Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help identifying electronics part on Nikon lens

Options
  • 26-01-2012 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

I recently managed to break a wire on my Nikon Nikkor AF 70-300mm G Lens.

I can repair it myself, if I can identify the small wire part that I need. There is a small bit of soldering to be done. It has 5 contact points on each end, and the overall length is about 1 and a half inches.

Can anyone tell me what this wire is called? It was referred to as a 'ground wire' on certain websites, could someone give me a proper part name and, ideally, somewhere I could find a replacement piece? I'm sure these things are a few cents a piece, the Nikon website wanted 38 GBP!

Any help greatly appreciated...

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I don't think it's possible to repair flexible links like that so you will need the part

the bad news is that it's specfic to Nikon

if you have the nikon part number search for it , on google / ebay

also the film is very thin, if your iron is too hot it will melt it, practice on scrap first

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Can anyone tell me what this wire is called? It was referred to as a 'ground wire' on certain websites, could someone give me a proper part name and, ideally, somewhere I could find a replacement piece? I'm sure these things are a few cents a piece, the Nikon website wanted 38 GBP!

Any help greatly appreciated...

If Nikon just want 38 quid, be grateful and pay the honourable camera manufacturers.

These things are usually really fiddly to fix by hand. If Nikon will do the repair, just send them the camera. It's not something you should have a go at yourself. And anyone who can do it, will charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

krd wrote: »
    If Nikon just want 38 quid, be grateful and pay the honourable camera manufacturers.

These things are usually really fiddly to fix by hand. If Nikon will do the repair, just send them the camera. It's not something you should have a go at yourself. And anyone who can do it, will charge.

they want £38 for a part, not to fix it. nothing wrong with a bit of DIY,

Apple wanted 450euro + labour to fix my macbook pro screen, I found the part for 180euro and fit it myself.

Advertisement