Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crossbred rams

Options
  • 24-09-2020 8:21pm

I have it in my head using a crossbred ram on a crossbred ewe is a bad idea? No reason behind it that I can think of. Wouldn't be keeping any lambs out of the combination.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭kk.man

I have it in my head using a crossbred ram on a crossbred ewe is a bad idea? No reason behind it that I can think of. Wouldn't be keeping any lambs out of the combination.

It's like playing the lotto with what offspring comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Your losing hybrid vigour in the cross imo

Your losing hybrid vigour in the cross imo

That's the reason I had forgot, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

kk.man wrote: »
    It's like playing the lotto with what offspring comes.

Definitely, the ram himself could look a champion but his mother could be a screw and of course sods law would dictate that all his offspring would take after the rams mother.
    It happened here years ago when my uncle gave me a ram, the ram was black but his mother was a Galway, the progeny looked like race horses, I never forgot it

wrangler wrote: »
    Definitely, the ram himself could look a champion but his mother could be a screw and of course sods law would dictate that all his offspring would take after the rams mother.
    It happened here years ago when my uncle gave me a ram, the ram was black but his mother was a Galway, the progeny looked like race horses, I never forgot it

The rams I saw looked fantastic, but I had a doubt in my head about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The rams I saw looked fantastic, but I had a doubt in my head about it.

It'd be alright if they were using purebreds on both side, purebred charolais are a great cross with purebred texel or beltex, they're really doing teh biz where they're being used

wrangler wrote: »
    It'd be alright if they were using purebreds on both side, purebred charolais are a great cross with purebred texel or beltex, they're really doing teh biz where they're being used

Looking for a suffolk ram at the moment, I fancy a decent bit of hardship next Spring :o

Advertisement