Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Championship, Division 1 and 2 and Conference

• 26-07-2013 4:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭

Well who do you think will win the three lower divisions fancy Bolton myself for the Championship, with maybe Wolves and Portsmouth for Divisions 1 and 2. Anyone any inside information as to whether teams have spent big down in the lower leagues?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Could you revise the title to include the Conference. It included the expression "and below" last season and with Barnet's relegation it would be nice to have somewhere to post from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

If Wigan manage to hold onto McCarthy/McManaman etc I'll be having a bet on them to win the Championship at 12/1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ipswich to reach promotion play offs at least. Wolves to go up (!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Of the relegated teams in the Championship you would have to fancy QPR and Reading, Wigan's squad and manager is not much of a threat. Hard to know how Brighton will manage with their changes at the end of the season, Watford will be there or there abouts. Hard to know about Leicester, not sure if Pearson is up to the task. Bolton and Forest are serious threats, if they had the manager they finished the season with for the whole year they would have finished in the playoffs. Ipswich and Middlesbrough should be close to the playoffs. A bit like Liverpool in the PL, I always think that this will be the year that Leeds return to the PL but it never seems to come together. I hope my team, Birmingham, can mount a playoff challenge but I expect midtable mediocrity.

My predictions would be

Champions: QPR
    Runners Up: Bolton
    Playoffs: Nottingham Forest, Reading, Leeds, and Ipswich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,368 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

So long as neither Barnsley or Yeovil get relegated from the championship I'm happy, hard to see it happening though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Wigan to go straight back up up in Championship with Bolton. Sheffield Utd to finally get out of League One, Wolves might finally bounce back too. Portsmouth to win league 2, Hartlepool to go up. Northampton to make the playoffs and get battered in the final again or struggle to avoid relegation. Hopefully Peterborough get relegated to League 2 and Barnet get out of Conference for Greendom's sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

greendom wrote: »
    Could you revise the title to include the Conference. It included the expression "and below" last season and with Barnet's relegation it would be nice to have somewhere to post from time to time.

I've fixed that up for ya

Watford will get it this season. *fingers crossed*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Championship- Reading. Wigan are a decent price aswell. Would love to see Yeovil do well but I can only see them going down.

League 1- Peterborough to win, Wolves should get promoted but I wouldnt have any faith in them at all. Coventry to get relegated.

League 2- Northampton are a decent price to finish in the top 3. Pompey are favourites but Im wary of teams who get relegated after suffering from financial issues. Hoping Plymouth can do well and finish mid-table and possibly a playoff-spot.

Conference- Luton have to get promoted some year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Wigan should get back up if they can keep hold of some of- Mcmanaman , Maloney, McCarthy, Gomez, Beausejour.

With Holt and Fortune they'll score goals. A couple of additions to the defence they'll be very solid and should get back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Done, what chance Barnett getting up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Consolidation season for Bradford would be acceptable

patmac wrote: »
    Done, what chance Barnett getting up?

It's a tough league to get out of. I wish Davids had been appointed earlier and we'd still be in League 2. Still with him agreeing to stay in charge there's always a chance. He has Paul Fairclough to turn to, whose knowledge of the non-league game is immense, so I'm optimistic - you kind of have to be at this stage.

It's a tough league to get out of. I wish Davids had been appointed earlier and we'd still be in League 2. Still with him agreeing to stay in charge there's always a chance. He has Paul Fairclough to turn to, whose knowledge of the non-league game is immense, so I'm optimistic - you kind of have to be at this stage.

Good luck so I will throw them into one of my lucky 15s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I think QPR with the squad and manager will run away with the Championship.
    The race for second involves Leeds, Forrest, Leicester and Bolton. Ipswich who had one of the best second halves of the seasons 12/13 should challange for 2-6 also.
    Watch out for Bournemouth making waves.
    In L1 Sheffield Utd,Wolves and MK Dons should be all there abouts.
    L2 Cheltenham who were unlucky last year anf if the can keep the core of the squad are a fancy pushed by big spending Fleetwood.
    Conference between Kidderminster and Wrexham.
    But then again none of the above will probably happen.

I think QPR with the squad and manager will run away with the Championship.
    The race for second involves Leeds, Forrest, Leicester and Bolton. Ipswich who had one of the best second halves of the seasons 12/13 should challange for 2-6 also.
    Watch out for Bournemouth making waves.
    In L1 Sheffield Utd,Wolves and MK Dons should be all there abouts.
    L2 Cheltenham who were unlucky last year anf if the can keep the core of the squad are a fancy pushed by big spending Fleetwood.
    Conference between Kidderminster and Wrexham.
    But then again none of the above will probably happen.

Don't see MK doing anything different from what they have done previously. Missing out on the play offs, adding high profile has been to coaching or playing staff and reminding everyone how young their coach is. Reckon he might get the boot this year actually.

Lando what makes you think Leeds will be so much better this season? Just out of interest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Lando what makes you think Leeds will be so much better this season? Just out of interest

better manager for starters -

i agree with Lando's comments - think McLaren coaching at QPR will really help them - and Bournemouth , always had a soft spot for

thebaz wrote: »
    better manager for starters -

i agree with Lando's comments - think McLaren coaching at QPR will really help them - and Bournemouth , always had a soft spot for

I agree there's a better manager in but I dont think you have strengthened tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

They have added no one to the squad and I thought last year was a hugh disappointment but BMD should achieve 2-6 with them.

They have added no one to the squad and I thought last year was a hugh disappointment but BMD should achieve 2-6 with them.

Really? I think theres a lot of average players there at Champ level but maybe Ill be proven wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Leeds have added Noel Hunt, Luke Murphy and Matt Smith(Liverpool and Everton fans should remember him).

We need more signings though, last season was inconsistent and unless the players have a good increase in performance then we could see similar his season. At the minute it's looking like a one in - one out transfer policy which is far from ideal as BMD seems to have at least one player lined up to bring in as soon as someone leaves.

Rumour has it that Matt Mills could be a player he's really interested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Championship: Bolton, would have fancied Brighton until Poyet was sacked

League 1: Brentford to pip Wolves

League 2: Portsmouth with a bit to spare

Conference: Wrexham

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Boots234

Hopefully Middlesbrough can get back to the premier league but I think they will just miss out on the playoffs again this year

Just realised the lower leagues kick off on Friday night! :( or :) depending how you look at it.

League One Sheffield United 19 : 45 Notts County

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭Clemenza

As always, the Championship will be a lottery this season.

I expect Wigan, QPR, Bolton and Watford to battle for the 2 automatic places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

mike65 wrote: »
    Just realised the lower leagues kick off on Friday night! :( or :) depending how you look at it.

League One Sheffield United 19 : 45 Notts County

Yeah kicks off the 125 year football league celebrations too, nice touch to have the founding members that can play each other re-enact those first ever fixtures.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/01/football-league-125th-anniversary-fixture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Blackburn "Jordan Rhodes" Rovers for the Championship this season!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

New season, new hopes and despairs.

Up the Owls

Wigan 13/10 to beat Barnsley away today. Looks a good bet to me, Wigan should be too strong with the likes of McCarthy, McManaman and Maloney still there.

• Advertisement

Wigan are looking like a squad who could (if they all stay) be hard to stop this season.

Johner wrote: »
    Wigan 13/10 to beat Barnsley away today. Looks a good bet to me, Wigan should be too strong with the likes of McCarthy, McManaman and Maloney still there.

Wigan!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

mike65 wrote: »
    Wigan are looking like a squad who could (if they all stay) be hard to stop this season.

Got to factor in Europe though if they make the group stages of the Europa League. It really dented Birmingham in their first season down after winning the League Cup.

I honestly think they'll throw the EL - not too obviously but enough to get knocked out.

New season, same old sh*t for Northampton's away following to endure. 600 travelled, they saw the Cobblers do their usual trick, keep it tight for 80+ minutes then lose 1 nil. Boothroyd then comes out and say he thinks they deserved a point.

Negative away and he still hasn't changed the way he plays, until there's points given for "nearly getting a draw", his system isn't going to working.

Maybe he will have an epiphany after this game. Maybe not. Good forbid we get to play off final again.

Some statement by Watford.

• Advertisement

Nice home win for Bradford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Some statement by Watford.

Indeed it was. A strange stat though, Watford only had 34% possession, playing at home.

If they can score six times with such limited possession, they'll take stopping this year.

McCarthy is working his magic at Ipswich, look a decent bet for playoffs with the squad they have. Tommy Smith and Paul Anderson were great signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Paddy Power up to their old tricks at Farnborough.

"The players of the Skrill Conference South side have all changed their names by Deed Poll to those of the greatest footballers to have graced a football pitch. From Gordon Banks in goal to Zinedine Zidane, Pele, Lionel Messi and Diego Maradona outfield. Of course John Terry has gotten in on the action just in case they win something. Even team manager Spencer Day is getting in on the fun and will now stalk the sidelines under his new moniker, José Mourinho."

http://blog.paddypower.com/2013/08/13/paddy-power-turns-farnborough-fc-into-the-greatest-team-of-all-time/?AFF_ID=16561

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/229595.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Paddy Power up to their old tricks at Farnborough.

"The players of the Skrill Conference South side have all changed their names by Deed Poll to those of the greatest footballers to have graced a football pitch. From Gordon Banks in goal to Zinedine Zidane, Pele, Lionel Messi and Diego Maradona outfield. Of course John Terry has gotten in on the action just in case they win something. Even team manager Spencer Day is getting in on the fun and will now stalk the sidelines under his new moniker, José Mourinho."

http://blog.paddypower.com/2013/08/13/paddy-power-turns-farnborough-fc-into-the-greatest-team-of-all-time/?AFF_ID=16561

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/229595.html

Read that elsewhere earlier. It should have it's own thread. Brilliant idea in a total sellout kind of way

Coventry 2nd largest average attendance in League 1 last year over 10,000, moved to Northampton (35 miles away) as the owners have a dispute over one of the more modern stadiums the Ricoh Arena, something to do with rent arrears, anyway Coventry supporters have called on a boycott and only 2,206 showed up for the 'home' game against Bristol City (mind you they missed a nine goal thriller which Coventry won with a goal in the last minute). Sad news for the club who graced the old premiership for many a season.
    Would have thought that 8000 supporters spending £10 a head would save the club but obviously the new owners have other ideas, sad really not looking good for them especially with a 10 point deduction.

• Advertisement

patmac wrote: »
    Coventry 2nd largest average attendance in League 1 last year over 10,000, moved to Northampton (35 miles away) as the owners have a dispute over one of the more modern stadiums the Ricoh Arena, something to do with rent arrears, anyway Coventry supporters have called on a boycott and only 2,206 showed up for the 'home' game against Bristol City (mind you they missed a nine goal thriller which Coventry won with a goal in the last minute). Sad news for the club who graced the old premiership for many a season.
    Would have thought that 8000 supporters spending £10 a head would save the club but obviously the new owners have other ideas, sad really not looking good for them especially with a 10 point deduction.

About a thousand Cov fans turned up. Outnumbered by the "away" Bristol City fans.

Barnet sitting proudly at the top of the Pyramid after a 3 - 0 away win at Braintree.

Braintree had 2 sent-off in the first half, but Barnet managed to keep things relatively tense by missing a first-half penalty and going in 0-0 at half-time

2nd half though was a bit of a stroll though - long may it last.

Championship Fixtures Sat 31st Aug

Leeds v QPR - Home Win
    Barnsley v Huddersfield - Home Win
    Birmingham v Ipswich - Draw
    Blackburn v Bolton - Home win
    Blackpool v Watford - Away Win
    Brighton v Millwall - Draw
    Charlton v Leicester - Away Win
    Derby v Burnley - Draw
    Doncaster v Bournemouth - Draw
    Middlebrough v Sheff Wed - Home Win
    Wigan v Nottm Forest - Draw
    Yeovil v Reading - Away Win

Northampton dire this season, relegation candidates on early form. We have more away sendings off than points which is nice. Boothroyd still trotting out the same old excuses. Seasons only just begun though, so won't be TOO negative. Not like Aidy's tactics.

Below Conference level, but once stalwarts of that league and flirted with promotion to the football league, Kettering Town have finally gone out of business, wound up for a 58 thousand pound debt. Very sad.

Below Conference level, but once stalwarts of that league and flirted with promotion to the football league, Kettering Town have finally gone out of business, wound up for a 58 thousand pound debt. Very sad.
    Hadn't they been tethering on the brink for the last couple of years? Shame to think a local business man with a few bob could not have stepped in to save them. I guess it's the times we live in, everyone is minding their money.

What has happened to Bolton? Just short of the play offs after a strong second half last season, currently on 2 points after 6 games having scored just 3 goals and shipped 11.

The bigger mystery is what is Paul Ince doing at Blackpool, on paper an average squad and an average manager but something seems to be working for them.

Northampton Towns hangover, from the horror show play off defeat goes on, as they slip into familiar territory of the relegation places in League 2. Aidy Boothroyd has assembled a squad, all his signings now bar one or two, which is significantly worse than what they had already. Still early season but it doesn't look good so far.

What the heck is going on at Bolton? Rock bottom, 3 draws and 5 losses

• Advertisement
Advertisement