Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should there be a driving licence refresher test?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

PMBC wrote: »
    The insurance industry could be supportive (lol)
    lol indeed P. And pigs might fly. Bad driving may be penalised by them, good driving isn't rewarded.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I was more talking about people above 70. It is a medical fact that your peepers and reaction time gets worse with age. I would recommend a re-test every year over the 76 and re-test every two years from 70 to 76.

Anyway, i agree get rid of roundabouts

:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Graces7 wrote: »
    :confused:

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

atr2002 wrote: »
    Ha ha ha

Especially in deep rural areas....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Wibbs wrote: »
    I would say yes. Taken say every ten years past 40, every five past 60. Though I would agree with others above, Ireland's drivers are not the worst by a long shot and the notion we are smacks a little too much of the usual lack of self confidence in the Irish psyche. We're better than the Spanish on average as one example. Drive a few hours there and you're likely to see a car in a ditch. We also do better in the stats compared to Germany, France, Italy, Greece, Poland, Belgium... Even though our roads themselves outside motorways can be bloody awful in places.

I'm driving for 25 years. Cars, buses and trucks. Only ever involved in two crashes neither of which happened in Ireland or my fault. The standard of driving on the continent is appalling and amusing. You frequently ask yourself did that just happen. Irish drivers by and large are slightly better than their European counterparts despite what threads such as this would try and convey.

• Advertisement

I'm driving for 25 years. Cars, buses and trucks. Only ever involved in two crashes neither of which happened in Ireland or my fault. The standard of driving on the continent is appalling and amusing. You frequently ask yourself did that just happen. Irish drivers by and large are slightly better than their European counterparts despite what threads such as this would try and convey.

This backs up your point i suppose

https://etsc.eu/euroadsafetydata/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

MOD Moved to Motors as its more appropriate in there, please take note of local charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

I disagree with having to re do a full theory test again. You would need more theory test centres and the waiting times would increase a lot. If convicted of any driving offence, then yes, they will need to do a test but no need for everyone to do it again.
    The point about dash cams is good, make them mandatory but should be built into cars from manufacturers (without GPS as i dont want them know my location all the time, google knows enough :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

This backs up your point i suppose

https://etsc.eu/euroadsafetydata/

I have friends in the UK that make the same claim about appalling UK drivers,as made here about here Irish drivers. The stats don't bear out the claims based on your graph.
    My comment was based on my experience driving in mainland Europe. There is a very strange desire in Irish people to belittle their countryman on a wide range of topics, something I can't say I have noticed widespread elsewhere . Maybe the UK to a degree but they are 4 different countries and regional differences.

I have friends in the UK that make the same claim about appalling UK drivers,as made here about here Irish drivers. The stats don't bear out the claims based on your graph.
    My comment was based on my experience driving in mainland Europe. There is a very strange desire in Irish people to belittle their countryman on a wide range of topics, something I can't say I have noticed widespread elsewhere . Maybe the UK to a degree but they are 4 different countries and regional differences.

I have driven a small amount in England, around the berkshire area where there a roundabout it seems every half mile and i found their road compliance to be quite good. Maybe because of said roundabouts, but i'm sure people gripe about same frustrations that we do over here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,209 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I have driven a small amount in England, around the berkshire area where there a roundabout it seems every half mile and i found their road compliance to be quite good. Maybe because of said roundabouts, but i'm sure people gripe about same frustrations that we do over here

they certainly do lane discipline on motorways better than we do.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

they certainly do lane discipline on motorways better than we do.

I've seen UK motorway police enforce lane discipline, I've only ever seen Garda sit in the furthest overtaking lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I agree. This thread pops up every few months. Standard is atrocious. Especially use of indicators at roundabouts, driving too slow, bad parking etc etc.

Without trying to generalise, old people shouldn't be let near the wheel of a car. You have your bus pass. Use it

Bus pass is useless when there's no bus service in the area.
    Not a licence refresher but maybe a full medical every time it's due renewal

You mean like it is at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I disagree with having to re do a full theory test again. You would need more theory test centres and the waiting times would increase a lot. If convicted of any driving offence, then yes, they will need to do a test but no need for everyone to do it again.
    The point about dash cams is good, make them mandatory but should be built into cars from manufacturers (without GPS as i dont want them know my location all the time, google knows enough :) )

Theory testing can be done in various ways. Have it down at the school on a Saturday, no need for new centres.

Theory testing every 10 years seems very reasonable and the authorities screwed up when the new licences were introduced and people had to go to NDLS centres that this was not required.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

I agree. This thread pops up every few months. Standard is atrocious. Especially use of indicators at roundabouts, driving too slow, bad parking etc etc.

Without trying to generalise, old people shouldn't be let near the wheel of a car. You have your bus pass. Use it

I have a bus pass...no buses though.

It seems to me it's young people and middle aged women the worst drivers. Too impatient in the first instance and incompetent in the second.

I'm not sure what a second test would achieve, if you've been driving ten years you surely know how to control a car. a proper (State) Medical now might be another matter. There are indeed a good few older drivers on the road who shouldn't be, signed off by their doctor's as medically OK.

Isambard wrote: »
    I have a bus pass...no buses though.

It seems to me it's young people and middle aged women the worst drivers. Too impatient in the first instance and incompetent in the second.

I'm not sure what a second test would achieve, if you've been driving ten years you surely know how to control a car. a proper (State) Medical now might be another matter. There are indeed a good few older drivers on the road who shouldn't be, signed off by their doctor's as medically OK.

who drive high end cars. Epitomy of "i don't give two fcuks about road etiquette"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,328 ✭✭✭jmreire

If you really wanted a comparison. you would find Russian very educational, and try taking a truck and trailer through Istanbul some time for the auld bit of excitement. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... when I collided with a cow around this time of year at 6.30 pm and he happened to be in the middle of the road....
    He??

Sweet Jesus. How could you think a cow was male?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

He??

Sweet Jesus. How could you think a cow was male?

it's the hormones theyn feed them with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Half an hour in Rome is worse than 20 years in Ireland.

This poster speaks the truth

Never was I more scared using a pedestrian crossing than the city of Rome :eek:
    only had one accident when I collided with a cow around this time of year at 6.30 pm and he happened to be in the middle of the road.

Don't leave us hanging

Was the cow alright?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

No refresher test. I have enough on my plate without more bother from the powers that be. Just let people alone. Fcuk sake

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

No refresher test. I have enough on my plate without more bother from the powers that be. Just let people alone. Fcuk sake

The problem as I see it is that many drivers on Irish roads have not done a test at all never mind a refresher.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,328 ✭✭✭jmreire

Exactly !! If a driver breaks the law / rules etc. then based on the transgression , take the appropriate action... be that a re-test, medical etc. But we don't need another level of officialdom on top of everything else the driver has to conform to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

The problem as I see it is that many drivers on Irish roads have not done a test at all never mind a refresher.

How many?

wonski wrote: »
    How many?

The breakdown of numbers shows that there are 124,370 people currently using their first provisional licence, 53,027 on their second, 15,448 on their third, 12,899 on their fourth, and a whopping 36,814 on their fifth or higher provisional.Apr 25, 2018. Irish Times.

That enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

I don't think there is the too bad of a standard in Ireland amongst most people. However i think that the more powerful the car the worse the driver on average. Audi and BMW drivers are stereotypes for a reason.

I think the power of their cars breeds over confidence and with that comes a propensity to take more risks. I think they become used to the idea that speed will get them out of trouble in other words.

I would love to know the make of car involved in most accidents in Ireland. Perhaps someone would enlighten me

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Something like every 10 years. Nothing mad, just to see if you understand the rules of the road properly. The standard of driving out there is absolutely horrendous. No indicators, wrong lanes, no ideas at roundabouts, no mirrors, tailgating, full beams on in Broad daylight, no lights on in pitch darkness, driving around in fog or heavy rain with just drls on. Just some of the the stuff I've witnessed. If you're driving around in a 2 tonne metal box you should know how to drive it properly.

Whilst an interesting suggestion, given the utterly appalling backlog on current first license driving test, it would be a decade before the incompetent RSA got around to introducing implementing such a concept, and this after an uproar from existing license holders. I'd doubt there's a single current politician would touch such an idea, even with the longest barge pole.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

The breakdown of numbers shows that there are 124,370 people currently using their first provisional licence, 53,027 on their second, 15,448 on their third, 12,899 on their fourth, and a whopping 36,814 on their fifth or higher provisional.Apr 25, 2018.

That enough?

Are they all driving on their own, though?

How many people have no license at all?

A million?

Many have provisional licences issued but not even using it.

A million?

No matter which way you look at it there’s far too many unqualified drivers on our roads. Some who have repeat Provisional Licences and who never intend to do a test.
    Shouldn’t be allowed to happen imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

A million?

I see latest figures for cars siezed from unaccompanied drivers was 5,000 last year, nice little earner. It got me thinking if every car being driven by unaccompanied drivers was detected, Ireland would have the largest car pound in the world.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement