Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New watch 'lost' in post - What next

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Del2005 wrote: »
    The OP has no case with An Post or DHL, their contract is with the seller and the seller has to deal with the delivery companies.

OP I'd be onto my bank to start a charge back against PayPal, they had their chance now use your next level of protection.

Thanks Del, I wasn't sure whether that was still an option. The sale dates back to the end of June.

Ciaranis wrote: »
    As a regular and long-time PayPal user, I'm quite alarmed that they found against you on this issue. Unless you're opening disputes left, right and centre (which I'm quite sure you're not), they should have your back. I'm sure justice will prevail, but if you have to resort to chargeback to get it, I'd ask serious questions of PayPal's judgment.

I would too yes and I'm a bit miffed about it. Never had any issues. My first dispute ever (15 years or so).

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ciaranis

Did PayPal give a rationale for finding against you? Or was it just a No handed down from on high?

Did PayPal give a rationale for finding against you? Or was it just a No handed down from on high?

Their line was that the carrier info says 'delivered' so they'll go with that and in any case they dont get involved in delivery issues. The last bit I got on the chat after the decision. Sound cock & bull to me.
    We received the case(s) you filed on 11 August 2020

We have reviewed this transaction(s) and are denying your case(s).

This decision was made because we received shipment tracking from the merchant confirming that the merchandise was delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭geotrig

Their line was that the carrier info says 'delivered' so they'll go with that and in any case they dont get involved in delivery issues. The last bit I got on the chat after the decision. Sound cock & bull to me.

I suspected that paypal would go this route as ive seen some people have similar issues once an item was delivered , I'd also raise a dispute with an post as well to cover all angles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭CoBo55

geotrig wrote: »
    I suspected that paypal would go this route as ive seen some people have similar issues once an item was delivered , I'd also raise a dispute with an post as well to cover all angles.

I'd just claim the money back from the bank. Clearly An Post are to blame here and let PayPal chase them for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭banie01

geotrig wrote: »

OP has no legal standing with an post to raise a dispute.
    The postal service/courier's contract is with the seller.
    The OP can certainly request the confirmation from An Post that it wasn't delivered to the correct address but any liability for misdelivery that accrues is to the seller/sender and not the recipient.

The OP's choices for settlement here are agreement with the seller, PayPal finding in their favour, or chargeback and forgoing PayPal as a payment option for the future as they tend to nuke accounts that go down that route.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

As a regular and long-time PayPal user, I'm quite alarmed that they found against you on this issue. Unless you're opening disputes left, right and centre (which I'm quite sure you're not), they should have your back. I'm sure justice will prevail, but if you have to resort to chargeback to get it, I'd ask serious questions of PayPal's judgment.

PayPal have gone to utter crap in terms of where they used to be in the last few months to a year. Vastly more seller-focused now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Sorry to hear this op,I actually had a delivery from Dhl a couple of weeks ago with the wrong address on it as well that had been filled in by PayPal and the seller had my address also.
    It was another estate in the town I live in and the person there must have refused delivery as I got an email and had to change the address they had down to my own.

I have it verbally that my package was delivered to a similar sounding estate in the next town. I was told that the vans have GPS and its pretty clear from the record as thats where the van was on that date at that time. But I tried to get a written statement out of anPost to that effect but no joy. The best I got was 'not addressed to you'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I have it verbally that my package was delivered to a similar sounding estate in the next town. I was told that the vans have GPS and its pretty clear from the record as thats where the van was on that date at that time. But I tried to get a written statement out of anPost to that effect but no joy. The best I got was 'not addressed to you'.

What sort of money are we talking here, what watch was it???

A 2020 Seiko Alpinist. €559.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

A 2020 Seiko Alpinist. €559.

Will an post cover the 300 euro max insurance???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭893bet

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I'd just claim the money back from the bank. Clearly An Post are to blame here and let PayPal chase them for the money.

This seems to be the best option but you are finished with PayPal there after.

It’s not as straight forward With the back either I have heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭CoBo55

893bet wrote: »
    This seems to be the best option but you are finished with PayPal there after.

It’s not as straight forward With the back either I have heard.

I've done it twice and never had any trouble. I'm with Ulster Bank. One was non delivery of an item and the other was for something being paid for twice, once by the bank and the other by postal order.

Fitz II wrote: »
    Will an post cover the 300 euro max insurance???

I dont know and I shouldn't care I think. All that is seller business. Seller wants to wait with refund until liability is sorted and the two liable parties involved - DHL and anPost - are twisting and turning.

Just called the bank. Chargeback procedure is available for 120 days from the date of purchase which was June 30. So that's the end of October give or take a couple of days. I can wait another month for this to sort itself out.

At least thats one last option available to me but doesnt sound straightforward either. And if Paypal kicked me out then I guess so be it. Paypal is handy and I use it a lot, but the 'privilege' of using it isn't worth a €559 write-off.

Will give the solicitor another call too to get his opinion.

All's well that ends well.

Got email from seller this evening, DHL accepted liability and the seller reimbursed me immediately. Money is back in the bank. I can put the Paypal case to bed and enjoy a different watch that I would have never bought had I gotten the Alpinist.

Thanks for your interest. Sometimes things do end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

All's well that ends well.

Got email from seller this evening, DHL accepted liability and the seller reimbursed me immediately. Money is back in the bank. I can put the Paypal case to bed and enjoy a different watch that I would have never bought had I gotten the Alpinist.

Thanks for your interest. Sometimes things do end well.

Congrats I’d say your sick of it all at this stage

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Congrats I’d say your sick of it all at this stage

You can say that again. Purchase date was 27/6 and here I am 3 months later.

But I got my money back and I bought a lovely watch of a boardsie in the meantime that makes me really happy which I wouldnt have bought had the Seiko arrived. And the seller made me whole even though they 'won' the PayPal case. And it was the first time I had trouble with an online purchase in over 15 years. Trying to look at the positives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Nice one.

And fair play to the seller. Sounds like a fella worth dealing with again in the future. -Maybe share his details so he benefits from his customer focus :)

Still got the goo on ya for an Alpinist? They are lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

fat bloke wrote: »
    Nice one.

And fair play to the seller. Sounds like a fella worth dealing with again in the future. -Maybe share his details so he benefits from his customer focus :)

Still got the goo on ya for an Alpinist? They are lovely.

Just, one, more, Seiko :D

Please share the sellers details. Sounds like great customer service :)

No problem and I must repeat the seller was courteous and helpful all along and never hinted once they didnt believe me. Even in the PayPal case they never said anything against me. It was just that Paypal didnt really care.

They have a great Seiko range and good prices too.

Obviously I had a bad experience with their carrier chain so I'm not sure how quickly I'd order something again where DHL/anPost was involved. Not saying anPost is dodgy. Mistakes or bad apples can happen everywhere its just once bitten and all that...

Anyway this would have been my new watch had things gone ok, well, the black one actually, seems out of stock now: https://www.faszinationzeit.de/seiko-prospex-alpinist-automatic-spb119j1_78424_5505

Looking at that lovely off white dial now and I still kind of want it. Its a very very nice watch.

Looking at that lovely off white dial now and I still kind of want it. Its a very very nice watch.

Would you roll those DHL dice again though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭blingrhino

buy local.

At your local Alpinist shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,878 ✭✭✭✭unkel

fat bloke wrote: »
    At your local Alpinist shop.

There's 4 of them here in Lucan.

blingrhino wrote: »
    buy local.

There is that but where I live the last proper jeweller just closed this summer. And what would be the chance he'd have that watch? Next to none.
    Plus that watch was €700 plus everywhere I looked, but on that site it was €550.

Advertisement