Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI 2014 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Sligos team from game vs Crusaders

Sligo Rovers: Rogers; Conneely, Gaynor, Henderson, Spillane; Greene, Russell (63 Maguire), O'Conor; Odhiambo (71 Ledwith) Cretaro, Cawley. Subs: Brush, Keane, McMillan, Dykes, N'do.

Pats from Mighty Ducks

St Patrick’s Ath: Gilmartin; O'Brien (c), Browne, Oman, Bermingham; Byrne, Fahey (Lynch 81), Brennan (Chambers 86), Bolger, Forrester (Kavanagh 81); Fagan
    Subs Not Used: Clarke, Hoare, McCormack, Foran.

Most likley the 11s on Sunday will be full strength at some point (injury dependant) In reality does anyone see any of those players every playing for the full Irish ;) National Side iin the future.? Clearly im fcuking bored tonight :D If everything works out for the lad i think Hoare will possibly one day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

What happened to Shels at the LOI launch yesterday? No sign of them here.

Bhkmj79CMAALmJe.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

What happened to Shels at the LOI launch yesterday? No sign of them here.

Bhkmj79CMAALmJe.jpg:large

Seems they didn't send anyone. Is there no bus from Drumcondra to Lansdowne? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,555 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I would have went :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

At a guess I'd say no one was available, half the squad is in school/college and the rest work.

Johnny Mac was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Johnny Mac was there.

All the managers were minus Croly if I'm not mistaken.

All the managers were minus Croly if I'm not mistaken.

Never noticed :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

So a player the entire footballing community missed he is going to select for international duty ......OR tell them to move to England?
    The "entire footballing community" doesn't know a great deal about the LOI - I would have thought that was obvious. It makes sense for O'Neill and Keane to familiarise themselves with LOI players who could potentially play for the international side some day. That way, in the event that such players move abroad and prove themselves at a higher level, they'll be drafted into the national squad more quickly than would have been the case under Trapattoni, for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Very first presidents cup. LOI football season opener and it's not on tv. Very disappointing for those of us that can't make the trip. Spartacus on instead ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I'm not gonna make this now and am bloody raging!!! :mad:

Mon the Saints!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Not much buzz for this in Sligo. Not sure if it's because we are always crap in Richmond and nobody is confident, or they are all like me and simply don't care about this cup.

No injuries, please.

Bhu27N9IEAInnhC.jpg

2 very impressive squads.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/st-pats-live-commentary

on live in a few

Oat23 wrote: »
    Not much buzz for this in Sligo. Not sure if it's because we are always crap in Richmond and nobody is confident, or they are all like me and simply don't care about this cup.

No injuries, please.

I'd say if you's were home, there'd be more of a buzz. It's a nice final pre season fixture for both clubs.

more sligo fans here than pats fans

1959889_683199968386126_1678296818_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Oh lord..hopefully someone just lost the key to the turnstiles or something :o

Looks like a poor showing.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Nobody really cares who wins the Charity/Community Shield either, but there's still a fair bit of buzz surrounding it as it's the opening weekend of the season.

It would help if it the President's Cup was treated as a proper cup final and played at a neutral venue. Once again, there's an opportunity here for the FAI to promote the league and they'e failed miserably.

Main stand full now, sligo have about 3 to 400 here, last minute pints etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

How's Spillane done for Sligo in pre season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Where is this game being played? should have been in Longford or Athlone to accommodate both sets of fans.

• Advertisement

What a ****ing goal....Fahey screamer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Keane and O'Neill at the Pats game today. Good to see them taking an interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

djpbarry wrote: »
    The "entire footballing community" doesn't know a great deal about the LOI - I would have thought that was obvious. It makes sense for O'Neill and Keane to familiarise themselves with LOI players who could potentially play for the international side some day. That way, in the event that such players move abroad and prove themselves at a higher level, they'll be drafted into the national squad more quickly than would have been the case under Trapattoni, for example.

In Mick McCarthy's time there was at least one LoI XI v RoI B match. It's a type of game worth considering once a year.

On today's President's Cup. It's not a bad idea as a curtain raiser for the imminent start of season. It'll take at least 3 for it to become an established fixture.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Where is this game being played? should have been in Longford or Athlone to accommodate both sets of fans.

Why in the name of God would you have this match in the middle of nowhere?? It takes place in the home of the Champions, that's all.

Decent 1st half from both sides, Sligo missed a few chances. Quality of play from both sides is very good, fair few misplaced passes and poor touches mostly from us. Dundalk game was all fire and brimstone this is much more craft and guile.

Decent opening half, would be a decent tv game.

That goal tho!! corner half cleared to fahey volleyed into top corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What's the crowd like? Heard it's very disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

Looks like Oman and Browne will be first choice CB for the first few games. Oman is very, very slow. Even slower than Browne.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Looks like Oman and Browne will be first choice CB for the first few games. Oman is very, very slow. Even slower than Browne.

Oman starting for Pats is enough to give me, a fatalistic Rovers fan, hope for this season. I've seen ocean liners turn faster than him, and they'd probably pass the ball better out of defence as well.

I think there was 2100 at it, for us a very decent crowd. Expect official attendance to be 968 or soemthing :D

Both teams look very good even tho the game was littered with mistakes, brilliant pre season for us Dundalk, Mighty Ducks, Sligo

Sligos fans, few more in the shed.

1795526_683210031718453_1734004949_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Annoyed I watched a half-working stream of the news on the rte site for 20 minutes to see the Fahey goal only to see a few seconds of Michael D shaking hands and no goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I don't get the whole point of this game, no tv coverage and they named it the same as one of the most famous golf tournaments in the world, if it's supposed to raise the profile of the game in Ireland and get everyone excited for the season ahead like the charity shield does across the pond they failed miserably, would have loved to be able and sit down and watch some Irish soccer after the winter and no chance. FAI, why bother then?

Brennan wins POTY FAI/3 Awards.

He must have known as earlier he nutmegged Odiambo with a back heel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Brennan wins POTY FAI/3 Awards.

He must have known as earlier he nutmegged Odiambo with a back heel.
    And clearly gave away a penalty dragging Keane off the ball. We'll continue to ignore his nasty streak though, since the refs do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

AgileMyth wrote: »
    And clearly gave away a penalty dragging Keane off the ball. We'll continue to ignore his nasty streak though, since the refs do.

Yes that was a clear peno as was Henderson using his hands to block Conan Byrne's shot.

I thought Keane ran into him then dived but I was on other side of ground.

Seen Hendersons hand ball and Russell not getting a 2nd yellow. Im used to LOI refs so dont even bother moaning anymore.

faheygoal.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Yes that was a clear peno as was Henderson using his hands to block Conan Byrne's shot.
    And Bolger dragging Odhiambo down at the end.

Decent game. Two good sides, though both obviously still in preseason. Will be a good matchup later on in the season, particularly if we get a few players fit.

Great strike for the goal. When you go away to the Champions, the big-spending heavy favorites, and it takes a goal like that to beat you you're doing ok. Thought we were on top for most of the game but, as usual in Inchicore, the ball will not go in for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Big Bucks

And Bolger dragging Odhiambo down at the end.

Decent game. Two good sides, though both obviously still in preseason. Will be a good matchup later on in the season, particularly if we get a few players fit.

Great strike for the goal. When you go away to the Champions, the big-spending heavy favorites, and it takes a goal like that to beat you you're doing ok. Thought we were on top for most of the game but, as usual in Inchicore, the ball will not go in for us.

Think that was my 11th time in Inchicore and have only seen us win once and really starting to get sick of the place. I cant even remember the last time we scored a goal there but it was probably when we won there in 2009.
    Taught it was a very decent game for what was essentially a pre-season match. I was happy with the way we played and finished the game strongly. While it will tough to overtake Pats this year i would be quietly confident that we can be the closest to them and push them all the way. I think we definitely have a bit more depth to our squad/bench this year. Some strike from Fahey.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

faheygoal.gif

That is what we call a thunderbast@#d

• Advertisement

Great strike for the goal. When you go away to the Champions, the big-spending heavy favorites, and it takes a goal like that to beat you you're doing ok.
    That's a bit of a stretch - Pats have lost Gannon, McFaul, Kenna, Russell, Price, Flood and Kelly, among others. To replace them there's Lynch, Oman, McCormack, Foran, Quigley, Chambers and, the big one, Fahey. Relative to last year, midfield is looking exceptionally strong, but there's question marks over the defence in my opinion and no out-and-out strikers. Fahey, Quigley and Chambers could be great signings, if they all perform, but I really don't go along with the idea that Pats are going to run away with it this year. There are a lot of question marks hanging over the so-called big signings. Dundalk have strengthened far more significantly than Pat's, but everyone seems to be writing them off completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Dave O'Leary has signed for City from Limerick. Great coup for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

When you go away to the Champions, the big-spending heavy favorites, .

Sligo always have to get a jibe in about the large budgets of rivals as if they themselves have assembled their squad on a budget on par with Bray or Bohs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

CHealy wrote: »
    Dave O'Leary has signed for City from Limerick. Great coup for us.

David.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

anncoates wrote: »
    Sligo always have to get a jibe in about the large budgets of rivals as if they themselves have assembled their squad on a budget on par with Bray or Bohs.

I think the jibes are more because we got to a level where we can spend through the hard work and support of a community, and a good Managment Committee.

Rather than being gifted a stadium or having a sugar daddy.

srfc19 wrote: »
    I think the jibes are more because we got to a level where we can spend through the hard work and support of a community, and a good Managment Committee.

Rather than being gifted a stadium or having a sugar daddy.
    Ahem.

• Advertisement

Not quite the same thing. A grant to develop training facilities which can't be used for wages. A grant similar to the Mayo and Meath leagues.

Not quite the same as getting a stadium with the potential to earn €100,000 Euros every 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

djpbarry wrote: »

true but thats a sports investment grant allocated to the upgrade of facilities in the ground which will also be used by the wider community

i thought we were discussing budgets for player transfers and wages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Wasn't making a point about the capital grants or anything else. Just that I doubt there's that much in real terms between the overall squad budgets of Rovers, Sligo and Pats this season and the constant preferences to free-wheeling spending are amusing.

I would have guessed Pats are probably highest now as we've trimmed ours and I've read somewhere else that Sligo have also cut back.

anncoates wrote: »
    Wasn't making a point about the capital grants or anything else. Just that I doubt there's that much between the overall squad budgets of Rovers, Sligo and Pats this season and the constant poor mouth references to free-wheeling spending are amusing. I would guessed Pats are probably highest now as we've trimmed ours and I've read somewhere else that Sligo have also cu back.

Fahey, Quigs and Chambers alone would probably cover the Shams budget for the season.

Although they have signed 16 centre halves that would be shocking in the North Tipperary U-14 C Division so maybe they're saving a few quid there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

srfc19 wrote: »
    Fahey, Quigs and Chambers alone would probably cover the Shams budget for the season.

Although they have signed 16 centre halves that would be shocking in the North Tipperary U-14 C Division so maybe they're saving a few quid there.

McPhail, Kenna and Zayed are hardly cheap I'd say. Also Sheppard, Finn and McGuiness are hardly playing for nothing.

Shams would still have the highest budget I'd say especially if you include the costs for the B team aswell. We would be around 2nd or 3rd highest with Dundalk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement