Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

• 02-09-2013 6:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭

New thread!

Best of luck in the new season. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

UP THE VILLA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

First post!

Would be nice to do a loan with option to buy for Glyffy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,550 ✭✭✭✭CSF

First post.

To carry on as we left off..
    Lerner is crap
    Lambert is good
    Benteke is great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Nursey says no more incomings tonight, nor probably any outgoings.

Typical Villa way to start the new thread :pac:

Doodee wrote: »
    First post!

Would be nice to do a loan with option to buy for Glyffy :D

Ah **** ya!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

boo Mars Bars, was looking forward to starting the new Villa thread :P

*Rubs eyes*

did we really get S.Ireland off the wage bill? jaysus, well done lads! The no more incomings is a pity if true especially with Ireland being shifted as yeah I woulda liked say a loan w/a buy option as suggested above too coulda been the perfect way to replace Ireland with no added cost (i'd imagine they would be on similar wages).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Aw, forgot you are a Villa fan Bounty!

Please accept my sincerest apologies!

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Aw, forgot you are a Villa fan Bounty!

Please accept my sincerest apologies!

Ha no worries, Villa got rid of Ireland i'm happy (though writing that sentance is kinda sad). Now c'mon Lambert surprise us with another deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Given staying put.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Given staying put.

:(

• Advertisement

Given staying put.

do you have a source, this isn't the first time i've seen you posting stuff as fact without posting a source. Not having a go butit would be appreciated if you did so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Given staying put.
    Correct me if im wrong but he could always move on loan to the championship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Collymore still saying Given to Liverpool will happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Ireland to Stoke eh. A link many predicted as soon as Hughes moved to Stoke and it took until the last day to go through!
    I suppose it's all about not paying the wages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

do you have a source, this isn't the first time i've seen you posting stuff as fact without posting a source. Not having a go butit would be appreciated if you did so

Doesn't really matter does it! I won't post bull****.

Doesn't really matter does it! I won't post bull****.

perhaps but people will take you more seriously and are less likely to react negatively (not here per say) to your posts if you post a source instead of acting like you are some ITK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

CSF wrote: »
    First post.

To carry on as we left off..
    Lerner is crap
    Lambert is good
    Benteke is great

Think you're being incredibly harsh on Lerner. When needed he put his hand in his pocket.
    He has us running as a well managed club and early form suggests we are on the up and up.

I really hope we will have lambert managing us successfully five years time and if all goes well in ten. I want him to make a dynasty.

I like what he is doing with the club, I like that he is moulding the team into his team, he didnt give in to pressure when times got tough and we are showing marked improvement.

We are doing it right and long may it lady. UTV!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Glad to see the back of Stephen Ireland. For a season at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Glad to see the back of Stephen Ireland. For a season at least

His contract is up next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Nabbed this from VT; basically, the squad for this season:

Keeper
    Guzan
    Steer

Left Back
    Luna
    Bennett

Right Back
    Lowton
    Herd (or Bacuna)

Centre Backs
    Vlaar
    Okore
    Clark
    Baker

Midfield Three
    El Ahmadi
    Westwood
    Delph
    Sylla
    Bacuna
    Gardner

Wide Forwards
    Agbonlahor
    Weimann
    Tonov
    Henenius

Centre Forward
    Benteke
    Kozak

Thrown in Albrighton, Bowery etc. where you deem fit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

matrim wrote: »
    His contract is up next year.

Brilliant. We'll never see him pull on a villa shirt again. A good day

Brilliant. We'll never see him pull on a villa shirt again. A good day

Brilliant indeed. Though we were probably never going to see him in a Villa shirt again either way, it's nice that he will no longer be drawing a wage!

Trying to figure out if our wagebill has gone up or down this window:

Bannan, Stevens, Carruthers, Bent, Ireland, Marshall, Makoun, Dunne, Cameron, Williams, Melvin, Holman and Lichaj are all either fully or partially off the bill.

I'm totally guessing at a lot of those wages, but I would reckon that amounts to about 350k per week, give or take.

Meanwhile the players in:

Bacuna, Okore, Helenius, Luna, Steer and Kozak.... shall we say 25k a head, on average?

That makes 125k

New deals: Benteke, Weimann, Baker, Clark, Guzan, Westwood, Lowton

Again, shall we say an average increase of 25k per head?

That makes 175k

So 350k chopped and 300k added nets a reduction of 50k per week, or 2.5m per year.

I reckon the club will turn a profit this year, unless we sign a good few players in the January window.

Edit - N'Zogbia, Hutton and Given are then the last of the old generation left on the books. Their wages would allow space for 3 or 4 pretty decent signings next Summer, without any increase in the club's wagebill.

And just to follow up on a previous discussion - I see here that Lerner's loans to AVFC are actually only £107m, meaning that his total investment in the club (~170m) is considerably less than I initially guessed.

So assuming Villa could be sold for around the £250m mark, he would come out of the deal with an £80m* profit on a £170m** investment, over only 7 years.

He joked at the time he bought the club that you don't buy teams to make money, if he wanted to make money, he'd just buy a 10 year bond. Well, if my figures are on the money (massive caveat!), he is making the equivalent of a 7-year bond paying a coupon of 7%.

I must stress though, I am happy with the job he has done at the club and am excited about the direction we are going. But this notion of Lerner as a philanthropic lover of the club is a tad naive.

*Probably more, given that he was initially charging the club interest on his loans
    **Though most of this was up front and early on, some of this was invested over time, meaning inflation would adjust this total figure downwards a wee bit. Actually, disregard this, because his profit would be inflation adjusted aswell.

Can't imagine we're not still paying a big chunk of Ireland's wages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

COYVB wrote: »
    Can't imagine we're not still paying a big chunk of Ireland's wages

Agree. I imagine at least 50%.

With Bent we might still be paying a small amount too.

But I could still see Given and Hutton going to the Championship on loan. We'd still be paying a good chunk of their wage but it would help. They both seem like players who want to play

I think Bent is actually all Fulham, which is pretty feckin great if true

Even if we're paying half of Ireland's wages, the net result of this window on the wagebill has probably still been a reduction.

We are the new Arsenal, folks. The new new Arsenal, I mean. Not the one that won all that stuff.

shoutman wrote: »
    Think you're being incredibly harsh on Lerner. When needed he put his hand in his pocket.
    He has us running as a well managed club and early form suggests we are on the up and up.

I really hope we will have lambert managing us successfully five years time and if all goes well in ten. I want him to make a dynasty.

I like what he is doing with the club, I like that he is moulding the team into his team, he didnt give in to pressure when times got tough and we are showing marked improvement.

We are doing it right and long may it lady. UTV!

The way I look at it, he blindly funded the wrong manager to sign ****e, without having the correct structures in place to stop said manager from wasting it (proper advisors etc). Then when he gets a good manager in he doesn't adequately fund him. Surely that is getting it all wrong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Lads, a poor reflection on the club not to answer either email I sent them ( see below ). Have forwarded complaint on to West Midlands Police today - truly shocked that they would ignore such a thing.

Hi,
    Sorry for having to send this email, but it relates to the experience I had today after travelling from Ireland with my wife and 2 young boys.
    My client reference is xxxxxxand I bought 4 tickets ( 2 adult & 2 children ) to the family area in Trinity Road Middle B, Row 26, seats 264 -268.
    During the game when Liverpool scored, a fan of theirs down below us ( in the home end ) jumped up and celebrated. At this stage, the bald man behind me in Row 27, either seat 260 / 261 shouted to " sit down you Paki"
    A lady with her child right in front of me challenged his racism and was told to " **** off, it's football match ".
    The steward in our area could clearly see what had happened but chose to ignore it. This led to further comments of " **** off you ****ing **** " at regular intervals, then a remark that the liverpool supporters in the wheelchairs close to us were " spastics " and to me the most insulting from a personal point of view was that "all the Irish were ****ing terrorists " ( relating to Liverpool's singing of The Fields Of Athenry )
    Now I understand that morons are likely in a crowd of 42,000 but I genuinely believe that in a family area, full of children this behaviour should have been confronted. With my children beside me I could not confront him, though they were quite upset by his tone.
    I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this matter, it really took away from what should have been a great day. I got the impression the offender was a season ticket holder as he seemed to know a few around him - he has no place at a football game.
    Many thanks for reading - if you need to discuss further you can call me at xxxxxxxxx

• Advertisement

Poor form not to reply and they still might.
    However I would not be surprised at anything shouted at a football match.

Lads, a poor reflection on the club not to answer either email I sent them ( see below ). Have forwarded complaint on to West Midlands Police today - truly shocked that they would ignore such a thing.

Hi,
    Sorry for having to send this email, but it relates to the experience I had today after travelling from Ireland with my wife and 2 young boys.
    My client reference is xxxxxxand I bought 4 tickets ( 2 adult & 2 children ) to the family area in Trinity Road Middle B, Row 26, seats 264 -268.
    During the game when Liverpool scored, a fan of theirs down below us ( in the home end ) jumped up and celebrated. At this stage, the bald man behind me in Row 27, either seat 260 / 261 shouted to " sit down you Paki"
    A lady with her child right in front of me challenged his racism and was told to " **** off, it's football match ".
    The steward in our area could clearly see what had happened but chose to ignore it. This led to further comments of " **** off you ****ing **** " at regular intervals, then a remark that the liverpool supporters in the wheelchairs close to us were " spastics " and to me the most insulting from a personal point of view was that "all the Irish were ****ing terrorists " ( relating to Liverpool's singing of The Fields Of Athenry )
    Now I understand that morons are likely in a crowd of 42,000 but I genuinely believe that in a family area, full of children this behaviour should have been confronted. With my children beside me I could not confront him, though they were quite upset by his tone.
    I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this matter, it really took away from what should have been a great day. I got the impression the offender was a season ticket holder as he seemed to know a few around him - he has no place at a football game.
    Many thanks for reading - if you need to discuss further you can call me at xxxxxxxxx

Good on you for reporting it to the police at least. Could you have had a quiet word with another steward, if the one closest to you was clearly doing nothing about it? Sorry, I hate when people give me advice long after the event :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

Just checked there and unless alot changes Sky have in all their wisdom decided Swindon v Chelsea is a better cup game to show than us v Spurs, would have sworn they would show two premiership teams over that draw, but sure obviously I'm wrong :(

Just checked there and unless alot changes Sky have in all their wisdom decided Swindon v Chelsea is a better cup game to show than us v Spurs, would have sworn they would show two premiership teams over that draw, but sure obviously I'm wrong :(

Now that their cherished rent(-a-quote) boy is back, there's no hope of any game involving Chelsea being second choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Stoke midfielder Stephen Ireland admits he is looking to 'stick two fingers up' at several people after ending his Aston Villa hell...
    SkySports

Twat.

A career spent promising to prove himself to former managers. Tells its own story, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I was all for him making a go of it at stoke and hoping he gets first time football because i believe he is talented.

But with every new story about him he comes across as a lazy money grabbing tool bag. Whom despite his talents makes very little effort in his profession.

There is players who would fight tooth and nail for the opportunitys he has been given in life and he just squanders them.

I hold no hope for him at stoke.

Just spotted on VT there Stan's charity match is being televised this Sunday on BT Sports 2 for anyone who has it.

If Stephen Ireland ever has a decent season, he will have proven so many people wrong you may as well call him Charles Darwin....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Hi,

That is disgusting. Really hope that it gets properly followed up, and that the individual involved gets a lifelong ban from the ground, and also anything the police can hit him with.

The fact you can provide a lot of details should make it easier for the person in question to be tracked down and questioned.

The bit about the steward really annoyed me, and it is certainly not something unique to Villa Park. Speaking from experience there is one steward in particular in the Kop end at Anfield who does a similar job at ignoring things to what the guy at Villa Park did when you were there. The P*ki comment reminded me of a very similar incident at Anfield some seasons back where a knucklehead thought it was amusing to verbally abuse a small group of lads by using similar language to what was used to you. A regular steward was called over a number of time by my brother and I after we had had a few words with the idiot and the idiot even used the same word with the steward there and still the steward did nothing. The only time the steward actually grew a set was with me when I asked one of the guys being abused if he would switch seats with me so that I could sit between his mates and the guy with the racist comments and that saw mr racist comments go running to the steward about me swapping seats.

I really hope it does not turn you off going to Villa Park (or any other grounds) and that you and your family have many more trips there with no such hassle in the future. It takes a lot of effort and money for people to make trips to games like you and your family did, and nobody has the right to ruin the trip or a portion of the trip.

As for the club not getting back to you quickly. That is poor enough form on the surface of things, but maybe they are checking things in detail before replying and you will get a response once they have done so. I hope so anyway.

God these international breaks make Saturdays so boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Neil3030 wrote: »

Agreed.

Speak for yourself, I just built a piggy bank

astonaidan wrote: »
    Speak for yourself, I just built a piggy bank

Well for those of who don't engineer novelty currency storage items, it's a boring day!

F365 column claiming Alan Hutton is being targeted by Blackpool for a loan move.

Can't imagine they will contribute much, if anything, towards his wages. Don't they have a self-imposed 10k p/w cap?

F365 column claiming Alan Hutton is being targeted by Blackpool for a loan move.

Can't imagine they will contribute much, if anything, towards his wages. Don't they have a self-imposed 10k p/w cap?

Still better than nothing and Im sure it would be better to have him playing that rotting in reserves

astonaidan wrote: »
    Still better than nothing and Im sure it would be better to have him playing that rotting in reserves

Yeah, might get a few quid as a fee aswell, I suppose.

Anyone see what Kozak's goal for the Czech Reupblic was like tonight?

Didn't see the goal but apparently he elbowed some guy, leaving him blood all over his face... :/

Didn't see the goal but apparently he elbowed some guy, leaving him blood all over his face... :/

Ah that'll mean nothing in the Premiership, sure if Ivanovic can get away with it of course we can too :confused:

His speciality apparently.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement