Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Air Fryer XL £159

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I've had the XXL since December 2018 when it was mispriced by Amazon and a load of us got it for £82.

Lots focus on the size difference but the best things about the XXL are the grease guard in the base and the removable wire rack the food sits on. It makes it far easier to clean. I'd definitely recommend paying the extra for the XXL just for those two things.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭EletricMan

We have the original XL for three years, family of five. I honestly don’t know what we would do without it. It’s used every day, sometimes a couple of times a day. Best kitchen gadget we have ever bought by a mile. They are expensive but for the usage it gets here it’s great value. We have a pantry off the kitchen where it’s kept and used so counter space not an issue.

I’m hoping to get another year out of the one I have and will probably have to upgrade next year, will probably go with the XXL if it’s reduced then.

Some extended family have cheaper alternative versions but they don’t compare to the Philips XL in terms of cooking times and ease of cleaning etc. Maybe some of the newer alternatives are better but I’ll be sticking with what I know.

I'm hoping to put mine in the pantry too, how does it work out with steam smells etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭Barr

Oat23 wrote: »
    I've had the XXL since December 2018 when it was mispriced by Amazon and a load of us got it for £82.

Lots focus on the size difference but the best things about the XXL are the grease guard in the base and the removable wire rack the food sits on. It makes it far easier to clean. I'd definitely recommend paying the extra for the XXL just for those two things.

Whats the wire rack look like that comes with the xxl , is it addtional to the wire basket ?

Is it something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Y2NWO14/ref=emc_b_5_i

Barr wrote: »
    Whats the wire rack look like that comes with the xxl , is it addtional to the wire basket ?

Is it something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Y2NWO14/ref=emc_b_5_i

Sorry meant this. It's what the food sits on in the basket like in the other airfryers. The difference is in the XXL it's held in place with a clip and is easily removable to wash properly. On the other fryers it's attached to the basket and very hard/impossible to remove.

ada6a3156b244b9aa4bfc4c947ed054c.png

Ahh ok , that is handy , much easier than washing the whole basket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

EletricMan wrote: »
    I'm hoping to put mine in the pantry too, how does it work out with steam smells etc?

Not too bad there is a window in there that can be opened I try not to cook fatty foods in it very often. Chicken, sausages etc can will cause a bit of smoke but doable. I tied to do lamb chops in it once and even at very low temp the smoke was horrible. I try to do things like that in the main oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

OmegaGene wrote: »
    lamb chops are divine in 15 minutes in the xxl the trick is to empty the oil while its still warm and keep it fairly clean and the air fryer should never smoke, i cook about 4 chickens a week here and never have an issue with smoke

oven is now retired

Yeah chicken and almost any meat is grand. With the lamb I had to empty the oil a few times or it would smoke / smell, just wasn’t worth the hassle in my opinion.

I wouldn’t say our oven is retired I still prefer roasties from the oven but that’s probably to do with the fact they are swimming on oil!!

Yeah chicken and almost any meat is grand. With the lamb I had to empty the oil a few times or it would smoke / smell, just wasn’t worth the hassle in my opinion.

I wouldn’t say our oven is retired I still prefer roasties from the oven but that’s probably to do with the fact they are swimming on oil!!

I get good results doing roasties by coating them in melted goose fat before they go in and then after 10 minutes cooking I start coating them with more goose fat every 5 minutes using a brush. I prefer the roasties from the airfryer now actually because they always come out crispier than doing them in an oven where they sit in a pool of goose fat for 30-40 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Saying the XXL won't be delivered for 1 to 2 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Did you click buy ?
    When I clicked buy I got a date of the third of December

Yes right up to confirm order saying it will be delivered in Jan 2021, and I have Prime. I'm glad though, because I don't need this :pac:

• Advertisement

EletricMan wrote: »

I always open a window behind mine or turn on the extraction fan.

In saying that mine doesn't get cleaned very often!

Its good to have somewhere the steam can go.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

yeah used correctly the airfryer is very hard to beat its all trial and error at the start, one woam i know filled hers with 4 litres of oil

if only we all got the €80 price mistake last year :D

I remember getting it well, was in bed looking at it on amazon, debating it. So glad I got it. I am never around for those kind of fast deals usually, was so sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

xxl little bigger basket, wider and taller. Don't need to preheat it while you do with the xl,
    I don't believe there is anything special about it that would make it one need preheating and the other not. In the video linked he preheated both (which I think is unnecessary, waste of time & energy unless doing steaks)

They are very similar power, in fact the XL might get up to temperature faster as its smaller.

What I believe has happened is that they have bothered their hole to read actual feedback online and seen people saying preheating is not necessary with any of them and so put this info in as a "new improved feature" with the newer ones in the hope people will upgrade. I do not believe there has been any magnificent breakthrough in energy transfer technology and it's a conjob to deceive laypeople who are prone to believing such huge advancements are possible. (if you know of a legit breakthrough please share)

Even in regular large ovens in more recent years you will see people saying preheating is not necessary -unless doing cakes or pizza in a large oven. You can look up loads of sites doing comparisons or the theory behind it.

I would want larger than the philips XXL. You have to be careful as some are overly large and are really countertop ovens and cashing in on the airfyer buzzword. To me an airfryer is a convection oven with a very fast fan so it heats up quick and cooks quicker. A large countertop oven that was sold in the 80s or 90s with a miserable fan and poor performance could easily be relabelled as a "large aifryer" to cash in. So always check reviews. Maybe the added time is not an issue for you. I would highly value a rotisserie function if it had the timer control too, even if it was much slower to cook.

I remember buying this airfryer. It was recommended on Boards. It gets a fair bit of use, but it's still going strong and, to be honest, it's practically good as new condition-wise.

According to Amazon, I bought it on December 2nd, 2012. Have it nearly 8 years. I love food out of it, especially chips. Can't fault it at all, and only just realised how long I've owned it when I went to check. Think I paid more than the current asking price, but for less than €20 per year, with no maintenance and no repairs needed, it's hard to fault.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah these two are very similar. I wouldn't say you don't need to preheat any, the one in my family home does not cook chips evenly if you don't preheat it (all I have made in it really).

I notice mine goes down as low as 40 degrees, does anybody use that for anything, what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Price back to 300 on the XXL.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭dodzy

I remember buying this airfryer. It was recommended on Boards. It gets a fair bit of use, but it's still going strong and, to be honest, it's practically good as new condition-wise.

According to Amazon, I bought it on December 2nd, 2012. Have it nearly 8 years. I love food out of it, especially chips. Can't fault it at all, and only just realised how long I've owned it when I went to check. Think I paid more than the current asking price, but for less than €20 per year, with no maintenance and no repairs needed, it's hard to fault.
    Excellent bit of kit. I have a used digital (boxed up) in the attic as a spare - currently running 2 x XLs I got for very small money here a few years back. Again, great, but not as solidly put together as the smaller sized one you linked to. I did manage to pick up 2 baskets on philips a while back as replacements, as with the best will in the world and the use they get here, they go to crap after a few years of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

This has changed in the last hour. My order has expected delivery date of Dec 14th

Ordered 28th, arrived this morning 3rd of Dec

Box was bigger than I was expecting

Ordered 28th, arrived this morning 3rd of Dec

Box was bigger than I was expecting

That is good going

My xl is not showing arriving till 11th Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I ordered the XL last Friday around 5pm and it was delivered on Monday. I went with the free delivery option and it was estimated for Dec 12th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I ordered the XL last Friday around 5pm and it was delivered on Monday. I went with the free delivery option and it was estimated for Dec 12th.

Mine was ordered Fri 27th.. Was here Tues 1st :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

jesus 8 years is some going, I have the exact same model for 3 years now and if it lasts that long I'll be very happy as I got it from Argos for 90 quid. Id always presumed 5 or maybe 6 years would be the life cycle of them but if they go to 8-10 years then even better again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Barr wrote: »
    That is good going

My xl is not showing arriving till 11th Dec

I ordered mine on Fri, received it yesterday.

Advertisement