Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many push-ups can you do?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

I can do those push ups where you stay standing up and lean forward and push with your hands against the top of the dresser or chest of drawers. I can do about 5 of those magnificently.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

Do 50 press ups without building up to it. I can imagine the sloppy state of form in accomplishing that

If he was doing full range press ups where his chest touches the ground in each rep then I doubt he'd get close to 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Diamond pushups are very difficult. I can only manage about 10 of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

elefant wrote: »
    50 push-ups without doing any working out is pretty phenomenal.

he clearly didn't do proper pushups ....if doing them after never doing them or for a long time .....you'd only do 10/20 max (proper ones)

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

My last fitness test in work I done 67 in 60 seconds, the most I've done in that time was 73.

I think my sit ups were 55 in 60 seconds.

You did yeah. You couldn’t do 25 proper ones.
    You’re 50 years old and over 100kg.
    Either you’ve made up this story or the instructors let you away with one inch movement.
    Prove me wrong with a video and I’ll give €100 to a charity of your choice. I’ll send in proof of donation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Don't think I could do 50 just like that. Not proper ones anyway. Maybe 20 and I'd say the last few would look pretty shaky.

EDIT: Lol, just tried. I was being optimistic. Nearly fainted at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

shutup wrote: »
    Either you’ve made up this story or the instructors let you away with one inch movement.
    Prove me wrong with a video and I’ll give €100 to a charity of your choice. I’ll send in proof of donation

giphy.gif?cid=790b761174cfef979140c7228ceea85c7cb405c9f98d31a2&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

12, just checked, a little out of practice. It doesn't help that I broke a scaphoid bone over a decade ago and never got it sorted, wrist has never been right since so I can't to an open hand push up, on closed fist only.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

0 or less than

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Been doing 20x3 ....3 times a day daily for some time, you definitely see results if you stick to a routine .....not as taxing or time consuming as other types of exercises

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

I'll put in another €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Well, in the whole of Boards.i.e., there are a few posters I would consider to be straight up no nonsense type of people. Makikomi is very high on that list.
    Lads, I think you'll be getting your cheque books out.

This is not a pop at you guys.

As for my own prowess, I can manage about 11, of the almost vertical against the wall type. I wouldn't risk the other ones, I have what they call 'fear of failure' , or in this case embarrassing/hilarious failure. ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Go Home Paddy Cat!!

I downloaded one of those push up apps about 2 months ago. There is an assessment when you first use it to see how many you can do. I did 12... pretty pathetic. Then I continued to build it up and in about 8 weeks I can now do about 120. I needed to clear out my wardrobe as well as my arms are now too big for most of my shirts - was lifting a cup of coffee the other day and ripped my shirt.

Oh.. wait, this was all a dream.

I downloaded one of those push up apps about 2 months ago. There is an assessment when you first use it to see how many you can do. I did 12... pretty pathetic. Then I continued to build it up and in about 8 weeks I can now do about 120. I needed to clear out my wardrobe as well as my arms are now too big for most of my shirts - was lifting a cup of coffee the other day and ripped my shirt.

Oh.. wait, this was all a dream.

Hahaha,
    Reading through, I was thinking "well, this is going to be the year, wonder what app this is".

Dang

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm older than that and lighter than that, and it would be impossible for me to get a video of my last fitness test, and if I could I don't feel I've anything to prove to you.

As regards your donation to charity, that's very generous of you but I do a lot of charity runs and cycling sportives throughout the year, I don't need to do anything for an internet no body.
    Either you’ve made up this story or the instructors let you away with one inch movement

Pick whichever one you choose to believe, I don't care and won't be replying to you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Does opening and closing the fridge and cabinets count?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭HBC08

You asked random people to pick a number and then you'd put your feet on a stool and do that number of pushups?

What? Is it a prank or something?

A plank.

Well, in the whole of Boards.i.e., there are a few posters I would consider to be straight up no nonsense type of people. Makikomi is very high on that list.
    Lads, I think you'll be getting your cheque books out.

This is not a pop at you guys.

There are a lot of straight up no nonsense TALKERS online.
    This whole thread is proof of that.

To put some of these numbers in perspective. I’ve been in gyms for years and seen very few if, anyone doing 50 plus push ups in a row. I played on sports teams for years and never knew anyone doing that volume. I played junior for na fianna but I knew a lot of the senior players. The lads were in great shape and as fit and strong as any GAA team. I think we’d all accept that top club gaa teams are in good condition. They couldn’t do massive amounts of push ups (or pull ups).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

About 3 or 4 , I get a bit bored after that.

There are a lot of straight up no nonsense TALKERS online.
    This whole thread is proof of that.

To put some of these numbers in perspective. I’ve been in gyms for years and seen very few if, anyone doing 50 plus push ups in a row. I played on sports teams for years and never knew anyone doing that volume. I played junior for na fianna but I knew a lot of the senior players. The lads were in great shape and as fit and strong as any GAA team. I think we’d all accept that top club gaa teams are in good condition. They couldn’t do massive amounts of push ups (or pull ups).

Stood on my landing counting out my son's uninterrupted pushups, and he exceeded Maks efforts. Not hugely, but he was aiming to improve on it. I stopped watching before one of us had a heart attack. Bear in mind, he wasn't grinding himself to halt, but I'd admit he was certainly struggling at the end. He was mid twenties at the time.

Edit: I suppose I'm just saying that I can believe it's possible for Makikomi to do as he stated, and cannot imagine him spoofing.

• Advertisement

Did his chest touch the ground and his arms go fully extended on every single rep?
    If so, that’s great. Fair play to him. He’s in great shape.
    The problem is people doing them wrong and claiming the results.

Did his chest touch the ground and his arms go fully extended on every single rep?
    If so, that’s great. Fair play to him. He’s in great shape.
    The problem is people doing them wrong and claiming the results.

Yes, he instructed me first on how to recognise a proper push up. Yeah, he's fit alright. That was s a few years ago, and he still takes care of himself, but probably not to the same ,dare I say, extreme.
    He reminds me of a younger me, insofar as that's what I used to see in the mirror. But apparently the mirror DOES lie to some of us.::pac::D

Stood on my landing counting out my son's uninterrupted pushups, and he exceeded Maks efforts.

Like I said earlier, my numbers are good but not extraordinary (esp for my job).

If he wants to improve I can highly recommend rubber band push ups, in fact rubber resistance bands are a fantastic training aid for all sorts of sports.

My first sport is Judo, and within weeks of switching to rubber resistance bands, kettlebells and TRX my Judo improved noticeably. And with most parks providing training stations its never been easier than to throw some bands and TRX straps into a running backpack and train in the outdoors, I love it.

and he exceeded Maks efforts.

How much more than 9 did he get?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

It is not possible, the world record for pushups in 60 seconds is 82
    https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/et-tv/indian-bruce-lee-breaks-world-record-of-maximum-pushups/videoshow/50921646.cms
    Makikomi says they are over 50 years old and can do more than 70 in a minute..

I don't exercise and I can do 30. I test myself every few years to see if i still can do it.

I'm the wrong side of 40 now.

Another test for you all. Stand on your head up against the wall (use a small cushion to ease the pressure on your head). Now see if you can lift your entire body weight by lifting yourself up till your arms are fully stretched.

wakka12 wrote: »
    It is not possible, the world record for pushups in 60 seconds is 82
    https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/et-tv/indian-bruce-lee-breaks-world-record-of-maximum-pushups/videoshow/50921646.cms
    Makikomi says they are over 50 years old and can do more than 70 in a minute..

Seems I'm better than I thought so!.

Thanks, I like you :D

Completely agree with what your saying. It is not possible.
    However, I wouldn’t credit the guy in video with any push ups. His chest didn’t touch the floor once.
    But it does show the pace that is needed to get to 70 plus push ups in a minute. And it shows the build required for those numbers. Is anyone mad enough to believe a big guy in his 50s can get anywhere near that pace for one straight min?
    And apparently that wasn’t even a good score. So we have all these Irish soldiers who are world record level. The internet chat strikes again !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Push up or shut up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

Pretty sure over 40's do a modified push up in the army too i.e on their knees

Advertisement