Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Laptop (Oct. 9th)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

Thats good to know at least. I didn't think it _could_ be sold any cheaper than 1400euros but I thought it was worth asking. :)

-Kevin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

it was 1499 euro, but still an excellent price. Got abite worried there awhiel ago, it was being really really slow, uninstalled NIS 2004 and now everything is super fast again

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Do they accept all methods of payment? I'm considering whether to wait for their next deal or buy a dell laptop...

cash or laser that is all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭ozmo

Originally posted by kamobe
    Do they accept all methods of payment? I'm considering whether to wait for their next deal or buy a dell laptop...

Check out Sony. usually cheaper,lighter and generally better than dell, just harder to get. I had two of them so far.

ozmo.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Originally posted by ozmo
    8. Only lasting problem is the psu. Do others notice a faint whine from it. Even when pluged in but not connected to the laptop. I notice its a 100v-220v works-anywhere job; so only solution will probably to use a 110v convertor to step down the voltage a little first. Anyone else experience this??

Yeah they do this, but it's VERY faint - have to hold it to my ear nearly to hear it... or is yours louder?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Check out Sony. usually cheaper,lighter and generally better than dell, just harder to get. I had two of them so far.

I've a few contacts in dell though ;)

Originally posted by Mixie
    Yeah they do this, but it's VERY faint - have to hold it to my ear nearly to hear it... or is yours louder?

Dunno -
    pzttttttpzttttttt. Its loud enough to hear while on the floor. Esp at night. Definitely not silent.

I got a 220v to 110v stepdown transformer yesterday at market for 2 euros - going to try that.

ozmo.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Dunno -
    pzttttttpzttttttt. Its loud enough to hear while on the floor. Esp at night. Definitely not silent.

I got a 220v to 110v stepdown transformer yesterday at market for 2 euros - going to try that.

ozmo.

Let me know how you get on with that. I noticed last night that the PSU causes interference on playback of video onto the TV from the TV-Out. But I only hear the noise if I put my ear to the PSU.

Cal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Liam Nolan

Hi I got one in blanchardstown my psu is silent so yours might be a bit iffy, but when i was reading the manual in the bog I noticed that it took desktop DDR ram so I took the 512 mbs from my desktop and stuck it in (just remove the 3 big screws underneath) and now I have a gig of Ram on the laptopi tried 3dmark 2001 and got a score of 10345 on it
    my only problem is tring to find good 2.4 speed dvd+ disks

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Liam Nolan
    Hi I got one in blanchardstown my psu is silent so yours might be a bit iffy, but when i was reading the manual in the bog I noticed that it took desktop DDR ram so I took the 512 mbs from my desktop and stuck it in (just remove the 3 big screws underneath) and now I have a gig of Ram on the laptopi tried 3dmark 2001 and got a score of 10345 on it
    my only problem is tring to find good 2.4 speed dvd+ disks

Ta Liam, I tried a 110v step down trafo and its silent using that.

But I'm sending it back. Hopefully only have to send back the psu brick - as it buzzes all on its own - somehow I imagine they will want it all :(

dvd+r disks are hard to find at a reasonable price. I got 2 boxes from 7dayshop for 14 sterling per box of 10 disks.free postage. Cheapest I could find - although I remember there is a duplication factory in Baldoyle industrial estate (dublin) that sells blanks really cheap - but I forget their name.

ozmo.

“Roll it back”

Ta Liam, I tried a 110v trafo and its silent using that.

But I'm sending it back. Hopefully only have to send back the trafo - as it buzzes all on its own - somehow I imagine they will want it all :(

dvd+r disks are hard to find at a reasonable price. I got 2 boxes from 7dayshop for 14 sterling per box of 10 disks.free postage. Cheapest I could find - although I remember there is a duplication factory in Baldoyle industrial estate (dublin) that sells blanks really cheap - but I forget their name.

ozmo.

komplett sell them at a very decent price, Liam Nolan, what was that ddr at 266?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Ozmo,

I had one of last years Lidl laptops. After about 7-8 months the power supply started to go iffy just like yours it sounds like.

Had to send the entire machine back to germany as they test the battery to (no cost to me mind you). Got it back within about 2 weeks.

Other option is to buy yourself a second powersupply. I got one from the Uk for about €90.

Reasonably decent aftersales support overall though. No messing at all. Sent courier out to collect it and courier to drop it back to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭popey21

Hows that laptop working and does it have tv out

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

Laptop is going fine for me.
    yes it has TV-OUT. tested it yesterday. works fine. you just turn it on through the ati display driver settings.

Laptop is running great here too.

The TV out can also be activated with Alt+F5

Cal

that's for that shortcut tip Cal :)

Originally posted by Vorrtexx
    that's for that shortcut tip Cal :)

Has anyone managed to get the 5.1 sound out of it?

What kind of cable do you use?

Anyone manage to find a more detailed manual?

Brought it to a lan session instead of a PC & it worked great
    (just added an external Keyboard and mouse)
    Battlefield 1942 runs brilliantly on this machine :)

ozmo.

“Roll it back”

Ozmo,

The 5.1 is only available with the use of a "Fibre Optic Audio Lead " (available from peats). It plugs into the headphone socket.

As for the manual. Nothing more detailed than the paper one that came with it. There is a PDF one for the WLAN card and some CD app available on the recovery disc.

Cal.

yep, it works fine.
    you need an optical cable for it (exactly like that used for a Minidisc, but longer). you can get the cable at peats yes, just make sure you get the headphone jack digital plug for the top of it, so you can put it into the headphone port. I already had one from a soundcard I purchased.

to enable it you just go into the sound properties, click the advanced button under the master volume level control, and check the SPDIF out checkbox and apply.
    you'll know if its enabled if you see a red light being emitted from the headphone port.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Are these things still for sale??

Unfortunately they're not. they were one of those thursday offers about 3 weeks ago, and they pretty much all went that morning. I wouldn't expect to see them come back again for another 6months, as that was the last time they appeared, back in April sometime from what I remember.
    They are a nice laptop, and look well too. nice mix of black and Silver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

ahh juest feckin great... :( now what laptop will i get :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

in lidl blanchardstown today theres a picture of a laptop for 1499 euro.
    i presume its next weeks special since no mention of it in last sundays paper.
    however check it out
    according to legend theres usually only five in each store
    how true i dont know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Originally posted by greenman
    Didn't see it here http://www.lidl.ie/ie/index.nsf/pages/i.home

I have the flyer for the next few weeks - no mention.
    maybe it was an old poster.

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

the poster looked brand new yesterday.

Advertisement