Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Championship, Division 1 and 2 and Conference

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    It is all happening in the Blackpool-Burnley match, none of it on the pitch. Fans protesting by throwing tennis balls and oranges onto the pitch and then the Blackpool assistant manager starts fighting with Stephen Dobbie. Relegation looks likely.

What the hell happened to them?

At the start of December they were in the playoff spots and had only lost a few times, then they went 17 in a row without a win and have since only won 2 from 26. Crazy, crazy stuff. I can't say I can ever remember such a contrast in form.

I hope they don't go down as it's a cracking away trip for Sunderland next season, but it doesn't look good for them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Games running out for Northampton, still in bottom 2, point would have taken them out of relegation spot for first time in months but lost to Portsmouth at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Well done to Burnley on sealing promotion to the cash cow, aka the Premier League. Probably favourites to make the return trip next may, but they'll earn a few bob now. Plus, they've got a couple of ex City players as mainstays in their defence (Kieran Trippier and Ben Mee).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Fair play to Burnley on automatic promotion, it's some achievement when you look at some of the other teams in the fight for play-offs spots. Dyche has done some job with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

shrewdness wrote: »
    Fair play to Burnley on automatic promotion, it's some achievement when you look at some of the other teams in the fight for play-offs spots. Dyche has done some job with them.

Considering they keep losing their goal machines over the last 2 years too (Rodriguez and Austin) they have done brilliantly. Ings was another great find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

SantryRed wrote: »
    What is Watford's ****ing problem with playing the last 3 minutes plus stoppages?!?

2-2 away to Millwall: 94th min equaliser
    1-1 home to Burnley: 87th min equaliser
    3-3 home to Blackburn: 90th min equaliser
    1-2 away to Doncaster: 90th min goal to lose
    2-2 away to Leicester: 90th min equaliser

That's only since the start of February too! Ridiculous.

7 points off 6th with a game in hand. Should be a lot closer.

Add today's game away to QPR to that list with a last minute winner by Charlie Austin. Play off not happening now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Wycombe lose again. Fortunately so did teams below us but it's still on GD...

G.K. wrote: »
    Wycombe lose again. Fortunately so did teams below us but it's still on GD...

Bristol Rovers against your lot is massive. It's good for Northampton because it guarantees a poor result for a team level on points with us. We have Dagenham away and then Oxford at home last game of the season (No love lost there and we poached their manager). Horrible feeling with trap door so close.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Bristol Rovers against your lot is massive. It's good for Northampton because it guarantees a poor result for a team level on points with us. We have Dagenham away and then Oxford at home last game of the season (No love lost there and we poached their manager). Horrible feeling with trap door so close.

I'd definitely fancy Northampton against Oxford. Oxford are on a pretty awful run of late that has now seen any hope of an automatic promotion place disappear along with any hope of being promoted at all!

I didn't realise it was yourselves that robbed their manager though. I knew they lost him and that that was the start of their demise but I assumed he just left for a team in a higher division.

Meanwhile, Southend all but confirm their place in the play-off. 6 points clear of Oxford, and with a 10 goal advantage! Just as well too, because we have a trip to Fleetwood this Saturday, and finish up at home to Burton Albion. Still a lot to play for though because, should we win both those games, it means we get to play the second leg of the play-off semifinal at home.

Fingers crossed that this year will be our year!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Ye its some achievement for burnley getting promoted. My Dad is a fan of over 50 years and I adopted them as my 2nd club when they beat leyton orient on the last day of the season back in the 80's to avoid relegation to the conference.
    I honestly thought they would get relegated at the start of the season qpr signed charlie Austin( the main striker) 2 days before the season started and they had struggled the season before. They didnt bring in a replacement till January and went with their only 2 strikers vokes and ings week in week out. They got a bit lucky with injuries as basically the same eleven players played every game with little or no options on the bench.
    Much better equiped to stay up this time around as they are almost debt free so should be able to sign a few players this time around. They also had to give free season tickets to all fans that bought season tickets in their 08/09 promotion season as part of a season ticketing marketing campaign they ran that year which also hindered their finances. Kieran trippier in particular will be one to watch next year have been very impressed with him every time Ive seen him.

Cobblers have been in the relegation zone since early September, hopefully on course to get out of it today, 3 nil up,
    BmJ9v9mCUAERfIC.png

Ivan Toney has scored 2 and was trending on Twitter. Scored a bicycle kick apparently, that and this face:

BmJ79e6CIAAsw1-.jpg

Still need a win next week the way scores are going though.

Fantastic win for the Cobblers, still not safe yet, need a point now since Wycombe lost to Bristol Rovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

In the Championship it is down to 3 (Reading, Wigan and Brighton) for the last 2 playoff spots. Wigan will guarantee their spot if they win their midweek game.

At the bottom, Yeovil and Barnsley were both relegated this weekend. It is between Birmingham, Doncaster, Milwall, Charlton and Blackpool. Both Birmingham and Charlton have games in hand. Charlton play Watford at home, they should win that. Birmingham play Wigan at home, given Birmingham have not won at home this season and the fact Wigan will guarantee a playoff spot if they win you can put this down as an easy Wigan win.

As a Birmingham fan, I cannot see us staying up. If we get nothing midweek, we have to beat Bolton away or get a point and hope Doncaster get nothing at Leicester. I honestly cannot see that happening. Have to start preparing for League 1.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    In the Championship it is down to 3 (Reading, Wigan and Brighton) for the last 2 playoff spots. Wigan will guarantee their spot if they win their midweek game.

At the bottom, Yeovil and Barnsley were both relegated this weekend. It is between Birmingham, Doncaster, Milwall, Charlton and Blackpool. Both Birmingham and Charlton have games in hand. Charlton play Watford at home, they should win that. Birmingham play Wigan at home, given Birmingham have not won at home this season and the fact Wigan will guarantee a playoff spot if they win you can put this down as an easy Wigan win.

As a Birmingham fan, I cannot see us staying up. If we get nothing midweek, we have to beat Bolton away or get a point and hope Doncaster get nothing at Leicester. I honestly cannot see that happening. Have to start preparing for League 1.

If Wigan lose midweek, Blackburn are in the mix then too as they [play Wigan next weekend and a win would take them above Wigan (think Wigan have 5 better GD than them at min so unless was two 1-0 defeats Blackburn would go ahead of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Hereford survived in a dramatic last day in the Conference, starting 2 points behind Chester, thinks looked bleak with 4 minutes to go with Chester leading 2-1 and Hereford drawing 1-1, but Salisbury equalised and Rankine scored the winner against Aldershot in the 88th minute to stay up.

• Advertisement

patmac wrote: »
    Hereford survived in a dramatic last day in the Conference, starting 2 points behind Chester, thinks looked bleak with 4 minutes to go with Chester leading 2-1 and Hereford drawing 1-1, but Salisbury equalised and Rankine scored the winner against Aldershot in the 88th minute to stay up.

How is their finances now? Omid Djali the comedian did a fund raising gig for them didn't he.

Good luck for all the teams at with something to play for, sick feeling in my stomach that Oxford will do us and Wycombe beat Torquay, really hope I'm wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Mad **** going on now.

Brum staying up reading no in playoffs. still time for that to change

Gotta love the Championship. At the 90 minute mark, Reading were in the play offs and Birmingham were going down. Within 3 minutes, 2 90th min goals and Brighton grab 6th and Doncaster banished to League One, incredible!

Lee Clark jumping into the Birmingham fans is an embarrassment considering he was a fanny hair away from taking them down. He should be ashamed to have them in that position, now he's acting like a saviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Paully D wrote: »
    Lee Clark jumping into the Birmingham fans is an embarrassment considering he was a fanny hair away from taking them down. He should be ashamed to have them in that position, now he's acting like a saviour.
    Agreed. I wouldn't put big money on him being there next August.

Bristol Rovers lost to go down to conference with Torquay. Terrible run at the wrong time for them, lost last 5 out of 6 I think. Chris Wilder worked miracles at the Cobblers when he took over. Fantastic, didn't look like we would stay up after being in bottom 2 for most of the season.

Northampton were in relegation spot for 217 days of the season, Wycombe 7 and Bristol Rovers 70 minutes. Football certainly can be cruel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Leicester City thinking big - maybe too big (usual hubris)

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/13/leicester-owners-top-five-premier-league
    The Thai owners of newly promoted Leicester City are willing to spend $300m (£180m) to achieve their goal of finishing in the top five of the English Premier League within the next three seasons.

Leicester sealed a place in the lucrative top flight of English football by winning the Championship title last month, ending a decade-long absence from the Premier League. Like all promoted clubs, survival is the initial goal for Leicester but billionaire chairman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha has grander notions in the years ahead.

Also
    Leicester City's manager, Nigel Pearson, won the Sky Bet Football League Championship manager of the year award after he steered the Foxes to automatic promotion to the top flight, while Wolves' Kenny Jackett and Leyton Orient's Russell Slade were named joint League One managers of the year.

Scunthorpe's Russ Wilcox picked up the League Two award, with Sheffield United's Nigel Clough named the FA Cup manager of the yea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Thoughts on Derby v QPR?

QPR at 9/5 seems a decent price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

djPSB wrote: »
    Thoughts on Derby v QPR?

Ya Derby would have to be slight favourites alright, on a 7 game unbeaten streak with QPR losing 2 and drawing 2 in that same period. Games between the two sides were wins to whoever was at home with the most recent being Derbys 1-0 win at Pride Park in February. Derby were the best attacking force this year in the championship too scoring more than winners Leicester but QPR had the fourth best defensive record. Should be a great contest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

djPSB wrote: »
    Thoughts on Derby v QPR?

Seems to be alot of positive vibes coming from the QPR camp for once.

I hate QPR, Derby County would be much more worthy I think. Harry can go stick his mercenaries up his jacksie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Bring on the hate, I have to say it's really amusing how a small club can generate such feelings!!!!

Small club with huge financial wealth, at least for a little while. Always going to generate dislike. They didn't exactly win over a lot of QPR fans with their pricing or bodge job badge either. That and Harry Redknapp has helped financially ruin a couple of clubs along the way doesn't ingratiate the club with a lot of fans.

In other news, the miserable, bitter Cobblers fan in me is delighted Posh got knocked out of the play-offs by Orient.

/mean spiritedness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Small club with huge financial wealth, at least for a little while. Always going to generate dislike. They didn't exactly win over a lot of QPR fans with their pricing or bodge job badge either. That and Harry Redknapp has helped financially ruin a couple of clubs along the way doesn't ingratiate the club with a lot of fans.

In other news, the miserable, bitter Cobblers fan in me is delighted Posh got knocked out of the play-offs by Orient.

/mean spiritedness.

Not huge in the real term. Tony Fernandes has pumped money in but that has stopped, Mark Hughes was a cluster FCUK, Harry spent big but still got relegated, que the shipping out of the big wage players, Park, Taarabt, Remy. QPR will make a tidy profit on Remy in the summer should they decide to sell. Heres hoping we go up but Derby are favs at the moment.

• Advertisement

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Not huge in the real term. Tony Fernandes has pumped money in but that has stopped, Mark Hughes was a cluster FCUK, Harry spent big but still got relegated, que the shipping out of the big wage players, Park, Taarabt, Remy. QPR will make a tidy profit on Remy in the summer should they decide to sell. Heres hoping we go up but Derby are favs at the moment.

Yeah its true enough now, but Mittal, Briatore and Ecclestone made all the wrong noises when they initially purchased QPR and wanting to turn it into a Boutique club (!?), and Mittal and Ecclestone still have their fingers in the pie there even if they aren't parting with any of their money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

ArielAtom wrote: »
    It's a difficult one, I used to go to Loftus Road a lot when I lived in Shepherd's Bush in the early 90's and was part of a peaceful pitch invasion against the then owners, so club ownership problems were going on then as well.
    A case of 'be careful what you wish for'? Have a soft spot for the club but it has been hard to warm to them under the recent regimes.
    By the way as the OP I have been keeping an eye on this thread and because of that I was pleased Northampton stayed up!

I'd rather Derby went up as QPR will compete for the same sort of players as us and probably land most of them ahead of us given that 1) they'll give them more money and 2) they're based in London. That, and it would be another long distance away day to the capital. Whereas Derby is much closer and won't be a threat in terms of transfers.

Cracking game going on between Rotherham and Preston atm.

Rotherham 2-1 up after being 1-0 down. They're 3-2 up on aggregate as it stands.

There's always one crazy play off game and this is it. Both teams going for it.

Steve Evans is horrendous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Come on Preston!!

Ridiculous save by Collin. That'll be the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Preston hit the post twice…Not their night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Ridiculously nervous right now.

COME ON SOUTHEND!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Brewers, brewers, brewers! :)

I ****ing hate League Two

Cracking game, unlucky Beefy.

I think Burton just shaded the game and were probably unlucky not to win it though.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I ****ing hate League Two

Commiserations, very unlucky. I love league 2 compared to what I nearly had to put up with though!

Southend United: Eastwood released by League Two club

Southend United have released experienced striker Freddy Eastwood after his second spell with the club.
    Eastwood, 30, first joined Southend in 2004 from Grays Athletic and played a major role in helping the Shrimpers secure successive promotions.
    He was sold to Wolves in 2007 for £1.5m and then moved to Coventry City in 2008 for £1.2m.
    Eastwood returned to Roots Hall in 2012 and leaves having scored a total of 77 goals for the Essex club.
    In a statement, the club described him as a "Southend legend".

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27543619

Heartbreaking news. I remember his debut hat-trick (including his first goal within 8 seconds of the kick off) like it was yesterday. 45 goals in two promotion seasons, scored at Cardiff in the Play-Offs and obviously THAT goal to beat Manchester United.

When we re-signed him in March 2012 it was a Thursday afternoon. By that evening I had a flight booked to Bristol to see his second debut at Rovers. Wouldn't have done that for any other player. #ThankYouFreddy

• Advertisement

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Southend United: Eastwood released by League Two club

Southend United have released experienced striker Freddy Eastwood after his second spell with the club.

Cutting the wage bill? Any rumours as to where he is off to?

Nah, ten goals in 60 games since he came back. The last time I saw him score was March 2007.

I think he would have stayed but it looks like we offered Lee Barnard a deal six months ago and I don't think there was room for both.

It is just so depressing though. The guy is 30 years old and should have been back with us another five years.

Stan Collymore
    Freddy Eastwood
    Mark Gower
    Simon Royce
    Chris Powell
    Ricky Otto

That's my top six Southend players ever. Stan was a super human and only played 30 games for us so Freddy was arguably the best.

The most valuable game in football kicks off at 3 pm

Derby XI: Grant: Wisdom, Buxton, Keogh, Forsyth, Thorne, Hughes, Hendrick, Russell, Ward, Martin

QPR XI : Green, Simpson, Dunne, Hill, Onuoha, Barton, Kranjcar, Hoilett, O'Neill, Austin and Doyle

mike65 wrote: »
    The most valuable game in football kicks off at 3 pm

Derby XI: Grant: Wisdom, Buxton, Keogh, Forsyth, Thorne, Hughes, Hendrick, Russell, Ward, Martin

QPR XI : Green, Simpson, Dunne, Hill, Onuoha, Barton, Kranjcar, Hoilett, O'Neill, Austin and Doyle

Come on Derby. I think QPR will do it though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement