Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are we more violent than years ago?.

• 01-06-2011 1:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭

This gets mention alot from the radio and grandparents,todays society is more violent,im not sure,maybe the crime detention rate was lower and less reported than it was years ago,now with cctv and forensics its easier to secure a conviction.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

no but we like to show it more on tv ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

No its the most peaceful time in history

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

all together now;

"Lets do the time-waaarrrrpppp agaaaiinnnnn!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

I'm confused. Are we talking about the Irish or the human race? Ireland....No! Humans....probably!

"Oh sure, begoragh! That evil ECB will punch himself out eventually....then we'll get 'im! Toi! Toi! Toi! Toura Loura!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

more people = more crime

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Its GTA joe, I tells ya, before computer games no one killed anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

personally, i hope all modern guns etc are wiped out and a third world war breaks out with M1s, MP40s and B.A.R's etc used...but thats just me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

I think todays society (last 2 or 3 decades) is much more peacful, due to the meida and international groups which stop coflict escalation and impose sanctions, look at history at the countless battles occupations and massacares...

it was alot easier for 2 nations (or one) to fight and kil eachother without outer interference, compared to now, a good example is tany recent war which is more than likley going to recieve negative conentations, which first started wiith the media and the vietnam war (in comparision with ww2 which was an all for one mentality, with one country united agaist another)

you could also argue the 20th century was the most violent in history with two wars on a worldwide scale and countless smaller wars and a very large death toll. but due to the modern ages international effects and the fact the earth now has well over 6 billion people conflict between social groups is inevitable.

violence is in the human nature andwill continue to be prevelant in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

"kids these days with their MTV video games.."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Look at the evidence on this forum.

You have the :mad: emo - now if that's not an incitement to violence, I don't know what is.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Yes we are. I just killed my Father and declared myself High King of Longford and intend to bathe in the blood of a horse before invading Roscommon, killing all the male children, raping the few Wimmin i leave alive and killing all the men and planting their heads on pikes on the road out to Knockcrockery. They have great cattle in Roscommon so why wouldnt I.

Actually no. We're not......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Is Boards more violent now than it was two days ago?

I think it is.

I remember two days ago posters could safely roam the boards looking for lolz, now they have to scavenge for the remnants of a half used rofl in bands whilst mods attack vulnerable isolated users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Every generation thinks the next are worse
    There are writing from Ancient Greeks bitching about young guerriers hanging around street corners and getting into brawls and riots

Well that's not word for word but pretty much what was written

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

International violence, wars etc, have changed in nature, from the large scale allied nations v allied nations involving millions of people in the early 20th Century, to the lower scale of terrorism, popular uprisings and occupied countries, which while it makes the news probably involves far less combatants overall. The unpredictability of that probably makes it a lot more threatening than the actual statistical risk it poses.

Personal violence has, I think, escalated. Your archetypal pub fight used to involve punches and maybe the odd stool. Now, violence goes from a glance to a fatal stabbing, or an imagined personal slight to a pipe bomb with no intervening steps.

So, yes and no is my answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Personal violence has, I think, escalated. Your archetypal pub fight used to involve punches and maybe the odd stool. Now, violence goes from a glance to a fatal stabbing, or an imagined personal slight to a pipe bomb with no intervening steps.
    I don't think that's the case.

I think what's happened is that personal violence has decreased so that the proper sociopaths now stick out a whole lot more than they used to.

I haven't see a fight in a pub in years, but fifty years ago people would probably remark that a bit of punch-up down the local was a fairly regular occurence. Stabbings and the like happened too, but the vast majority of incidents were just your standard row between two drunks. Sometimes they got "a little out of hand", but was in a minority of incidents.

Now however your normal punch-up is a rarer occurence, so psychos who get "a little out of hand" make up a bigger proportion of the violence, as violence in general has dropped.

Of course it's hard to draw comparisons, because crime detection and reporting rates have skyrocketed in the last 50 years.
    So while Jimmy might have taken a kitchen knife to Joe and cut a chunk out of his arm because of a row over land, the local Garda would have broken up the fight and provided that Jimmy got patched up by the GP, nothing would come of it. Now it would be properly reported and followed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It's been a long time since I was able to take the family to a public hanging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Society in general has developed a desensitivity to violence and violent acts in general. Think of how graphic movies and video games are at portraying violence. But, just as the old saying goes: "Out of sight, out of mind" . If violence is not something a person witnesses on a daily basis, they can continue to stick their heads in the sand and ignore it.

You need to phase out much of the bad stuff that goes on around you, otherwise you'd go cracked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

No, we are just better informed.

We have always been and we always will be a violent species. It will never change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Society in general has developed a desensitivity to violence and violent acts in general. Think of how graphic movies and video games are at portraying violence. But, just as the old saying goes: "Out of sight, out of mind" . If violence is not something a person witnesses on a daily basis, they can continue to stick their heads in the sand and ignore it.

You need to phase out much of the bad stuff that goes on around you, otherwise you'd go cracked

Really?
    400 or so years ago I would more than likely now be dead but not before having been in a few battles and killed a few others.
    I cannot really conceive of me killing somebody these days in spite of having played Grand Theft Auto last week end.

Edit!!! Actually I would probably just be dead after one battle where i wee weed my pants and attempted to kill someone else.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Really?
    400 or so years ago I would more than likely now be dead but not before having been in a few battles and killed a few others.
    I cannot really conceive of me killing somebody these days in spite of having played Grand Theft Auto last week end.

Edit!!! Actually I would probably just be dead after one battle where i wee weed my pants and attempted to kill someone else.....

Im not saying video games cause violence, i'm just saying that societys view of violence has changed, but most of us in the developed and relatively more safe world can afford to be naive about it and say that we're living in a less violent time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

jester77 wrote: »
    It's been a long time since I was able to take the family to a public hanging

You must be an old dude if you were at the last legal hanging in Ireland as it was the Limerick guy hung in 1954 for murdering a nurse..

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Happynappy

' If you think we were bad, wait til you see whats coming next' .... remember this famous quote from
    Brian Cowen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

There's the rose-tinted specs stuff from auldies all right - "You could walk home alone at night, didn't have to lock your door" etc, but then again, institutionalised physical abuse of children was accepted - and approved of. Go further back to medieval times and the crazy punishments that were doled out.

So I would say violence is still alive and well, but far less tolerated...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

International violence, wars etc, have changed in nature, from the large scale allied nations v allied nations involving millions of people in the early 20th Century, to the lower scale of terrorism, popular uprisings and occupied countries, which while it makes the news probably involves far less combatants overall. The unpredictability of that probably makes it a lot more threatening than the actual statistical risk it poses.

So, yes and no is my answer.

Not really. Back in the 1800's we had a massive murder rate. Immigration and the general European trend towards less violent society has kept it low ever since.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I got the crap beaten out of me (not just by teachers) several times back in the 80s, also had blades pulled on me on occasion. I'd say we're about the same.

Advertisement