Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USS Enterprise visit!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Yup, looks that way. Locals are delighted, the Russian crew are not fond of keeping cash in their pockets, and have spent more locally than any of the visiting Cruise Liners.

There's an early start for me tmrw too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Enjoy the spin, watch where you park. Local warden is a Nazi.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

I watched it leave the port from my school in Sutton today. I was very jealous, it looked glorious out there in the sun.

It looks just as amazing from a distance as it does from up close.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭iopener

i've never seen so much security for a visit naval ship in the port, at the road check point there was a port security guard,a garda and a marine/sailor 24 hr a day,in the river there was 2 garda boats and 2 naval services ribs,the naval services had 2 lads with styers in each boat.around the ship there was containers to stop any bomb blasts and a ring of 'knacker blocks' with a chicane to stop any direct attacks.all those lucky enough to win a tour of the ship were to assemble in a yard about 300 metres away where they boarded a coach,they got scanned with a metal detector wand and weren't allowed to bring any baggage aboard the ship.serious security for a welcoming port.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

iopener wrote: »
    i've never seen so much security for a visit naval ship in the port, at the road check point there was a port security guard,a garda and a marine/sailor 24 hr a day,in the river there was 2 garda boats and 2 naval services ribs,the naval services had 2 lads with styers in each boat.around the ship there was containers to stop any bomb blasts and a ring of 'knacker blocks' with a chicane to stop any direct attacks.all those lucky enough to win a tour of the ship were to assemble in a yard about 300 metres away where they boarded a coach,they got scanned with a metal detector wand and weren't allowed to bring any baggage aboard the ship.serious security for a welcoming port.
    US naval vessels are a serious target for terrorists while in port even here in little old ireland ya can't let your guard down!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement