now this lot about to go the way of the titanic. A true basket case of a place
    Don't forget Harlett and Wolf is in trouble as well, one of the of the biggest employers, not a good time for rhe north:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

*cough* #think32 *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

votecounts wrote: »
    Don't forget Harlett and Wolf is in trouble as well, one of the of the biggest employers, not a good time for rhe north:(

Thought they only employ a couple of hundred.

Nothing like the hay day.

listermint wrote: »
    Thought they only employ a couple of hundred.

Nothing like the hay day.

130ish I think.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Caterpillar gone in Belfast too...100 jobs.

That is the remains of hundreds more from previous closures isn't it?

All the low/unskilled heavy manufacturing that was used for the "protestant work ethic" myth is dead or dying. There is a huge reliance on fraudulently obtained disability benefit ("DLA" which you'll often see in claimed reasons to vote DUP) amongst those who have lost their jobs

130ish I think.

Indeed, 35,000 in its heyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

130ish I think.

Indeed, 35,000 in its heyday.

Sectarian AF too

• Registered Users Posts: 32,202 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The massive donations to a church from the company is odd....

They also had a massive history of hiring very few Catholics.....screw em....ballymena is a backwards hole anyway.

L1011 wrote: »

Yes, pretty spectacular decline really and Brexit cited as a factor.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/northern-ireland/caterpillar-posts-20m-pretax-loss-during-year-of-cost-cuts-37422328.html

L1011 wrote: »

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that Caterpillar (NI) Ltd, the generator production plants. The Caterpillar in trouble now is Caterpillar Finance which is in partnership with Accenture.

Caterpillar Finance was only established in Northern Ireland in 2005 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭votecounts

gmisk wrote: »

They also had a massive history of hiring very few Catholics.....screw em....ballymena is a backwards hole anyway.
    Paisley Country, what do you expect

• Advertisement

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that Caterpillar (NI) Ltd, the generator production plants. The Caterpillar in trouble now is Caterpillar Finance which is in partnership with Accenture.

oops so it is. Apologies, just heard it on the news and assumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,135 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So it was a call centre?

Gone already I think. Lots of real jobs for them down south anyhow. Job creation at record levels

NIMAN wrote: »
    So it was a call centre?

No, it's a financial shared services centre for the Caterpillar group.

No modern multinational in tech or pharmaceutical or finance will look twice at these hellholes for investment- they know they won’t get the talent pool locally or get them to move there. North is at a tipping point now economically. Growth is non existent and the few existing companies that actually operated there are going the way of the dinosaur. Real question is how much longer the English want to continue supporting these layabouts ?

road_high wrote: »
    Gone already I think. Lots of real jobs for them down south anyhow. Job creation at record levels

Not quite, there have been discussions over the last few days involving the administrators and Babcock with regards the £1.3BN Royal Navy Frigate contract. H&W were joint bidders with Babcock and were recently named as the preferred bidders, they could be saved at the 11th hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,202 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Paisley Country, what do you expect
    Very little, I am originally from about 25 mins from there.

Nice things about Ballymena....hmm...the shops?
    Especially the tk Maxx...bar that it's a struggle

God works in mysterious ways (at least he/she is 'working'!)
    In an interview with The Irish Times in November 2017, pastor Jeff noted that Cornerstone “made God a shareholder in the business” as 26 per cent of Wrights is owned by the evangelical trust.

Despite being primed to take over the bus builder, pastor Jeff told The Irish Times he felt God had a new question for him. “Do you love me more than these buses?’ I said, ‘yeah, I do’. So God said ‘I want you to feed my lambs and take care of my sheep’.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/manufacturing/wrightbus-owner-made-god-a-shareholder-as-it-recorded-1-7m-loss-1.4030436?fbclid=IwAR2jDSlH295mPYD7vphnvXRQcQgLFnu56yzJvp4g7z_wfazVHLgvQCYz_Gg

• Advertisement

Very little, I am originally from about 25 mins from there.

Nice things about Ballymena....hmm...the shops?
    Especially the tk Maxx...bar that it's a struggle

These towns are on the same island but seem like a parallel universe to us secular southerners. They basically scare me to visit them and just wouldn’t be bothered tbh

Advertisement