Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese Knotweed - how to kill?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

<MOD SNIP>

Try not to post when you're annoyed. Take a moment to cool down first

And what did you break down the rest with?

If any fragments, even the tiniest bit, got on your shoes or clothing it could start a whole new infestation if it got transferred to be soil.

Have you any idea what damage you may have caused?

I'd suggest you find whatever tool you used, wrap it well with plastic and burn it in a hot fire. And your clothes and shoes you were wearing that day, boil them for an hour or else burn.

You can't take the risk of contaminating another area, however small the risk is (and it's not a small risk, it's SERIOUS) because this stuff is hell.

If people keep doing stupid stuff like this the country will be absolutely destroyed in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Id be more concerned about where he put the bits he pulled away! A recipe for another infestation! When will we run adverts on bloody TV to tell ppl to not pull the stuff???

Yeah I'll try to find out. In this situation, if it's lying in their brown bin, is there something they can or should do with it?

Also, again, does anyone know if those roots are likely to produce another growth this season now that they've been antagonised?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Mousewar wrote: »
    Yeah I'll try to find out. In this situation, if it's lying in their brown bin, is there something they can or should do with it?

Also, again, does anyone know if those roots are likely to produce another growth this season now that they've been antagonised?
    The danger is when you stress the plant early some of the root system will go dormant and can randomly start to regrow over a number of years. The dormant roots won't receive any herbicide if applied

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Curious how successful would a bonfire be for small to medium infestation?

Completely unsuccessful.

It will burn off the stalks no problem but it will leave the roots more or less untouched.

The sooner people stop trying out hare brained methods of dealing with JK and start using proper tried and proven methods then the better chance we have of keeping JK in check nationwide.

With any non-proven method of treatment of JK you have to take a precautionary approach and assume it will only make the infestation worse rather than better because every time you go near or touch JK you run a very real risk of unwittingly picking up some of the debris and spreading the infestation to a new area.

Unless you are spraying it in the proper manner you shouldn't even be approaching or touching the affected area.

******If you don't know what you are doing, don't do it and then call a competent professional to deal with it.******

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Actually I did the bonfire thing... I sprayed the plants off with round up in autumn... And then bonfired the stalks and stools in early spring, then resprayed the regrowth summer and and autumn... Seemed to do well...but it was a reasonably small patch.. Mostly on my former neighbours side of the ditch...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

Roundup in September worked for me
    98% success rate in the few patches I have.
    Unfortunately it is on both banks of the local stream and spreading every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

It just goes to show how delicately balanced our ecosystem is. What is it, only a shrub from another country?

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

In the very centre of Cavan town today.
    This clump got beaten down into the river the other night In the wind.
    I set out to spray it several times last Autumn, but it was always raining.
    Council oblivious to it, despite emails pointing out all the growths around town.

I'll spray it this autumn no matter what.

LCQJGAi.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    9In the very centre of Cavan town today.
    This clump got beaten down inti the river the other night In the wind.
    I set out to spray it several times last Autumn, but it was always raining.
    Council oblivious to it, despite emails pointing out all the growths around town.

I'll spray it this autumn no matter what.

If you can be bothered getting on to them again point out that they are causing it to spread leaving it to grow in the river like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

That's mad. You'd wonder how it got there in the first place if it doesen't seed. Shows how dangerous it is. Next thing it'll be in the river breaking up to land on some lake shore. I think I'd send them an email (paper trail) and copy it to Parks and Widlife

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Farmer wrote: »
    That's mad. You'd wonder how it got there in the first place if it doesen't seed. Shows how dangerous it is. Next thing it'll be in the river breaking up to land on some lake shore. I think I'd send them an email (paper trail) and copy it to Parks and Widlife

Criminal neglect on the part of the Council!! Jeez, that annoys me.. And every tiny piece that might have broken off will have gone downstream and is propagating itself by now. Disgraceful neglect by them..

Farmer wrote: »

The river would be much higher in winter, so I suppose a piece floated down some time and rooted.

If you are getting on to them, that's the Kinnypottle river, along the Bridge Street car park.
    Huge infestation up stream 200 yards away at the gates of The Royal School.

Despite their official website having contact details where you can report J.K. They don't do anything.

The twits would probably send a team out to cut it away if you contact them at the moment .......

I'd be taking photos of all of it and speak with local newspaper(s).

This is really serious and local authority complacency is simply outrageous!!

Also contact local fishing clubs to get support..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Good loser

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Id be more concerned about where he put the bits he pulled away! A recipe for another infestation! When will we run adverts on bloody TV to tell ppl to not pull the stuff???

Left them where they were, just pulled them out of the ground. Roots have dried in the air.

People losing the run of themselves about this plant. I notice it takes years to spread any distance - except where Co Co intervenes.

Good loser wrote: »
    Left them where they were, just pulled them out of the ground. Roots have dried in the air.

People losing the run of themselves about this plant. I notice it takes years to spread any distance - except where Co Co intervenes.

Jesus wept!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭DX85

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

DX85 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Photograph it and email it to the coco.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

When you think aout it, hedge cutting by contractors will spread it like wildfire. Even when they move to a new location, they will be carrying fragments with them on the cutter.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭waxmoth

Japanese Knotweed is naturalised and the current policy of trying to control by spraying is futile and causing much more environmental damage than the plant itself.
    It really only thrives in disturbed ground and does not compete well when shaded - one method of containing it is to put down a ground cover fabric and plant willow through it.

On the plus side it is a very good late season source of nectar for insects and the root is the main commercial source of resveratrol which retails here at around € 2700/Kg.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Thanks waxmoth but I prefer to get mine from red wine;)
    https://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/resveratrol.html

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

waxmoth wrote: »
    ..... On the plus side it is a very good late season source of nectar for insects and the root is the main commercial source of resveratrol which retails here at around € 2700/Kg.

€2700/kg....How does it spread? :cool:

Japanese Knotweed is naturalised and the current policy of trying to control by spraying is futile and causing much more environmental damage than the plant itself.
    It really only thrives in disturbed ground and does not compete well when shaded - one method of containing it is to put down a ground cover fabric and plant willow through it.

On the plus side it is a very good late season source of nectar for insects and the root is the main commercial source of resveratrol which retails here at around € 2700/Kg.

Have you planted any yourself?
    In your garden perhaps, along the wall of your house?

Wouldn't think so.

It's still controllable up in our area anyway, the recession came just in time.
    The halt in building and groundworks stalled a lot of its colonization.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The spraying doesn't cause much if any environmental damage because just about nothing in this country is adapted to live under Japanese Knotweed.

Spraying JK doesn't damage endangered wild flowers for example because the JK has already wiped them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It just goes to show how delicately balanced our ecosystem is. What is it, only a shrub from another country?
    In its home country it grows on the side of volcanoesin hostile ground so it curtailed. In rich soil it flourishes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

In our estate I've established that the problem is the owner of the house (he's not the occupier). It was him that came along one day and just yanked out one of the stalks despite knowing exactly what it was. He also said he's seen the stuff before and sprayed it last year but as he had no idea about the Aug/Sept rule I doubt he sprayed at the right time. The council are due out in August - I've spread the word to leave it completely alone until then. Hopefully they'll listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭waxmoth

my3cents wrote: »
    The spraying doesn't cause much if any environmental damage because just about nothing in this country is adapted to live under Japanese Knotweed.

Spraying JK doesn't damage endangered wild flowers for example because the JK has already wiped them out.

There will be environmental damage directly and from residues and runoff if the intention is to control all roadside stands this way. As it is not effective, and the complete stand may not be sprayed, continuous treatments will be required and the area will be increasing all the time.
    ted1 wrote: »
    In its home country it grows on the side of volcanoesin hostile ground so it curtailed. In rich soil it flourishes

And apparently the saying there is "Knotweed outlives the gardener and the garden"

€2700/kg....How does it spread? :cool:

well unless commercial enterprises set up to exploit the knotweed for the profit in it's roots then it doesn't make much difference what is in them.

It's a scourge.

Slightly off topic but I was up the Vee on the knockmealdown mountains recently as have family up that way and I see that rhododendron is running through the area like wildfire. It's been there many many years and has a whole mountainside covered and any native ecology is absolutely wiped out. Nothing can survive in a rhodo area except rhodo becuase it is so dense and there;s something secreted by it's roots that sterilises the soil.
    But now I'm seeing it pop up in areas that were previously free.

It is another absolute travesty that will destroy our countryside and no-one seems to give a crap or do anything about it. Even in the national park in Killarney there is only a half arse effort made to control it.

They should get the army out to do work to control it and beat it. At least that way the army would be doing something useful rather than sitting on their holes in barracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

+1 on the rhodo.
    It needs a national programme and an education plan as well. (Many people think they're lovely and why would you dig them up!)

It's very difficult to control especially if the seeds are blowing into you from an area that you have no control over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Sorry for the ignorance but why is it so bad?

To thine own self be true

Advertisement