Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oak counter top sealing

Options
  • 21-09-2020 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Ihi I got a new kitchen in and we went with a Oak counter top. I've noticed that it stanes easily (it was oiled) so I'm looking for advice or something long lasting I could use on it. Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You have to sand it and oil it, and top the oil up regular to protect it. This is the risk with a natural finish. It needs regular maintenance. Im talking about topping the oil up maybe once every few months.

OR

You can skip the natural finish and varnish it with any varnish of your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I used Rustins oil on last kitchen and oddly enough if you left something like a Stanley blade on the counter it would turn the area underneath it black.

Think the oil is food safe which is probably the best reason to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I used Rustins oil on last kitchen and oddly enough if you left something like a Stanley blade on the counter it would turn the area underneath it black.

Think the oil is food safe which is probably the best reason to use it.

Oak turns black when moisture and metal comes together. e.g a nail in the oak will turn all surrounding area black as it attacks the wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

We use the Ronseal anti bacterial oil, first two weeks we oiled it every 3 days, then we oiled it weekly for 2 months, now we haven't done it in a few months.

You learn to live with its a natural product (and thats what we wanted) and the marks or stains but they come and go over time and you don't notice after a while.

Advertisement