Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will New Gov Job know -I am double jobbing?

Options
  • 01-12-2020 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Hi All,

Been working 2 jobs for the last 3 years:
      Job A - full time 9-5 monday to friday - working remotely atm Job B - 2 evening a week and a odd Sat - working remotely atm

Just got accepted Job C - Govement job mostly based remotely, but will require me to be onsite 2-3 days a week at the start.

So can the govement job know if I have extra jobs all pay is taxed and through PRSI.

Will the gov job have access to the PRSI or Renevue ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I think it’s technically not allowed but unless it’s in a very similar role where there’d be a conflict of interest they generally don’t care.

My brother is saving for a mortgage and took up a weekend job in a hotel (pre covid) to earn extra money and nobody ever said anything to him. I have another friend who teaches drama evenings and weekends and it’s never negatively effected her either.

It’ll all depend on what kind of gov role you are in and what the side job is though. For example, if you are being hired in some sort of IT security capacity I can’t imagine them being happy with you doing very similar work on the side for another company.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I think it’s technically not allowed but unless it’s in a very similar role where there’d be a conflict of interest they generally don’t care.

My brother is saving for a mortgage and took up a weekend job in a hotel (pre covid) to earn extra money and nobody ever said anything to him. I have another friend who teaches drama evenings and weekends and it’s never negatively effected her either.

It’ll all depend on what kind of gov role you are in and what the side job is though. For example, if you are being hired in some sort of IT security capacity I can’t imagine them being happy with you doing very similar work on the side for another company.

Have been two the two jobs like I mentioned for 3 years never a problem with the employers, But worried the government role would have access to revenue records if I was double jobbing. Wouldnt like to bring it up while still on probation with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ByTheSea2019

Are you planning on trying to do two jobs during the same hours on the basis that they're both remote?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭impega1

Gov Job will not know that you have additional jobs

Revenue will know, however this information will not be disclosed to your new Government Employer (even if Revenue is your new Employer)

Revenue will issue your new employer with a RPN (tax cert) - once loaded to their payroll package then the payroll package will calculate your tax liability.

For majority of all Government organisations (exception being some semi state or smaller bodies) pay is processed by either MyPay (Local Government) of PSS (Civil Service, Garda, Military and Judiciary), so it will be these organisations that will handle your tax cert and not your actual employer.

So again, no your Government Employer will not know you have additional employments, however you should check your contract to see if there is a conflict of interests or if your contract states you cannot have other employments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

impega1 wrote: »
    Gov Job will not know that you have additional jobs

Revenue will know, however this information will not be disclosed to your new Government Employer (even if Revenue is your new Employer)

Revenue will issue your new employer with a RPN (tax cert) - once loaded to their payroll package then the payroll package will calculate your tax liability.

For majority of all Government organisations (exception being some semi state or smaller bodies) pay is processed by either MyPay (Local Government) of PSS (Civil Service, Garda, Military and Judiciary), so it will be these organisations that will handle your tax cert and not your actual employer.

So again, no your Government Employer will not know you have additional employments, however you should check your contract to see if there is a conflict of interests or if your contract states you cannot have other employments

Many thanks for taking the time to write this with such info, asked a few people before turning to boards and none could give such a detailed answer.

Planning on doing contracting work for my current employer (subject to them saying Yes) working evening or weekends. Current job gives me access to alot of software and systems that other roles wouldnt

Doing my Gov job Monday to Friday 9-5

Just need to ask my current job about contracting or changing my contract.

• Advertisement
Advertisement