Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What people from modern times will be talked about in 1000 years?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Shakespeare

Shakespeares Sister

EaRDGe2.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

LordBasil wrote: »
    Re; UK PMs - Quite a few actually; Disraeli, Gladstone, Lloyd George, Duke of Wellington, Walpole, Chamberlain, Baldwin

Not bad ... you managed to name seven prime ministers over 200+ years, which I daresay is far more than the average person could get.
    Re: Cowen - Well maybe not him specifically but the economic/financial collapse of the country was historic and unprecedented. I think we suffered the worst impact of the 2008 financial crisis of any country. The robbery of every person in the state to bailout billionaire bondholders will live long in the nation's memory.

The Great Depression of 1929–39 has already mostly faded from memory, even though it began just over 90 years ago. Ask people about the credit crisis of 1772 and few would have the foggiest notion. So I'm not optimistic about the 2008 crash sticking in the nation's memory for another millennium.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

iamstop wrote: »
    Most people forget about this deplorable person
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopold_II_of_Belgium
    Right prick alright.
    Some other I think will be remembered who I've not seen mentioned:
    Banksy - The mystery only adds to the intrigue
    Gaudi - The Cathedral should be finished in 100 years and hopefully still standing.
    James Brown and George Clinton - Not just for their own bodies of work and contributions to music but also for the shear volume of derivative works made from sampling them.
    Prince - The massive volume of work he composed will be studied much like Bach and Beethoven is now.

A lot of history is viewed with certain lenses. Some people who were vilified in their day get canonized over time by people cherry picking aspect of their lives that fits a narrative.
    History can be kind to some and quite mean and unfair to others.
    People like Churchill is remembered fat too favorably. The same could be argued for Guevara, Guy Fawkes and John Lennon.
    Well Lennon wrote better tunes so... :D

On music "legends" if you look at history the ones we remember today like Beethoven, Bach, Mozart etc were wildly popular when they were alive and stayed that way after they died. Struggling artists only discovered after they died are by a long way the outlier. Van Gogh has coloured our notions there, but even in his case if he hadn't died he would have been lauded very soon as at the time of his death he was starting to get serious interest(which makes it more tragic).

So over the last century it'll almost certainly be the heavy hitters who were popular when current and held onto that after they weren't that will likely be remembered. The Beatles an obvious one. EG they have sold over 65 million albums and tens of millions downloads just in the US, since 1995. 25 years after they split up. ABBA have sold crazy numbers of records. Far higher than many more vaunted acts. Of visual artists Picasso was a rich man by his 30's and remained wildly popular and well known right down to today where his stuff goes for bazillions when it comes up. Leo DaVinci was very well known in his time, Raphael's paintings were paraded through the streets when they were finished. Popularity and longevity of that popularity together seems to be the trick. Ditto for infamy and longevity of that infamy. So Hitler blows someone like Leopold the 2nd out of the water.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Nikola Tesla - because of the company run by Elon Musk named after Tesla. It'll be there in 1000 years time in some shape or form.

Henry Ford - the same because of the Ford company. That'll surely be there too.

Charles Dyson - I'm not sure with this company.

Basically if you want to be remembered. Have your name figure heading a successful company and pray that future generations recognize the solidity of that name on the company and continue on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Tommy Robinson. And Donald Trump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Stephen hawking most certainly will. When we are well Into colonising space and able to fully grasp what black holes actually are he will be up there.

Donald Trump will be little spoken about in a 1000 years, despite what some narrow minded people on this thread think. This is assuming he doesn't cause a civil war in the next few years.

Most people forget about this deplorable person
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopold_II_of_Belgium

Some other I think will be remembered who I've not seen mentioned:
    Banksy - The mystery only adds to the intrigue
    Gaudi - The Cathedral should be finished in 100 years and hopefully still standing.
    James Brown and George Clinton - Not just for their own bodies of work and contributions to music but also for the shear volume of derivative works made from sampling them.
    Prince - The massive volume of work he composed will be studied much like Bach and Beethoven is now.

A lot of history is viewed with certain lenses. Some people who were vilified in their day get canonized over time by people cherry picking aspect of their lives that fits a narrative.
    History can be kind to some and quite mean and unfair to others.
    People like Churchill is remembered fat too favorably. The same could be argued for Guevara, Guy Fawkes and John Lennon.

I don't think people realise how long 1000 years is. Name someone from 1000 years ago that is popularly known

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

They will talk about who ever invented digital currency like bitcoin,
    you can use to buy items on the web, it can be used around the world .who ever invented the web browser and html, making it patent free for any one to use.Western companys are now buying millions of digital coins as an investment as in the past they would buy stocks .
    people like the beatles and madonna ,its not easy to make 3 or more classic albums that can still be listened to after 50 years .
    great writers like charles dickens and shakespeare will still be remembered .
    lenin stalin and mao will be remembered as ruthless poilticians who ruled over millions .

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I don't think people realise how long 1000 years is. Name someone from 1000 years ago that is popularly known

I don't think you realise how different the world is now than it was 1000 years ago. How we process and store information and that there is also vastly more people in the world than 1020

Here is a list of 75 people who are still thought about, remembered and written about to this day:
    https://www.thoughtco.com/ancient-people-you-should-know-117290

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    Stephen hawking most certainly will.
    I suspect not. His main scientific achievement was Hawking radiation, but while impressive that's small fry compared to Einstein or Newton. Those two are remembered, even though there were shed loads of other great thinkers in their area at the time. Stephen hawking became a celebrity because of his writing and disability. Again that's a hell of an achievement, but 1000 year legacy? I seriously doubt it.
    Depends on who you ask L and how you pose the question to jog a memory. A European might struggle, though an Englishman might recall King Canute and later the Battle of Hastings with William the conqueror and Harold the last English king, a Spaniard would recall ElCid, an Arab would have a host of names from the first caliphate and outside that empire the pope kicked off the crusades in response to Muslim invasion of the Holy Lands. I'd be willing to bet you've heard of William the conqueror and El Cid and the crusades and you'd certainly be aware of Brian Boru.
    riclad wrote: »
    They will talk about who ever invented digital currency like bitcoin,
    you can use to buy items on the web, it can be used around the world .who ever invented the web browser and html, making it patent free for any one to use.
    If you can't name them now, then the chances they'll be remembered outside academia are pretty slim to be fair. Bitcoin may be The Future, or it may be a flash in the pan and a very new economics could come to pass. It certainly will over the next 1000 years. Money of any form as we know of it could well cease to exist. Go back a 1000 years and paper money was unknown outside of China and there it was a direct receipt for coinage that had zero value in of itself, cheques ditto(though the Romans had something kinda similar and there was kinda similar among the wealthy), credit was operated very differently, barter was still very much a thing and the value of coinage was mostly tied to its rarity as a metal.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

You need a gimmick to be remembered. Newton's apple dropping on his head (never happened btw), Canute trying to turn the tide (also never happened, not like we think anyway). Washington and his cherry tree (never happened) but nice little stories like those stick in people's minds for ages.

Given his instrumental role in the decision of the UK to opt to Brexit - Nigel Farage.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Invidious wrote: »
    Not bad ... you managed to name seven prime ministers over 200+ years, which I daresay is far more than the average person could get.

The Great Depression of 1929–39 has already mostly faded from memory, even though it began just over 90 years ago. Ask people about the credit crisis of 1772 and few would have the foggiest notion. So I'm not optimistic about the 2008 crash sticking in the nation's memory for another millennium.

If Ireland still exists in 1000 years, given how many leaders are likely to have gone into and out of office, I doubt someone like Cowen and the 2008 recession would even register with most people. How many High Kings of Ireland can most people name from 1000 years ago, beyond say Brian Boru? At best, you could imagine them remembering the likes of De Valera and Collins, the people who fought for independence and who did much to shape the state we live in today.

Cowen was remarkably unpopular in his time, but even 10 years later, he isn't really very well remembered. He'll probably join the ranks of John A. Costello or Liam Cosgrave in a few decades, a lesser known figure that didn't leave much of a legacy.

Also worth considering that in 1000 years time, the idea that the nations of today will still be around is a big assumption. The map of Europe from even a few centuries ago is pretty much unrecognisable, never mind 1000 or 2000 years ago. And if nations rise and fall in the meantime, people that far ahead may not identify or even bother to remember leaders from previous states or empires. How many of us could name the rulers of Burgundy, or the Doges of Venice?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Tastes change. How many people listened to Caruso or Count John McCormack recently? I would guess very few. Maybe John Bowman. And thats only an 80 year span. There will be no evidence of 99% of recorded music in 1000 years. Nobody will be bopping to it, that's for sure.

Tastes change. How many people listened to Caruso or Count John McCormack recently? I would guess very few. Maybe John Bowman. And thats only an 80 year span. There will be no evidence of 99% of recorded music in 1000 years. Nobody will be bopping to it, that's for sure.

But, there will be niche interest, similar to Bach, Beethoven or Wagner. Do you think they'll be forgotten in 800 years time?

Also, what recordings there are of John McCormack would be limited and of poor quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

Freddie Mercury........

I don't think you realise how different the world is now than it was 1000 years ago. How we process and store information and that there is also vastly more people in the world than 1020

Here is a list of 75 people who are still thought about, remembered and written about to this day:
    https://www.thoughtco.com/ancient-people-you-should-know-117290

Agree. I suspect stone carvings will outlive our data storage methods.

Given digitization and modern data storage (which is only likely to improve in capacity and reliability over the coming centuries) it's reasonable to assume that today's recorded music will be preserved. Whether people will still be listening to Lady Gaga or AC/DC in the thirty-first century is another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭LordBasil

Well regarding UK PMs, only a handful from each century will be remembered; 19th Peel, Disraeli, Gladstone
    20th Lloyd George, Churchill, Atlee & Thatcher

Re 2008 Crisis, well maybe not in a 1000 years but the effect politically at least on Ireland will have a long term impact as FFs decline has lead to the emergence of SF as a political force in the Republic. Who knows what will cause going forward.

In a 1000 years maybe there won't be a Britain & Ireland left, we'll be underwater.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,036 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

“Shower of bastards ruined the earth and we are only just getting back on our feet”

Says the fella in 1000 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Given digitization and modern data storage (which is only likely to improve in capacity and reliability over the coming centuries) it's reasonable to assume that today's recorded music will be preserved. Whether people will still be listening to Lady Gaga or AC/DC in the thirty-first century is another story.
    Data storage is coming on in leaps and bounds behind the scenes. They have found a way to store data on small pieces of special glass now.
    This scientist was saying he could get the whole London library on this little piece of glass.

tom1ie wrote: »
    “Shower of bastards ruined the earth and we are only just getting back on our feet”

Says the fella in 1000 years.

You think there will be gender identifying pronouns in 1,000 years? That's a bold prediction. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,036 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

You think there will be gender identifying pronouns in 1,000 years? That's a bold prediction. :D

Lol! Oh yeah there’s me using the original gender tags. Silly me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Harry Ferguson,

LordBasil wrote: »
    Well regarding UK PMs, only a handful from each century will be remembered; 19th Peel, Disraeli, Gladstone
    20th Lloyd George, Churchill, Atlee & Thatcher

I'd be very surprised if any of those is remembered in 1,000 years time. Maybe Churchill at best. The vast majority of people today couldn't tell you a single thing about Clement Attlee, and it's only been 70 years since he was PM. What will they know about him after 700 years?
    Re 2008 Crisis, well maybe not in a 1000 years but the effect politically at least on Ireland will have a long term impact as FFs decline has lead to the emergence of SF as a political force in the Republic. Who knows what will cause going forward.

We're talking here about political parties that have barely been in existence for a century. I don't think it's likely that they'll last another century, let alone a millennium. Hugely popular parties of the nineteeth century have already faded from memory, and the likes of FF and SF will follow suit eventually.

spook_cook wrote: »
    He had a good PR team but tbh you wouldn't even name him with the biggies of the 20th century, never mind a coming millenium.

He's like Vinnie Jones. Did some good, got his name out there but not really known for the actual sport side of things, more as a media person and the sport has long since left his contributions behind.

When it's called spook_cook radiation come back to us :p

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭LordBasil

I'd be very surprised if any of those is remembered in 1,000 years time. Maybe Churchill at best. The vast majority of people today couldn't tell you a single thing about Clement Attlee, and it's only been 70 years since he was PM. What will they know about him after 700 years?

We're talking here about political parties that have barely been in existence for a century. I don't think it's likely that they'll last another century, let alone a millennium. Hugely popular parties of the nineteeth century have already faded from memory, and the likes of FF and SF will follow suit eventually.

Atlee founded the NHS and Welfare State, I think he was quite important in British History. Yes of course political parties rise and fall and SF, FF & FG won't be around in 100s of years but their current popularity or lack of, will be used by future historians to analyse attitudes and aspirations of Irish people ie moving away from materialism during the Celtic Tiger to becoming more pre-occupied of social concerns (Health, Housing/Homelessness) coupled with social liberalisation (Same-Sex Marriage, Repeal the 8th Referendums)

Impossible to predict how the world of 3020 will look like and who or what will be remembered or forgotten. If humanity hasn't destroyed itself there will probably be half the population of humans not even living on the Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Tommy Robinson. And Donald Trump.

Not so sure about the Tommy Robinson one there. He's only memorable to his supporters and to the people he has scammed or assaulted. The fact that he couldn't get elected and that he has disappeared off to Spain wouldn't go in his favour. Perhaps some details about him will be mixed up with details about the football hooligan whose name he has taken and will end up in a database of biographies or The Oxford Dictionary of Grifters.

• Advertisement

They'll be encoding things in DNA in less than 20 years. I mean they already are but I mean as a more day to day thing. Like the average person in their home will have a DNA 'burner'.

I think MLK and Malcom X will still be known to academics.

Advertisement