Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many push-ups can you do?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

iamstop wrote: »
    I used to be fond of the decline pushup meself. Start about level with your arms locked and your feet up on a chair, bench or stool. Bend at the elbows and lower your body until you almost touch the ground with your face. Then lift your body back up and lock the arms again to complete.
    I used to ask randos to think of a number between 20 and 40 and I'd do what ever number they said. I'd all but stopped working out from about last summer until the start of this year so I'd be really struggling to get 20. For now. Won't be long before I can get close to 40 again. Check back with me in March eh.

giphy.gif?cid=790b761174cfef979140c7228ceea85c7cb405c9f98d31a2&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

to failure? or total before you can do more?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

to failure? or total before you can do more?

Whats the diff? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

elefant wrote: »
    50 push-ups without doing any working out is pretty phenomenal.

Some might even say it's unbelievable, in a very literal sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

But to be fair, the Luas is packed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

They’re not push ups, they’re letdowns. I can do 0.127 letdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,638 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

30 non stop proper push-ups. Then I'm out, follow it with 30 proper squats, ie knees behind toes, waist below knees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

This is proper push up form if, you are not going all the way down and locking out at the top you are not doing pushups. If you can do 50 strict form pushups with out any training then fair play.
    Unpossible.
    When I was 20 (almost 70 now) my routine was 50 finger-tip press-ups (max up and touch floor at down, body straight) three times in 15 minutes. It took 18 months to build up to that level, adding a few every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

iamstop wrote: »
    I used to be fond of the decline pushup meself. Start about level with your arms locked and your feet up on a chair, bench or stool. Bend at the elbows and lower your body until you almost touch the ground with your face. Then lift your body back up and lock the arms again to complete.
    I used to ask randos to think of a number between 20 and 40 and I'd do what ever number they said. I'd all but stopped working out from about last summer until the start of this year so I'd be really struggling to get 20. For now. Won't be long before I can get close to 40 again. Check back with me in March eh.
    You asked random people to pick a number and then you'd put your feet on a stool and do that number of pushups?

What? Is it a prank or something?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

You asked random people to pick a number and then you'd put your feet on a stool and do that number of pushups?

What? Is it a prank or something?

No.

It was legitness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

What type of pushups?

jiltloop wrote: »
    Some might even say it's unbelievable, in a very literal sense.
    It's not ...people often make adaptations when beginning to make an exercise easier. Widening the arms etc. It makes 50 push ups easy.

Its still beneficial. Its just when you correct form etc. They are surprised by how much of a difference it makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Would do over a hundred of varying types..

But your standard run of the mill full pushup... Probably 50 or so in one go.. not the easier wide arm pushup either

Must try this evening

BTW there is no one proper push up form. There are lots of forms. And everyone has different anatomy or shoulder issues etc or wants to work a certain area.

Don't be so judgy!

But you are doing an easier variation of push up if you can do 50 with no training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I believe in taking care of myself, and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine. In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭dragona

I can do 3 properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Raconteuse wrote: »
    I believe in taking care of myself, and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine. In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now.

Alright Bateman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

I can do 200 strict, but I built up to it using the grease the groove Russian Pavlae T something method. Did it when I went from heavy weights press- bench-squat-deadlift to body weight single leg squat- handstand press-pushup-deadlift.
    I used offsets, wide, feet raised and negative weighted to push through from 50-100 and then in tens up to 200.

Pull ups and chin ups are my next goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

1 or 2 hundred

dragona wrote: »
    I can do 3 properly.

You can do 3 of a certain type of push up. Then you should switch to keep training the same muscles to a lesser degree.

10 proper push ups and building that up every day is nowhere near as good as 10 proper push ups then 20 wide arm push ups then 40 incline push ups. Then proper push ups again ...when you reach failure ..go on to your knees.

Plus some people have back issues and will never go on to their toes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

My last fitness test in work I done 67 in 60 seconds, the most I've done in that time was 73.

I think my sit ups were 55 in 60 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

elefant wrote: »
    50 push-ups without doing any working out is pretty phenomenal.

Depends on his age, genetics
    Some younger people could do a surprising amount of push ups without much prior working out or training

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

None but I’ve a broken shoulder at the moment.

Probably the same when mended.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

The amount of bull**** in this thread. The movement standards must be appalling to get the huge numbers people are claiming.
    would love to see some videos to back up these claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

A few
    Benching is easier lol
    They're grand to build up though, did a phase of doing some every night and got to loads

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I believe in taking care of myself, and a balanced diet and a rigorous exercise routine. In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while doing my push-ups.

I can do a thousand now. 
    2 late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Melania Frump

My last fitness test in work I done 67 in 60 seconds, the most I've done in that time was 73.

I think my sit ups were 55 in 60 seconds.

Yeah but were they diamond push ups or run of the mill?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

bluewolf wrote: »
    2 late

Well, that'll learn me to read a thread.

Although I did at least change the line from 'stomach crunches' to 'push-ups'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yeah but were they diamond push ups or run of the mill?

I had to google what a diamond push up's were, so I guess I just do your run of the mill push up.

But I'm tested by military physical training instructors. Those numbers wouldn't be amazing in the army, very good but not extraordinary.

Advertisement