Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Championship, Division 1 and 2 and Conference

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Cobblers win again. Fight back continues. Still in relegation spot but nice to win and couple of goals again tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Leicester City flying to promotion you suspect
    Yeovil Town three red cards today!
    Wolves top of League One on g/d
    Luton Town march on in Conference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

notts county are screwed!

Point for the Cobblers against fellow strugglers Bristol Rovers, not ideal, but a lot of teams around them lost so could have been worse.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Oh well!! Looks like another season in lowly League Two for Southend! Can't seem to buy a win at the moment!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Took in the Barnet Woking game the weekend

Very impressive setup they have, pity about the result but good enough to remain in the playoffs

Good point for Northampton away at Scunthorpe with 10 men for most 2nd half. Sadly though just about every other result today went against us. Still 6 points off safety. (with a worse GD it's more like 7 points)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Another defeat for Southend!!

After I saw that we were 1-0 up I started chanting "We're gonna lose 2-1!" It was fairly inevitable really. Thankfully, we're safe from relegation!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭markest

Exeter 0 Cobblers 1. Narrows the gap to 3 points. Wonder if we can beat 'em again in the rugby on Sunday.

Wolves look to be striding to promotion, 9 wins on bounce and two games in hand on second place Orient.

• Advertisement

Battering for Northampton last night, ended 7 game unbeaten run. Big game against Morecambe Saturday now.

Wolves draw and lose, so much for striding anywhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Derby v Forest kicking off at 12:15pm on Sky Sports. Always one of my favourite derbies to watch over the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Paully D wrote: »
    Derby v Forest kicking off at 12:15pm on Sky Sports. Always one of my favourite derbies to watch over the last few years.

Always a cracker. Plenty of Irish interest too with Keogh, Hendrick and Cox playing.

1-0 Derby, Bryson.

Another draw today for the Cobblers, games running out and needed to start picking up 3 points. Has been much better since Wilder came but looks like it might be too little too late.

Derby County back on track after a poor period Wolves likewise.

Neil Warnock has pulled out of doing TalkSport's breakfast show tomorrow. The Telegraph reported tonight that the Forest owners had met with Warnock last night too. Looks like a change of manager will be happening there after Davies has gone 7 games without a win and fallen out with the owner over the clubs transfer policy.

Billy Davies has fallen out with someone? Shirley not! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Wigan are absolutely flying. They'll finish 3rd.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »

Wheels have fallen off at Coventry, Pressley did so well to wipe out the deficit and get them up the league, 1 win in last 9 has dragged them right back into the danger zone. Their away following is great for the other teams coffers though.

Another last minute goal for Wimbledon tonight felt like a kick in the nuts. By all accounts they deserved to win, with ten men, but were losing deep into injury time which would have put Northampton level on points with 3rd bottom team. Yet again though, the Cobblers couldn't beat ten men and had to settle for a point. Desperately needed a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Yeovil within 30 seconds of causing a massive upset tonight....feel really sorry for them. Burnley now within two points of Leicester at the top but its all academic as both are out of sight of the chasing pack. Reading and Wigan both beaten, Rangers coming into a bit of form. Barnsley putting 3 pas Reading at Madejski was a surprise, but we say that every weekend in this division. Leeds need a many hours of lessons in the art of defending, and Forest the same for finishing.

Can't believe nobody has mentioned the fact that Leicester's goal was scored by Kasper Schmeichel! Bullet header.

Wolves win and Orient draw but Brentford suffer defeat,Wolves now look nailed on for promotion if they win their game in hand over Orient ( would be a 10 points gap) while Brentford should also go straight up with two games in hand on the Os

So the Cobblers desperation really setting in, they are trying to sign Akinfenwa for a 3rd time. Doubt he will be match fit, and with 7 games left seems an odd choice. Fans love him though.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Can't believe nobody has mentioned the fact that Leicester's goal was scored by Kasper Schmeichel! Bullet header.

When i was typing my post, it was still being credited to Wood. The ref didn't originally award Schmeichel's header.......only Wood's follow up. OPTA gave it to Schmeichel not long after.

That's all my optimism gone, 3 nil home defeat by Bury for Northampton today. Apparently played abysmally, Cobblers looking to non league for first time and they are going be lumbered with a 10,000 seat stadium in the Skrill.

• Advertisement

Wolves with a big win at MK Dons - Orient lost and Brentford drew. Really do look safe for automatic promotion now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Think we just relegated Torquay.

Vintage day for Southend though. Freddy Eastwood rolling back the years with teams all around us dropping points.

Nauseatingly Peterborough won the Johnstone's Paint Trophy at the weekend. Hard to stomach looking at Ferguson, MacAnthony and Fry lording it up. Can only hope they fail to stay in the promotion play-off spots now. Them going up and the Cobblers going down would have me reaching for the spy-strength cyanide capsules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Hopefully Leicster can win this and edge closer to inevitable promotion, would be a great addition to the top flight.

Leicester are virtually guaranteed promotion now after winning 2-1 tonight. As Raf has said above, they'll be a nice addition to the Premier League. It's said about almost every team that gets promoted but I think they'll have a lot of work to do in the summer to push on.

I know from experience of seeing Sunderland down there quite a lot that once you get a bit of momentum and the squad is buying into it that you can put a promotion run together, but individually there's very few players in their squad that seem good enough to hold their own in the Premier League IMO.

What do those who have watched the Championship week in, week out this year think? Am I being a bit too harsh on their players?

Paully D wrote: »

What do those who have watched the Championship week in, week out this year think? Am I being a bit too harsh on their players?
    Lets just say they'll need a couple of defenders. The likes of Wes Morgan, James, Schlupp, De Laet, are not good enough for the Prem. Knockaert, Nugent, Schmeichel, and maybe Dyer on the wing are the only ones who i think are genuinely good enough to step up a level.

Leicester were always going to go up this season, if not next. So much money has been pumped in to them that they really had to succeed at some point.

• Advertisement

There is a great piece from a local paper about Northampton's plight and the difference between this team and our previous worst struggle (of which there have been many.)
    “What is it all about, this dogged identification with mediocrity? No more than the inadequate identifying with the inept? Or something brave, charming, important?”
    So wrote the Independent’s Peter Popham in April 1992, about Northampton Town fans, their club in administration with the manager and nine players sacked to cut costs.
    The Northampton team of ’93 didn’t really need a sign telling them to “fight for it”: resentment at careers ended on a low note was enough for old stagers Chard, Terry and Beavon with local pride important to youth products Colkin and Harmon.
    The current Cobblers line-up however could do with an aeroplane fly-by a la David Moyes saying “at least just try”.
    In terms of technique, Chris Hackett, Emile Sinclair, Alan Connell and Mathias Doumbe are miles ahead of their early nineties counterparts while Sixfields (with a redevelopment due) is a world away from the ramshackle County Ground.
    If the Cobblers do go down this season then it will be an affront to the bucket rattling volunteers that saved the club from bankruptcy, forming the first ever Supporter’s Trust and the players lumbered with the tag of worst ever but who never sank so low.
    Northampton have six games to pull themselves together with the Wycombe away match on Good Friday an opportunity to live up to that Severn-side final fight, a chance to achieve something brave, charming, important.

Read more: http://www.northampton-news-hp.co.uk/Sport/Cobblers/Gripped-by-the-Cobblers-The-Tom-Reed-column-Northampton-need-to-find-some-Shrewsbury-spirit-20140401105042.htm#ixzz2y0d8fEqy

Cobblers managed a win, took 400 fans up to Accrington, still 2nd bottom, still realistically haven't gained any ground on 3rd bottom. Huge game away to Wycombe on the horizon. Sh*t or bust I reckon.

Wolves are up to the Championship, 0-2 at Crewe.

Brentford lose and Orient win so its game on for the 2nd slot.

What is Watford's ****ing problem with playing the last 3 minutes plus stoppages?!?

2-2 away to Millwall: 94th min equaliser
    1-1 home to Burnley: 87th min equaliser
    3-3 home to Blackburn: 90th min equaliser
    1-2 away to Doncaster: 90th min goal to lose
    2-2 away to Leicester: 90th min equaliser

That's only since the start of February too! Ridiculous.

7 points off 6th with a game in hand. Should be a lot closer.

Fantastic win for the Cobblers, still in bottom 2 but only on goal difference, and only 3 points off 18th. Wycombe away is going to be MASSIVE. Kelvin Langmead our captain was back after missing nearly whole season too. Hope again.

• Advertisement

Northampton now level on points with Wycombe. I'd love if they managed to save themselves given where they were earlier on in the season. They've been mightily impressive over these recent months.

Meanwhile, in other news, Southend lose.......again. Before January we were looking at mounting a challenge for the top three and automatic promotion. Now we'll be lucky to hang on to our play-off spot. Accrington did us a massive favour today. Hopefully they can do us another favour and roll over when we face them on the 21st.

Fantastic win for the Cobblers, still in bottom 2 but only on goal difference, and only 3 points off 18th. Wycombe away is going to be MASSIVE. Kelvin Langmead our captain was back after missing nearly whole season too. Hope again.

Just got there before me!!! :P :D

Wilberto wrote: »
    Just got there before me!!! :P :D

Hehe, I would have been quicker posting, but have been running round the house for the last 10 minutes! Thanks for the hope that Northampton stay up though!

Gigantic game for Northampton away at Wycombe, taking at least 2000 fans down there. 3 points would get us out of bottom 2 for first time in months.

Win would have been massive, but point keeps us in it.

2,129 Cobblers fans in crowd of 7,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

The Bees are promoted to the Championship!

With Leyton Orient and Rotherham failing to get anything out of their games (Rotherham involved in a 10 goal thriller with Wolves) Brentfords 1 nil victory over Preston is enough to gain automatic promotion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Bees up! Worked in Ladbrokes there one summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

It is all happening in the Blackpool-Burnley match, none of it on the pitch. Fans protesting by throwing tennis balls and oranges onto the pitch and then the Blackpool assistant manager starts fighting with Stephen Dobbie. Relegation looks likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Wilberto wrote: »

Meanwhile, in other news, Southend lose.......again. Before January we were looking at mounting a challenge for the top three and automatic promotion. Now we'll be lucky to hang on to our play-off spot. Accrington did us a massive favour today. Hopefully they can do us another favour and roll over when we face them on the 21st.

We'll be fine mate. I've a very good feeling we'll be going to Wembley in a few weeks.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    We'll be fine mate. I've a very good feeling we'll be going to Wembley in a few weeks.

WOW!! Where did today's result come from??!! Also, with Plymouth losing I think our play-off spot should be safe after all. Oxford United are on an absolute torrid run that will probably end up costing them a shot at promotion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement