Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HIP HOP IS DEAD??

Options
  • 28-09-2009 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hey

Who Thinks Hip Hop is Dead.

We had old school. funk beat focus on the instrumental and a rhyming style heavy beat light beat heavy beat light beat.

then we had hip hop. Samples and all the styles we know

Now we have Rap - Pop

Anyone in ireland experimenting with something different.
    lets hear it if you are.

I am experimenting with bringing bob dylan lyrics, poetry all other stuff together to create something radically incredible. if that interests you check out a few vid's i started uploading to you tube

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BmpyeScIEI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwa3fa3hyvI

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Hip Hop is not dead.....there is another thread on this which gives a good description of what is happening in hip hop

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055667910

There is also a Hip Hop 2009 thread that shows what is being released this year which might be of interest.

I had a listen to your clips, not bad at all. There are plenty of other people out there doing similar stuff, but nobody from Ireland that i know of. Other people to look out for that i can think of on the top of my head are B. Dolan, Sole, Alias, Sage Francis.

K'Naan and J. Period are also going to be releasing a tribute to Bob Dylan in the coming months, fusing his music with Hip Hop, they have recently done something similar for Fela Kuti which is exceptionally good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 00narayana00

cool.

i will look some of those guys up.

anyone else got any names of people who i might not have heard of. under the radar but inspiring

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Rynaldo

dont forget grime :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Loads of strange left field stuff going on at the moment. Look at the new Jerk subgenre. It sounds new, it's gotten incredibly popular (and profitable) very quickly. A fair amount of the songs are ****e but at least people are showing an appetite for something new. You mightn't like it, but I'd rather see the genre move in (several) new directions rather than be full of old farts badly cloning the early 90's golden era stuff.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Big Jus is also one to check out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

depends what h1ph0p scene you follow, underground is bouncing right now, snowgoons and especially common market and blue scholars, check em out specially the latter 2, they are both immense

In_tuition wrote: »
    depends what h1ph0p scene you follow, underground is bouncing right now, snowgoons and especially common market and blue scholars, check em out specially the latter 2, they are both immense

I'd recommend Blue Scholars also, they are decent. I'm also listening to an album by Debaser at the moment called Back To Work, it's real nice.

There are some others that have been impressing my lately also, Senor Kaos, Homeboy Sandman and Metermaids, all out of NYC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I'd recommend Blue Scholars also, they are decent. I'm also listening to an album by Debaser at the moment called Back To Work, it's real nice.

There are some others that have been impressing my lately also, Senor Kaos, Homeboy Sandman and Metermaids, all out of NYC.

Will check those out, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Bring me back the early 90's any day over the **** they're passing off as Hip Hop these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

The problem with hiphop? ...**** nothing at all
    it's an artform that ranges and it changes it evolves
    it's not always for the better, but patient with it ya'll
    for our time will come and the wicked will fall.

Sorry lads, but i hate to break it you - Hip-Hop ain't dead.

I'm getting sick of this Hip-hop is ****e movement thats going on these days. Sure, there is a lot of crap being played on the radio these, but radio has always played crap. There is still an abundance of quality, talent and originality in the rap game, you just have to look a little further than MTV to discover it.

Even back in your so called golden age, most of what was played on radio was garbage, and it the real quality was still in the underground. Even back in the days of Amerikkka's Most, Ice Cube was telling us to turn off the radio.

Two of the most acclaimed albums from the mid-90s, illmatic and reasonable doubt, were commercially unsuccessful at the time, and got no radio love. And for all its commercial acclaim, reasonable doubt had one of the worst songs of all time in Ain't No Nigga, which was an outrageously bad sell out attempt.

I will admit that unfortuantely, in the last few years, the mainstream is trending further and further away from lyricism, creativity and originality than ever before, but the mainstream has never been representative of what hip-hop was all about.

Back in the day, the fact that MC Hammer was selling millions of records didn't detract in anyway from the talents of people like KRS-One or PE, so why should soulja boy be entitled to lessen the quality work of today's artists.

i have been listening to hip-hop for almost 10 years now, and i can honestly say that the last 12 months has been one of the best periods i have seen in terms of the music thats being produced. I won't even go into them now, but check out the hip-hop 2009 thread and listen to some real hip-hop before you go dismissing an entire genre and culture based on whatever new trend spin 1038 are jumping on this week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Iamcharlie

Most of you are all old heads, no offense but times change.
    Drizzy Drake, Kid Cudi & Asher Roth run the new Hip-Hop era.

As for Ireland goes, there is no Hip Hop in Ireland. Lmao.

Iamcharlie wrote: »

No offence taken but those named run some of what is in the maintstream which is only one facet of hip hop. I listen to alot of new hip hop that isnt in the limelight and isnt made for the maintstream, the artists are using thier freedom to make the music what they want, not what is going to get them to the top of the billboard charts or on constant rotation on radio and TV.
    Not saying that what the people in the mainstream are not doing anything wrong, they are following thier own path.

As for the comment about no Hip Hop in Ireland, the Infomatics and MJEX gig on friday night was superb. :)

Hmmm. How exactly do these people "run ****?"

I see no definition by which they could possibly run anything. None of these artists have made any tangible impact on the music scene in any way whatsoever. Drake hasn't even released an album yet. They are all signed to major labels, all fit into what is the current corporate vision of hip-hop. None of them have had any considerable impact on the genre in terms of music or style. i'd be surprised if they even own their own publishing rights!

I will say that at least drake seems to have built his buzz by himself (although attaching him self to lil wayne certainly didn't help), and i give him credit for that.

Heck, if anything, drake and kid cudi merely show that Kanye West is "running ****". For a start, i would imagine that he makes more money out of kid cudi's album than kid cudi himself. Kanye was the one he started this mainstream trend of being somewhat eccentric, a bit preppy and a bit geeky. Kid Cudi in particular just seems to be building upon that, and from the brief bit i have heard, drake isn't doing anything new.

To "run ****" implies having an impact somewhat greater than releasing a gold record. To means having some sort of impact on the genre, on the culture or on the business side of things.

Jay-z ran/runs ****, 50 Cent ran ****, Dr. Dre ran/runs ****, p. diddy ran **** (, baby ran ****, but drake, asher roth, kid cudi couldn't out run those guys in a foot race, and they're 20 years their junior.

Even underground outfits like rhymesayers, def jux, rawkus (in its day) duck down etc are having more of an impact, because they have created a lane for themselves muscially and built a very large and dedicated fan base, based off their own style and on their own terms, and which will outlast any new artist that the record labels decide have next.

And that's without ever going into their musical abilities or otherwise. From what i have heard of these guys, they aren't my cup of tea, but i am sure they are aiight.

However, i am pretty certain that i'm not missing anything with Asher Roth. He appears to be a gimmick with nothing original to say, and not even an original flow to say it in. I have no problem with middle class white kids rapping, but surely they have something more interesting or relevant to say than i love college.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Im 18, doesn't matter what age you are i think anyone who listens to hip hop beyond the stuff thats played on the radio realises that drake and asher roth arent the new hip op era, their are alot more artists coming through, some doing traditional hip hop and others are going experimental.

And saying their is o hip hop in ireland is just ignorance, just because you don't hear it on the radio doesn't mean it isn't out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Iamcharlie

I thought you might of being trying to make some point with that link, so i tried to listen.

I got to 40 seconds. Could you just explain your point, save us all 5 mins of our lives that we won't get back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Nolanger wrote: »

:D

Just came in here to post a link to this! Wicked, wicked wicked article (but then I'm a complete Simon Reynolds fanboy)

Anyone have any views on it?

nice article, well written and presented. But i think that this skims just below the surface. This is a theme that could be analysed to death, examples put forth, arguments, counter arguments etc....but there still wont be an answer that will satisfy everyone. I guess the important thing is that I know where i stand and my opinion on things but Im open enough to listen to others standpoints.

Yea, it was a well written piece, and while it appears to make some good points, it doesn't really stand up to further scrutiny.

While it was nice to see that somebody finally acknowledge the existence of "the underground" in one of these articles (although then fail to deal with the issues in any meaningful way, or explore its contribution to hip-hop with any reference to some actual "underground" artists or music), i think that ultimately, like all the similar rants that pop up on an a regular basis, is that they seem to be predicated on analysis of hip-hop made in a vacumn, without appreciating how this issue ties into wider trends in society.

For all the arguments about hip-hop becoming overly mainstream, unoriginal, uninventive, dumbed down and uninspiring, people don't seem to realise that this is merely symptomatic of modern society in general. for the masses, its about disposal celebrity, mass produced and easily digestible celebrity, propogated by mtv, vh1, itv, tv3, sky etc. obviously, the mainstream of hip-hop has been affected by this and caught onto this trend, which is unsurprising, given hip-hop was materialistic and brash long before materialistic and brash was in fashion.

But, you can make the same accusations about most genres of music, film and tv theses day. the consumer masses don't want innovative, boundary pushing arts, they want mass produced, easily digested, wifi enabled "brands". i'm mean, kings of leon and green day are probably the biggest bands in the world right now - i'm not that into rock, but they're not exactly pushing boundaries themselves, are they? the fact that u2 can still sell a couple million copies of the same album repackaged differently every 3 or 4 years, shows that this problem isn't one affecting hip-hop alone, its most mainstream genres of music.

But who cares? Mainstream is mainstream. If you buy into it, good for you, lap that **** up. if not, there's still loads of quality product out there. 2009 has been a great year for good quality hip-hop, i can't keep up with all the releases, and they're still coming.

Also, lastly, but by no means least, despite his apparent claims to the contrary, as with most hip-hop is dead articles written for non "urban" audiences, this guy didn't really ever give the impression that had actually managed to listen to a hip-hop record outside of the trl top whatever countdown.

I mean, i'm sure if rolling stone gave me a shot, i could write an equally scathing article on rock, or do a similar job on dance music in a dance mag based off a couple of hours listening to spin 1038.

He addresses the underground, yet not one mention of a 00's underground artist? his entire article seems to be predicated off what's being played on radio. yet radio trends has never been the real barometer that hip-hop has been judged by.

So essentially, the same old recycled rubbish. when a hip-hop journalist/fan writes one of these, get at me. until somebody can explain how hip-hop is dead when wu-tang is forever, i ain't buying that ****!

(Incidentally, god damn, even u-god is putting out good records these days! hip-hop is dead my ass!)

• Advertisement

nice article, well written and presented. But i think that this skims just below the surface. This is a theme that could be analysed to death, examples put forth, arguments, counter arguments etc....but there still wont be an answer that will satisfy everyone. I guess the important thing is that I know where i stand and my opinion on things but Im open enough to listen to others standpoints.

also, i realise i just analysed it to death, but, hey, ive nothing better to do!

floggg wrote: »
    also, i realise i just analysed it to death, but, hey, ive nothing better to do!

i had to bring the laptop to the toilet there was so much reading :D

i had to bring the laptop to the toilet there was so much reading :D

that's the beauty of internet phones, it doesn't look half as suspicious or seedy when you plan on doing some quality reading on the john!

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Yea, it was a well written piece, and while it appears to make some good points, it doesn't really stand up to further scrutiny.

While it was nice to see that somebody finally acknowledge the existence of "the underground" in one of these articles (although then fail to deal with the issues in any meaningful way, or explore its contribution to hip-hop with any reference to some actual "underground" artists or music), i think that ultimately, like all the similar rants that pop up on an a regular basis, is that they seem to be predicated on analysis of hip-hop made in a vacumn, without appreciating how this issue ties into wider trends in society.

For all the arguments about hip-hop becoming overly mainstream, unoriginal, uninventive, dumbed down and uninspiring, people don't seem to realise that this is merely symptomatic of modern society in general. for the masses, its about disposal celebrity, mass produced and easily digestible celebrity, propogated by mtv, vh1, itv, tv3, sky etc. obviously, the mainstream of hip-hop has been affected by this and caught onto this trend, which is unsurprising, given hip-hop was materialistic and brash long before materialistic and brash was in fashion.

But, you can make the same accusations about most genres of music, film and tv theses day. the consumer masses don't want innovative, boundary pushing arts, they want mass produced, easily digested, wifi enabled "brands". i'm mean, kings of leon and green day are probably the biggest bands in the world right now - i'm not that into rock, but they're not exactly pushing boundaries themselves, are they? the fact that u2 can still sell a couple million copies of the same album repackaged differently every 3 or 4 years, shows that this problem isn't one affecting hip-hop alone, its most mainstream genres of music.

But who cares? Mainstream is mainstream. If you buy into it, good for you, lap that **** up. if not, there's still loads of quality product out there. 2009 has been a great year for good quality hip-hop, i can't keep up with all the releases, and they're still coming.

Also, lastly, but by no means least, despite his apparent claims to the contrary, as with most hip-hop is dead articles written for non "urban" audiences, this guy didn't really ever give the impression that had actually managed to listen to a hip-hop record outside of the trl top whatever countdown.

I mean, i'm sure if rolling stone gave me a shot, i could write an equally scathing article on rock, or do a similar job on dance music in a dance mag based off a couple of hours listening to spin 1038.

He addresses the underground, yet not one mention of a 00's underground artist? his entire article seems to be predicated off what's being played on radio. yet radio trends has never been the real barometer that hip-hop has been judged by.

So essentially, the same old recycled rubbish. when a hip-hop journalist/fan writes one of these, get at me. until somebody can explain how hip-hop is dead when wu-tang is forever, i ain't buying that ****!

(Incidentally, god damn, even u-god is putting out good records these days! hip-hop is dead my ass!)

Preech brother! Could not have said it better myself. Most of these articles claiming hip hop is dead will usually fail to mention underground artists, I do agree with what the article says about mainstream hip hop, but im sure alot of heads would too.

As a previous poster said, back when Kool G Rap, KRS 1 and Rakim were lashing out records, MC Hammer was the more popular artist so when has mainstream hip hop ever been a true representation of what hip hop was about?? Same goes for most genres of music.

that's the beauty of internet phones, it doesn't look half as suspicious or seedy when you plan on doing some quality reading on the john!

i still remember the days where you had to bust out the extension cord and drag the PC desk into the jacks :D

Advertisement