Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we obsessed with American politics and current affairs?

Options
  • 20-11-2013 2:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭

If you were to use After Hours as an example, there are many threads each week on events in America, be it shootings and firearms (in fairness there are a lot of shootings in the US) or race issues. Many of my peers have formed opinions on Republican vs Democrat, problems facing the US currently or can talk in-depth about JFK's assassination.

I don't have anything at all against anybody having an opinion, it's your head and you can do what you like with it and to it, but I just think sometimes it goes a little too far. I think sometimes we are a bit obsessed. I couldn't see the Americans having opinions about problems facing Ireland or Europe. And I do understand that some people will have opinions because they care about the US, have American relations, live there or spent time there, and that's ok too.

Or is it all just a product of 24 news channels, a controlled media and the US continuing role as superpower?

Are we obsessed with American politics and current affairs? 42 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    Nay dawg it's cool
    100% 42 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭hansfrei

I don't read them or post on them. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Infantile stuff ........ just as a two week old baby is obsessed with mater's melons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I think so to a degree.

Everything about the country is like a tv show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Augmerson wrote: »
    Or is it all just a product of 24 news channels, a controlled media and the US continuing role as superpower?

Bingo.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    Infantile stuff ........ just as a two week old baby is obsessed with mater's melons.

Watermelons do be nice though. At the moment they're are at least 2 active threads on US politics and current affairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The season finale of the Obama administration will bore us all to tears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

practical norwegian women

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I've always believed if NFL was a Soviet sport not American and our only footage of it was of games on frozen pitches in Russia no one in Ireland would ever watch it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Wait..
    George Zimmerman pulled a gun on his girlfriend now?

What will that crazy cat get up to next.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Obsessed, no, however the 20th century was certainly the American century in terms of politics, business, science, art etc...it is hardly surprising we are heavily influenced by them.

It's the same in other parts of the world which are relatively "westernised" so don't feel too guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Holsten wrote: »
    I think so to a degree.

Everything about the country is like a tv show.

I think you mean everything you have experienced about America is via a TV...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Wait..
    George Zimmerman pulled a gun on his girlfriend now?

What will that crazy cat get up to next.

In fairness, she was stalking him and he felt threatened, the poor lickle mite!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Does anyone find the Irish adoration of JFK vaguely bizarre? Vietnam, Bay of Pigs, Nuclear brink- a few aspects of his term in office.

Also how the Kennedy plutocracy came about: bootlegging, decimation of Irish Whiskey industry by Joe's distribution rights of Scotch, stock market short selling which arguably caused the collapse etc

Also how the Kennedy plutocracy came about: bootlegging, decimation of Irish Whiskey industry by Joe's distribution rights of Scotch, stock market short selling which arguably caused the collapse etc

Then there's the serial adultery / philandering malarky; Not a mention of this by the adoring masses on RTE radio 1 this week, most of whom would be from a traditional conservative RC background - the most bizarre part of all.

He didn't deserve to die but he was far from his portrayal in Ireland.

Inexplicably, all gushing tributes went unchallenged by the RTE 1 presenters..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

The problem is that Irish politics is incredibly boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Quite you I'm watching the colbert report!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Nah, American Politics is sooo 2012.

Get with the times, its all aboot Canadian politics these days

#TeamFord

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭April O Neill II

Augmerson wrote: »
    If you were to use After Hours as an example, there are many threads each week on events in America, be it shootings and firearms (in fairness there are a lot of shootings in the US) or race issues. Many of my peers have formed opinions on Republican vs Democrat, problems facing the US currently or can talk in-depth about JFK's assassination.

I don't have anything at all against anybody having an opinion, it's your head and you can do what you like with it and to it, but I just think sometimes it goes a little too far. I think sometimes we are a bit obsessed. I couldn't see the Americans having opinions about problems facing Ireland or Europe. And I do understand that some people will have opinions because they care about the US, have American relations, live there or spent time there, and that's ok too.

It's because the USA is a cultural hegemony - we can't help but be fascinated by it.

Yorky wrote: »
    Does anyone find the Irish adoration of JFK vaguely bizarre?

Yes, I don't get the fascination with him in general. He was a sleazebag. I know that shouldn't matter, but he brought it to ridiculous levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The US is one of the most fascinating social studies in the world. A country that just over 200 years ago was inhabited by 'Indians', was colonized by a European power, The occupiers took over, basically after fighting with the natives, brought over slaves from other colonies then fought between themselves, South loses and free the slaves, country moves on with a divide between the people and building tensions. Then came an influx of immigrants from all over the world, multiple large wars and today the country is the end result of all of that.

Are there many other countries which experienced such levels of immigration and multi-culturism for as long? For such a young country it has seen huge change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Yes, I don't get the fascination with him in general. He was a sleazebag. I know that shouldn't matter, but he brought it to ridiculous levels.
    A lot of Irish households back then had a picture of JFK over the mantelpiece, maybe it was something to do with all the Irish that immigrated to the US and that his visit was so fresh in their memories when he was assassinated. I heard a man on the radio yesterday saying that he met Bobby Kennedy and he broke down while talking about him :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭czx

Bingo.

dry season

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭czx

i know that shouldn't matter but....but?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,106 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Unfortunately we hear a lot of stuff about the US now because he have 24hr worth of news to fill.

I mean, remember the guy whose house fell down a hole? That was all over our news for a few days. One single guy died out of 350million in a strange/freak accident, yet the world had to know about it.

I always think, if that had happened in some other part of the world, would we ever have heard about it?

For me it all started with the OJ case. Live television coverage for about a month on the UK channels of some guy who no-one in the UK knew. After that, we all became US obsessed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I'm not. I find it ridiculous how the likes of Barack Obama are lauded simply for making speeches they didn't even write.

There was a thread here about Zimmerman a while ago and when I read it I was disappointed that it wasn't about Bob Dylan releasing a new album.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    The problem is that Irish politics is incredibly boring.

We need some more crack smoking to liven things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Sam Kade wrote: »
    A lot of Irish households back then had a picture of JFK over the mantelpiece, maybe it was something to do with all the Irish that immigrated to the US and that his visit was so fresh in their memories when he was assassinated. I heard a man on the radio yesterday saying that he met Bobby Kennedy and he broke down while talking about him :rolleyes:

The family were an immigrant success story, remember many Irish left here dirt poor and were treated badly when they arrived in North America, they weren't wanted by anyone, they were viewed as the slumdogs of Europe. Even the other poor Catholic immigrants like the Italians looked down on them.

So an Irish family rising from the streets to that level of power was a source of pride and inspiration to those back home. The story is romanticised of course and little details like Joe Kennedy being involved in organised crime and corruption and JFK being a philanderer were overlooked at the time.

czx wrote: »
    i know that shouldn't matter but....but?!?

Are you OK? You sound a little constipated. Get thee to a bathroom, put in the necessary graft, then have the Sudocreem at the ready. You're welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

The family were an immigrant success story, remember many Irish left here dirt poor and were treated badly when they arrived in North America, they weren't wanted by anyone, they were viewed as the slumdogs of Europe. Even the other poor Catholic immigrants like the Italians looked down on them.

So an Irish family rising from the streets to that level of power was a source of pride and inspiration to those back home. The story is romanticised of course and little details like Joe Kennedy being involved in organised crime and corruption and JFK being a philanderer were overlooked at the time.

The Kennedys descended from famine survivors and they showed the Irish they too could be American.

You are absolutely right, the Irish were viewed as trash.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

The Irish have always loved the US cowboy presidents. I remember when Clinton visited years ago, the PA at one of the towns he was giving a speech at (Armagh was it?) was playing this before he came on stage at the height of his sex scandals, I swear the elderly church going aul wans just give the likes of him and JFK a pass

A lil bit of Monica, wha :pac: Only in Ireland.

Advertisement