Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ridiculously Epic and Dramatic Intro Music for my Show

• 05-03-2009 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

I am performing a psychological illusion show in three weeks (see magic and illusion boards for details!) and need epic and dramatic intro music. The sort of stuff I'm looking at is:
    • O Fortuna
    • Requiem for a Dream Theme
    • Dies Irae (Karl whatshisname, songs of sancturary guy)
    • Promontory
    That sort of thing. Can anyone suggest some other pieces to look into? The person who suggests the one I use gets credited as musical director on the program that I won't ever make!

NOTE: I have dismissed a few things for having such abstract qualities as "Too much hope" and "not enough bass" so it's gotta be deep, dark and brooding!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

??? wrote: »
    I am performing a psychological illusion show in three weeks (see magic and illusion boards for details!) and need epic and dramatic intro music. The sort of stuff I'm looking at is:
    • O Fortuna
    • Requiem for a Dream Theme
    • Dies Irae (Karl whatshisname, songs of sancturary guy)
    • Promontory
    That sort of thing. Can anyone suggest some other pieces to look into? The person who suggests the one I use gets credited as musical director on the program that I won't ever make!

NOTE: I have dismissed a few things for having such abstract qualities as "Too much hope" and "not enough bass" so it's gotta be deep, dark and brooding!

For starters:
    Verdi - Dies Irae from theRequiem
    Mussorgsky - A Night on Bare Mountain
    Shostakovich - Symphony 5, last movement (beginning).
    Bruckner Symphony 9, 2nd movement
    Bach - Toccata in d minor for organ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Handel - Arrival of the Queen of Sheba

(heh)

banquo wrote: »
    Handel - Arrival of the Queen of Sheba

(heh)

Terrifying stuff! As laden with doom and foreboding as, well, an episode of The Antiques Roadshow :eek: (on which note, I advise you see this).

Back to portentousness, Holst's Planets Suite has plenty to offer: have a listen to Saturn and Uranus (serendipitously subtitled 'the Magician'), and especially Mars for its unremitting grimness. Everyone knows Wagner's Ride of the Valkryies (from its appearance as musical napalm in Apocalypse Now), but less so his Flying Dutchman overture, which kicks off quite well. Oh, and of course there's Prokofiev's Knights' Dance from Romeo & Juliet - though I think Alan Sugar may have killed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Xabs

The Lacrimosa from Mozart's Requiem...?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Xabs wrote: »
    The Lacrimosa from Mozart's Requiem...?
    I wouldn't call the Lacrimosa dramatic. I think it's really more of a haunting piece. The Dies Irae in the same piece though is pretty dramatic, though possibly not as dramatic as Verdi's.

• Advertisement

I think Mozart's probably at his most ominous at the start of the Don Giovanni overture, though he still achieves the effect in a very restrained way.

The Lacrimosa is interesting. Have a listen and you can hear very clearly where Mozart left off, eight bars in. The movement starts with 'lacrimosa' (mournful) sung to a kind of sighing theme. Then there's a great ascending scale where the choir sing of 'guilty man rising from the dust to be judged', the music ultimately falling back on the second syllable of 'reus' (guilty). Immediately after, Sussmayr takes over the writing, but - unlike Mozart's - his music meanders along with the words smeared all over it. Makes you realise why Mozart was so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Hi. I'd suggest these songs, they seem to be what you're looking for and they're very short:

'Adyta: The Neverending Embrace - Prelude'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XOcGOl9J8Y

'Indigo'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65D6TeLGJwY

They're fairly dramatic orchestral pieces by the symphonic metal band Epica as intro tracks to their albums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Another +1 for Mars, the Bringer of War by Holst

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Scriabin's Prometheus, of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

:-)

Prokofiev Montagues and Capulets from his ballet Romeo and Juliet!!!!

Hey where is the show??? Sounds interesting if ever you need a gorgeous assistant pm me MY DREAM JOB!!:P:P:P:P:P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFl__HHqSuc&feature=related

The one is above is just with piano and this one is full orchestra
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUmq1cpcglQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭Marvinthefish

Dvorak's New World Symphony, 4th movement (for about the first minute) may be what you're looking for. Here's the Vienna Philharmonic & Herbert von Karajan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Part - Cantus in Memorium of Benjamin Britten
    Stravinsky - Finale from The Firebird (May fall under 'too much hope', but will definitely make up for it under 'ridiculously epic')
    Stravinsky - Lullaby from The Firebird (Maybe more suitably 'dark')

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heggy

How has no one mentioned this yet?

Perhaps a little too much hope, but come on. :D

Or Beethoven's 5th Symphony?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

The marching cresento from 1st movement of the Leningrad symphony by Shostakovich. It starts off like a nice sweet tune but over 10 minutes morphs into an aggressively dark war machine.

For something shorter, try The Hut on Fowl's legs/Baba Yaga from Pictures at an exhibition by Mussorgksi. In fact they're a few tunes from Pictures at an exhibition that are dark, Catacombs and Schmuyle.

Advertisement