Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maria Bailey's Final Statement in Comic Sans

Options
  • 15-11-2019 6:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

I often find it hard to decipher whether our politicians are corrupt or just incompetent.

We knew Maria Bailey was crooked, but her font choice for this final statement just underlines how out of touch and clueless her and her ilk really are.

Even if she wasn't aware of how universally derided the font is (and if you aren't aware yourself, it is basically to a designer what a McDonald's burger would be to a Michelin star chef), when you select the font it tells you the name of it - COMIC... Why would you pick that for such a serious statement?

They really are laughing at us, all of them. I actually hope we have another recession maybe we might get rid of this crowd they are just Tories by a different name.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

It's a font. I'm not a designer or a wanker so I don't really care (not aimed at you). I don't get the outrage or whatever it is that Twitter users are experiencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Rather odd. It's a little bit off. More style than substance? You would expect TN Roman.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Because she’s tacky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

I used to think Comic Sans was quite cute and it does have an innocent, child like air, but then I grew up a bit to be a Garamond type of gal. Maybe she is going for cutesie divil may care innocent sassy lassie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I do love a bit of genuine copperplate if I'm honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

We knew Maria Bailey was crooked, but her font choice for this final statement just underlines how out of touch and clueless her and her ilk really are.

Even if she wasn't aware of how universally derided the font is (and if you aren't aware yourself, it is basically to a designer what a McDonald's burger would be to a Michelin star chef), when you select the font it tells you the name of it - COMIC... Why would you pick that for such a serious statement?
    And the second part of the font's name is SANS, meaning 'without'. She was making sure there was nothing comic about her statement!

But seriously...who cares? Did you consider posting this in the 'Trivially annoying' thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I found it hilarious that her latest bulletin dropped through the letterbox last night while all this is going on. Going for the sympathy card too with a picture of her with her late father front and centre.
    There's a whole page dedicated to the environment and recycling, yet the bulletin is printed on environmentally unfriendly heavy colour card (at least 300gsm).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

I found it hilarious that her latest bulletin dropped through the letterbox last night while all this is going on. Going for the sympathy card too with a picture of her with her late father front and centre.
    There's a whole page dedicated to the environment and recycling, yet the bulletin is printed on environmentally unfriendly heavy colour card (at least 300gsm).
    The old adage of "Do as I say and not as I do" is common to all politicians and not to just the corrupt or incompetent group or party.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Where all my Wingdings people at?

Omackeral wrote: »
    Where all my Wingdings people at?

Swingdings, Mack, swingdings!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

I often find it hard to decipher whether our politicians are corrupt or just incompetent.

They really are laughing at us, all of them. I actually hope we have another recession maybe we might get rid of this crowd they are just Tories by a different name.

Personally I wouldn't have a clue about the intricate detailing or meaning of uses of different fonts, I wouldn't even know why one should be used for certain detailing as compared to another.
    What's the big deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Where's the statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

It's almost like a deliberate distraction :rolleyes:

"Hey everybody, let's talk about a poxy font and forget about the crippling insurance rates!"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I actually hope we have another recession maybe we might get rid of this crowd they are just Tories by a different name.

Yeah I can’t wait for Fianna Fáil to get back in.
    They’ll do right by the country, they always have.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's a bit of a nonissue, of course, but who looks at a font like Comic sans and thinks that the font I need for my official, formal, correspondence. :pac:

It's like a serious legal text being written in Walt Disney lettering.

Mind you, we have no idea is Bailey actually composed the letter or chose that font herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

She should count herself very lucky that she hasn't faced criminal charges for fraud, rather than playing the victim over a far lighter, deserved, punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Tony EH wrote: »
    It's a bit of a nonissue, of course, but who looks at a font like Comic sans and thinks that the font I need for my official, formal, correspondence. :pac:

It's like a serious legal text being written in Walt Disney lettering.

Mind you, we have no idea is Bailey actually composed the letter or chose that font herself.

I doubt she wrote it. It says "deleted" as opposed to "deselected". I'd say it was one of her minions. The self-important little sh!ts you see strutting around on Count day.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

She has a nice tush.

I can forgive her the font choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I quite like the font, whats wrong with it. Its looks good and is very legible.

What really sticks out is her continuing unawareness of the situation. Whatever about ethics, she is not politically astute at all. She has apologised for the problems she caused, not for her behaviour or her stupidity. She still thinks she got shafted. The thought that she may actually not get reelected for what she did and the sh1tstorm she caused doesnt even enter her head. I'd say she's some piece of work in real life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

She probably thinks the font is cutesy. Probably the same font she used when doing a secondary School transition year report on work experience with Daddy.

The content of the report is of someone not remotely aware or contrite. She's just not that smart

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Absolutely clueless and delighted to see her deselected. Anyone who votes for this one goes in eyes open.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I quite like the font, whats wrong with it. Its looks good and is very legible.

What really sticks out is her continuing unawareness of the situation. Whatever about ethics, she is not politically astute at all. She has apologised for the problems she caused, not for her behaviour or her stupidity. She still thinks she got shafted. The thought that she may actually not get reelected for what she did and the sh1tstorm she caused doesnt even enter her head. I'd say she's some piece of work in real life.

Just a typical Fine Gaeler really.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Mokuba wrote: »
    She should count herself very lucky that she hasn't faced criminal charges for fraud, rather than playing the victim over a far lighter, deserved, punishment.
    She dropped the case so no fraud perpetrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,870 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

And the second part of the font's name is SANS, meaning 'without'. She was making sure there was nothing comic about her statement!

But seriously...who cares? Did you consider posting this in the 'Trivially annoying' thread?

FG SANS Bailey.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

comicsans2.png

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

For Maria.

055c1f5a587028c31f682f822d9ee4e8.png

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

Googled "Comic Sans humour" for the above. Cant believe there is so much derision for it.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 16,110 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

But it's without serifs. But you probably knew that.

But if it was a final statement why didn't she use something like Impact (bolded, of course, and underlined)?

So it's probably not a final statement...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I quite like the font, whats wrong with it. Its looks good

Ideal for your CV so.

Advertisement