Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Do I Remove Condensation Spots That Are Painted Over?

Options
  • 16-09-2020 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi All,

As the title suggests, there's two walls in a room of a house that I've recently arrived in that have a large degree of condensation on them. The person that was in it previously decided to paint over the condensation but it's still coming through in parts.

At this stage, how can I get rid of these condensation marks? Normally one would use some type of cleaning agent mixed with water, a sponge or cloth & a lot of elbow grease but now with the paint on the wall somewhat covering the condensation, is this approach pointless?

Also, if I just decide to paint over the condensation marks until they don't show & then apply a paint that I want to the wall, will that have a negative effect on one's health? I know having damp marks on the walls is bad for health but will painting over it cancel that out somehow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Remove the paint. Treat and get primer or paint suitable for covering such.

No point trying to keep the paint that's on.

Vinegar and lemon or mildew and mould remover.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Adolin

Remove the paint. Treat and get primer or paint suitable for covering such.

No point trying to keep the paint that's on.

Vinegar and lemon or mildew and mould remover.

Cheers, thanks for replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

You don't need to remove paint. Get an anti mould solution, soak the area to kill the spores. Get a shellac primer and paint this over the area. Then put whatever topcoat over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

have you solved the problem of the condensation?
    Is it a drylined wall with metal fixings?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

dok_golf wrote: »
    You don't need to remove paint. Get an anti mould solution, soak the area to kill the spores. Get a shellac primer and paint this over the area. Then put whatever topcoat over this.

I would if it's peeling and bubbling

• Advertisement

have you solved the problem of the condensation?
    Is it a drylined wall with metal fixings?

I've been leaving the windows open as much as possible for the last week or so & that has helped to mitigate it.

I've very little knowledge when it comes to construction so forgive me if I'm off on this but I know the wall isn't drylined. The house itself is about 80 years old so the walls are solid stone walls that are plastered (I think?).

Fortunately it isn't peeling or bubbling. The paint is actually emulsion so I spoke to someone off-line about it as well. They recommended that I just use very hot water & some cleaning agent. I've done that this morning and it seems to have gotten most of it off.

I'll use some mould remover as well just to be sure on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

its not though

Advertisement