Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Means tested JSA payment

Options
  • 05-09-2020 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi I was made redundant at the end of last year so made my jobseekers allowance claim at the time I was 24 and my parents income was assessed to see how much I'd be entitled to it came back that I'd receive 102 a week with 6 euro deductions which brought it to €96 a week which was fine. But since turning 25 a few months ago my payments are still the same with deductions each week surely this can't be right I was under the impression that once you turn 25 your parent's income doesn't have to be taken into account I'd appreciate if anyone could correct me or give any advice on the matter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

DD1518 wrote: »
    Hi I was made redundant at the end of last year so made my jobseekers allowance claim at the time I was 24 and my parents income was assessed to see how much I'd be entitled to it came back that I'd receive 102 a week with 6 euro deductions which brought it to €96 a week which was fine. But since turning 25 a few months ago my payments are still the same with deductions each week surely this can't be right I was under the impression that once you turn 25 your parent's income doesn't have to be taken into account I'd appreciate if anyone could correct me or give any advice on the matter.

You should now be getting the full €203 as far as I see it. Contact them directly, it's a busy time for them they are snowed under with Covid payments etc so it's probably not been followed up on their part yet. Perhaps you have to make a new application since turning 25.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭hawthorne

Call into your SW office and ask about this.
    To my knowledge your parents income is not taken into account anymore as soon as you turn 25.
    They might have overlooked this due to the Corona thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DD1518

hawthorne wrote: »
    Call into your SW office and ask about this.
    To my knowledge your parents income is not taken into account anymore as soon as you turn 25.
    They might have overlooked this due to the Corona thing.

Thanks for the response. I was thinking it's strange if that is the case will I get backdated to the date I turned 25 or what ? Why at 25 is your means not assessed anymore and if so will i recieve full rate of 203 without any deductions.

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    You should now be getting the full €203 as far as I see it. Contact them directly, it's a busy time for them they are snowed under with Covid payments etc so it's probably not been followed up on their part yet. Perhaps you have to make a new application since turning 25.

Good luck

Thanks for the response. Yeah I found it quiet strange and only really noticed it when I looked up different rates of pay and seen the rate is 203 pw for anyone 25 and over. Any idea why things change at 25 and parents means aren't taken into account?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Thanks for the response. Yeah I found it quiet strange and only really noticed it when I looked up different rates of pay and seen the rate is 203 pw for anyone 25 and over. Any idea why things change at 25 and parents means aren't taken into account?

It's just an arbitrary age they set. Nothing more.

It used to be 23 or 24 a few years ago (pre-last recession) as I recall but was bumped up to 25 due to the so many young people signing on due to mass unemployment.

Personally I think they set it to 25 so the new university graduates/school leavers don't just aimlessly choose to sign on and get the full €203 straight out of school haha. Which works

• Advertisement

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    It's just an arbitrary age they set. Nothing more.

It used to be 23 or 24 a few years ago (pre-last recession) as I recall but was bumped up to 25 due to the so many young people signing on due to mass unemployment.

Personally I think they set it to 25 so the new university graduates/school leavers don't just aimlessly choose to sign on and get the full €203 straight out of school haha. Which works

Makes sense when you put it that way so theoretically someone's parents could be loaded but as long as the person signing on has no assets or cash in they're name they can receive the full rate jsa ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Thanks for the response. I was thinking it's strange if that is the case will I get backdated to the date I turned 25 or what ? Why at 25 is your means not assessed anymore and if so will i recieve full rate of 203 without any deductions.

Your means are continued to be tested regardless of age however once you turn 25, parents income not considered in means test. I'm quite surprised the payment did not increase automatically as SW systems quite automated with regards to such situations etc.

Useful link here https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/means_test_for_social_welfare_payments/how_parents_income_can_affect_jobseekers_allowance.html

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Your means are continued to be tested regardless of age however once you turn 25, parents income not considered in means test. I'm quite surprised the payment did not increase automatically as SW systems quite automated with regards to such situations etc.

Useful link here https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/means_test_for_social_welfare_payments/how_parents_income_can_affect_jobseekers_allowance.html

Will definitely call into the local office tomorrow would it be the case that I have to be reassessed now that I'm 25 with minimal savings I'd still qualify?

Will definitely call into the local office tomorrow would it be the case that I have to be reassessed now that I'm 25 with minimal savings I'd still qualify?

You'll be reasssed but don't worry, your parents income aside you should get the base rate €203, I would also enquire about payment being back dated to your birth date. Bring as much info with you, ID, proof of address, recent bank statement etc, speeds up process etc. Good luck

You'll be reasssed but don't worry, your parents income aside you should get the base rate €203, I would also enquire about payment being back dated to your birth date. Bring as much info with you, ID, proof of address, recent bank statement etc, speeds up process etc. Good luck

So it's just me that's assessed now not anyone else living here in the house.

• Advertisement

So it's just me that's assessed now not anyone else living here in the house.

No other person assessed, your parents income etc no longer relevant as long as your single, living at home and have no dependents etc

No other person assessed, your parents income etc no longer relevant as long as your single, living at home and have no dependents etc

Thanks for the advice hopefully I get it sorted surely they will have to get backpay also

Thanks for the advice hopefully I get it sorted surely they will have to get backpay also

How long ago did you turn 25? I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be back dated but ultimately that's a decision for the department.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Actually this has come up previously it actually might not change until you turn 26

How long ago did you turn 25? I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be back dated but ultimately that's a decision for the department.

At the start of March.

At the start of March.

Hmmm, almost six months, just re previous post and not getting increased payment until 26, I'd not heard about this, I've not seen any information other than being under 25, so I can only go on what current information is available, get cracking tomorrow, fingers crossed it will be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Hmmm, almost six months, just re previous post and not getting increased payment until 26, I'd not heard about this,

Hang around this forum for more than a few posts it comes up

Gatling wrote: »
    Hang around this forum for more than a few posts it comes up

My intention was not to doubt your assertion, just to say I'd not heard of an issue re being 26 before and confirm what information was to hand at present, not at all sure why this would encourage such a snotty and unhelpful response. I don't require any guidence on what forums I contribute too, particularly given the 10 years I've been contributing to this platform. Apologies if you were offended, that was not my intention, I suggest you actually read the post more diligently, that seems to have upset you.

Called into Swo office this morning had to write a letter with all my details and query my payment and how deductions and personal rate are made up. The woman working reckoned I'm entitled to full rate and should be backdated when it's sent off to the main office.

Called into Swo office this morning had to write a letter with all my details and query my payment and how deductions and personal rate are made up. The woman working reckoned I'm entitled to full rate and should be backdated when it's sent off to the main office.

Excellent, well done and fingers crossed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭square ball

Previously there was a different reduced rate when you turned 25 until you turned 26 and this was removed in the last budget. So now once you hit 25 your parents means are no longer accessable so you should be entitled to €203 less any capital or means from employment if you have any.

You should be entitled to the difference from the date you turned 25 until the correct rate is paid.

Previously there was a different reduced rate when you turned 25 until you turned 26 and this was removed in the last budget. So now once you hit 25 your parents means are no longer accessable so you should be entitled to €203 less any capital or means from employment if you have any.

You should be entitled to the difference from the date you turned 25 until the correct rate is paid.

Very helpful and good to know, appreciated

Got word during the week that I was to be backdated for this period and received a substantial pay out this morning via cheque nice boost to get before Christmas with all going on at the min. Would be great to get back into full time work in the new year fingers crossed.

Got word during the week that I was to be backdated for this period and received a substantial pay out this morning via cheque nice boost to get before Christmas with all going on at the min. Would be great to get back into full time work in the new year fingers crossed.

Well done, it will make Christmas a little easier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

You were made redundant?
    How many years did you work?

I’m surprised you didn’t qualify/apply for JSB which is based on your stamps/contributions.
    JSB is not means tested at all.

Advertisement