Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are we nerds?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Spike wrote:
    Well you're name does sound like "tulip", and the avatar looks like something womanly and oddly like it's trying to hug me.
    it's not julip, it's julEp. emphasis on the E.

i don't even know what my avatar is. i have sigs and avatars turned off. they slow up my alrealy slow pc. i thought it was the bobomb thingy from mario.

EDIT: yeah, it's the bob-omb.

History:
    it was written on a piece of paper in front of me
    Terry

hope that clears things up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

LadyJ wrote:
    Easy Achilles!

I think this one is a guy too! :D

Wow really? Even better.....

I really hope she liiiiikkkeeeesss meeee!

tee heeee...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Dark city does not exist. *puts fingers in ears*

Shhh Tar, it's ok. Trust me. This'll relieve your fears.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Spike wrote:
    Shhh Tar, it's ok. Trust me. This'll relieve your fears.
    If that film existed it would probably be good.
    >_>
    <_<
    >_>

DARK CITY? Yeah it's good alright. It's on the sci-fi channel everynow and then. I can send you constant reminders of when it's on if you'd like?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I hear it's just a rip off on an idea called 'Akira', what do you make of these(widespread and commonly held to be true) rumours? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Spike wrote:
    Well you're name does sound like "tulip", and the avatar looks like something womanly and oddly like it's trying to hug me.
    Leave the King alone.

PS me deffo no nerd. I've never completed FF7.

King? Well I didn't vote for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Spike wrote:
    King? Well I didn't vote for him.

That's not usually the way a monarch is chosen.

• Advertisement

I take it you haven't seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

I just killed my xbox....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

I get out to much to be called a nerd...also too sporty.....how the hell can you call someone who like HIM or MCR or KORN a nerd?? Its madness I tell you!

Doomspell wrote:
    I get out to much to be called a nerd...also too sporty.....how the hell can you call someone who like HIM or MCR or KORN a nerd?? Its madness I tell you!

Well I listen to hip-hop music, and I'm a nerd. I also like cars, women and various other manly past-times.

Tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Spike wrote:
    Pffft. I just found a Sinclair ZX80. Atari that!

ok, you asked for it!

TI99/2
    Sid
    commodore pet 3032
    Daisywheel
    Zork
    >n
    >s
    >e
    >w
    >i
    midi
    cp/m
    VIC-20
    320 x 200
    "luggable"
    commodore 64
    Q-Net
    Amiga

If the above words make sense to you, and you can put them in the correct order by date, then yes, you can call yerself a geek lol :p;)

b

/me Hears tumbleweed blow by and crickets chirrping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Doomspell wrote:

Anyone who likes HIM simply lacks musical taste. It's got nothing to do with being a nerd tbh. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Asok wrote:
    I'm a dolphin.
    and you're a mod?

So... you're a modphin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

ok, you asked for it!

TI99/2
    Sid
    commodore pet 3032
    Daisywheel
    Zork
    >n
    >s
    >e
    >w
    >i
    midi
    cp/m
    VIC-20
    320 x 200
    "luggable"
    commodore 64
    Q-Net
    Amiga

If the above words make sense to you, and you can put them in the correct order by date, then yes, you can call yerself a geek lol :p;)

b

Ah um I can.....
    and I tought it was all the anime gamers stuff that gave me geek points....

just as well mammy's can't be nerd or geeks.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Nerd, me? never!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Thaedydal wrote:
    Ah um I can.....
    and I tought it was all the anime gamers stuff that gave me geek points....

just as well mammy's can't be nerd or geeks.
    I think the times are a changin.
    Mammys can indeed be nerds now.
    In fact a mother who knows more about computers than her kids(from preteen up) should be considered a geekmum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

LadyJ wrote:
    That's not usually the way a monarch is chosen.
    I THINK that was him/her being sarcastic

oh and if you look up Nead in the dictionary you will see my my pic... under Homers of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Marts wrote:
    I THINK that was him/her being sarcastic

oh and if you look up Nead in the dictionary you will see my my pic... under Homers of course
    You're listed under idiot too? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I don't enjoy maths enough to be a nerd... but I do enjoy star trek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Me too I love Voyager and the base one with Sisko.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I am a nerd, I admit it. Oh well.

I couldn't possibly be a nerd with my dashing good looks.

Hypothetically, if somebody actually said things like 'tbh' and other net acronyms on the big ole real world, wouldn't they be quite a nerd? Not that anybody is that nerdy eh? >_()

Chakar wrote:
    Me too I love Voyager
    There are two episodes starting on sky1 in an hour \o/
    Chakar wrote:
    and the base one with Sisko.
    DS9 ... don't see that repeated much these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Hypothetically, if somebody actually said things like 'tbh' and other net acronyms on the big ole real world, wouldn't they be quite a nerd? Not that anybody is that nerdy eh? >_()

I'm not in denial tho! And I only say tbh to other nerds... mostly!

Thats a bit late for me anyway I haven't seen Deep Space Nine repeats a lot its annoying it was 2nd in terms of my Star Trek list with 1st being Voyager.

Might actually buy DVDs of the whole series of both it would be cool.

simu wrote:
    I'm not in denial tho! And I only say tbh to other nerds... mostly!
    I bet you are so vain you think this post is abooouuut you! :p
    I love when acronyms are used so freely, vive la revolutionne.

• Advertisement

Does the fact that Im reading this and thinking it sounds a lot like a conversation "The Trinity" (The Trio) in buffy would have, make me even more of a nerd?
    LOL :D

b

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Mmm... I'm thinking about 7 of 9 from Voyager. Many's the time I've fantasized about being beaten up by her. If you've never had the same fantasy then, quite frankly, there's something wrong with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't watch Star Trek so I think I'm safe. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

If I post the specs of my 3 year old laptop in my sig.. would that make me nerdy?*

*Dell, blue, screen (colour), keyboard (z missing), mouse (detachable) Pentium 0.02 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

faceman wrote:
    Are we nerds and are nerds sexy? All this slagging is impacting me ego and me mojo!

Thats a funny question, people always seem to want to pen others into the nerd catogory so they feel better about themselves.

I am a nerd. I like the net, computer games, readings books with big words like "marmalade". I'm a music nerd, i have a strange thing for the cartoons of my childhood, i laugh at silly things.

However, i am also 6'3 and 254 pounds. I enjoy kickboxing, basketball and other sports. I go to the gym 5 times a week and i lift big , heavy weights. I love sports.

As such, the dichotomy is, am i a nerd or a jock?

However, i am also relatively clever and am making a good life for myself.....so am i a nerd, a jock, a geek or a sleazy corporate whore?

But wait, theres more....i also like my daily joint..... so am i a nerd, a jock, a geek, a sleazy corporate whore or a stoner???

Answer : I'm just me.

Labels mean nothing....you could be 10 different things to 10 different people ever day!!!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Dragan wrote:
    I am a nerd. I like the net, computer games, readings books with big words like "marmalade". I'm a music nerd, i have a strange thing for the cartoons of my childhood, i laugh at silly things.
    Wow, thats me in a nutshell :eek: apart from the music bit, dunno what you mean there

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

mods imo would be the nerds of the internet. some of the them are cooler then others, but the ones who live for patrolling the boards are nerds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

omg ya lol, some mods r cool but da rest r NERDS!!!!! I tink ill post in feedback bout it!!!!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

T&#225 wrote: »
    mods imo would be the nerds of the internet. some of the them are cooler then others, but the ones who live for patrolling the boards are nerds.

Denial
    Not just a river in Egypt...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

T&#225 wrote: »

Heh, define a nerd for me then. I'm curious as to what you mean by the word (I think you are using it in a sense where I'd use the words "have no life" etc. Which is not what I'd consider a nerd to be). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Chakar wrote:
    Me too I love Voyager

*spit*
    Voyager never happened....

Anybody that doesn't realise TNG is the best is just a stupid nerd. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Chakar wrote:
    Nerds on boards.ie well maybe for the moderators and the super users but the majority aren't.

Super users are posters with 10 posts a day to their name.

Its a bit much to put labels on people like that but on a whole I think your right. What gets to me a little is the people who give advice, go on about life like they've experienced it all, know it all about everythin yet there on here constantly 24/7! Post counts with 10,000+ is a bit mad. And when ya put into perspective, if these people where to calculate how much time and effort they spent on here, they'd be missing out a bit on life...the topic they like to post about. Then again, if thats their cup of tea, then good for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

People who use the word nerd as some kind of slagging need to step into the real world and stop thinking they're the fonz because they don't use the internet. (Or in this case, use the internet!)

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

faceman wrote:
    are nerds sexy?

well..no :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Anybody that doesn't realise TNG is the best is just a stupid nerd. :)
    what?
    pissy moaning councillor troi, captain political corectness, weasel crusher?
    screw that.
    DS9 kicked ass.

agamemnon wrote:
    Mmm... I'm thinking about 7 of 9 from Voyager. Many's the time I've fantasized about being beaten up by her. If you've never had the same fantasy then, quite frankly, there's something wrong with you.
    Yeah I love it when she gets all cold and logical.
    "Clothes are irrelevant."

She can get in touch with my humanity any time.
    I've got something she could assimilate.
    I wouldn't mind giving her a new borg implant.
    Oooh I'd pump her full of nanoprobes.

Ok this is getting disgusting.

Yeah I love it when she gets all cold and logical.
    "Clothes are irrelevant."

She can get in touch with my humanity any time.
    I've got something she could assimilate.
    I wouldn't mind giving her a new borg implant.
    Oooh I'd pump her full of nanoprobes.

Ok this is getting disgusting.

/me *Vomits*

And why is it they never put the guys in such "flattering" outfits, thats what I wanna know! :confused:;)

b

Advertisement