Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you own property?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Always wondered what happened at end of Mortgage, won't be another 14 years. What do people do with deeds, keep them secured in your house or with solicitors?

I have a copy in a Very Important Biscuit Tin. The bank has another copy, and the Land Registry have the original records. Most people don't bother and leave these things with the solicitor who did the conveyancing, but in my case he happens to be a useless prick. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Yep.

Own the family home outright. The wife inherited her parents home as well which we rent out.

I also own a block of pre-63 flats. 6 individual units in a red brick. I could live off the income from this alone. Have it rented out to Brazilians. Nice people and don't give me any hassle. I only rent to foreigners now. Irish people just aren't worth the effort.
    That is probably racist but absolutely correct. The Irish want their rights as tenants but not responsibilities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,046 ✭✭✭✭cena

Nope. If the parents didn't sell the family home years ago I could have built on the half-acre of land had at the back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'll let you know in another 40 years, well, 42, possibly 43 next year, and maybe 50 by the time I get to retirement with the way things are going. I don't like to think that far ahead, because I genuinely don't think I'll get to live that long.

Well that's the other way to do it - spend like you're Elton John and then just die before it becomes an issue:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Edgware wrote: »
    That is probably racist but absolutely correct. The Irish want their rights as tenants but not responsibilities

You could almost repeat this about any topic in Ireland.

Wanting all the benefits and none of the responsibilities is very Irish trait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

You could almost repeat this about any topic in Ireland.

Wanting all the benefits and none of the responsibilities is very Irish trait.

Something quite ironic about extolling the benefits of renting to only foreigners because it's less hassle...

Those pesky Irish in ireland demanding things. Tsk Tsk.

Yep.

Own the family home outright. The wife inherited her parents home as well which we rent out.

I also own a block of pre-63 flats. 6 individual units in a red brick. I could live off the income from this alone. Have it rented out to Brazilians. Nice people and don't give me any hassle. I only rent to foreigners now. Irish people just aren't worth the effort.

Talk about a load of ****.

More than happy to reap the benefits of living here, but will only pay that benefit forward to people that aren't Irish.

Not only are you pulling the ladder up after yourself, but then actively working towards punching down on anyone thats irish.

We need more people like you in the country like we need holes in our head. Shameful, whether you feel it or not.

beejee wrote: »
    Talk about a load of ****.

More than happy to reap the benefits of living here, but will only pay that benefit forward to people that aren't Irish.

Not only are you pulling the ladder up after yourself, but then actively working towards punching down on anyone thats irish.

We need more people like you in the country like we need holes in our head. Shameful, whether you feel it or not.

...and this is exactly why dealing with Irish people in the rental sector would break your heart. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 heisenberg123

The bank owns your house. You can't honestly say you own a house until your mortgage is paid off and the deeds are in your hands.

The bank owns your house. You can't honestly say you own a house until your mortgage is paid off and the deeds are in your hands.

Yes, you can. The mortgage provider has an interest in it, but you own it. And having the deeds "in your hands" is neither here nor there.

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    ...and this is exactly why dealing with Irish people in the rental sector would break your heart. :pac:

"dealing" with Irish people in ireland is terrible alright.

You won't see these type of landlords moving to Brazil anytime soon though, will you? Talking out one side of their crooked faces.

I'll only hire Brazilians because it's less hassle than all these Irish with their pesky workers rights and "standards".

Gimme 50 Brazilians that'll keep their traps shut any day of the week, right?

"dealing" with Irish people in ireland is terrible alright...

Dealing with Irish people in Ireland in the rental sector is terrible, because the rules of the game are rigged. That's why former landlords are exiting the sector in droves, and the more various politicians do to "fix" it, the faster they'll leave. I don't know what to make of the rest of that stuff you wrote. Nothing, I expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 heisenberg123

Yes, you can. The mortgage provider has an interest in it, but you own it. And having the deeds "in your hands" is neither here nor there.

An interest? Stop paying your mortgage and see how that "interest" escalates. You're a fool if you think otherwise.

You're just a glorified tenant if you have a mortgage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

"dealing" with Irish people in ireland is terrible alright.

You won't see these type of landlords moving to Brazil anytime soon though, will you? Talking out one side of their crooked faces.

I'll only hire Brazilians because it's less hassle than all these Irish with their pesky workers rights and "standards".

Gimme 50 Brazilians that'll keep their traps shut any day of the week, right?

Or just one tenant who doesn't make unreasonable demands before even signing a lease

I'm not a landlord but I do source tenants from time to time for a family member and in my experience Irish people were more demanding before they even got to view the house, never mind renting it.

FWIW the last 2 tenants sourced were Irish and selected because they were the most suitable over all.

When letting people know that the house was being rented to someone else every person who gave me abuse was Irish (though not every Irish person gave abuse). It's a very small sample obviously but it tarnished my view of dealing with them.

Dealing with Irish people in Ireland in the rental sector is terrible, because the rules of the game are rigged. That's why former landlords are exiting the sector in droves, and the more various politicians do to "fix" it, the faster they'll leave. I don't know what to make of the rest of that stuff you wrote. Nothing, I expect.

So doing things under the table by excluding Irish people is a way to win against the system? Sounds like it.

And then that directly and indirectly pushes the price up for Irish people, who will then demand more scrutinising measures because of rip off prices, which will then turn more landlords off, who will then "exit" or exclude Irish people, which will push up prices, which will mean even more demand for stricter measures, which will mean more land Lords "exit" or go under the table with non Irish people....

The whole situation is ludicrous, and the only group of people with zero agency in this game are Irish renters, yet at the end of the day they are the people who pay the price.

Long story short, I have no respect for wannabe slum lords, doubly so for those that advertise that they take from Irish people and give back to anyone BUT Irish people.

So doing things under the table by excluding Irish people is a way to win against the system? Sounds like it.

And then that directly and indirectly pushes the price up for Irish people, who will then demand more scrutinising measures because of rip off prices, which will then turn more landlords off, who will then "exit" or exclude Irish people, which will push up prices, which will mean even more demand for stricter measures, which will mean more land Lords "exit" or go under the table with non Irish people....

The whole situation is ludicrous, and the only group of people with zero agency in this game are Irish renters, yet at the end of the day they are the people who pay the price.

Long story short, I have no respect for wannabe slum lords, doubly so for those that advertise that they take from Irish people and give back to anyone BUT Irish people.

As you wish. It makes literally no difference to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I own my own place and don’t have a mortgage. I’m lucky in ways.

An interest? Stop paying your mortgage and see how that "interest" escalates. You're a fool if you think otherwise.

The Land Registry seem to think I own the place freehold and fee-simple, despite the bank's involvement. :pac:

As you wish. It makes literally no difference to me.

I don't doubt that it makes no difference to you. Especially if you engage in the likes of the above.

I could go and shoite in my garden like an animal every day of the week. If I don't care about it, its no less of an embarrassment and disgrace.

I don't doubt that it makes no difference to you. Especially if you engage in the likes of the above.

I could go and shoite in my garden like an animal every day of the week. If I don't care about it, its no less of an embarrassment and disgrace.

I'm not a landlord. Haven't been for some years. When I was, I did make a point as far as possible of not dealing with arseholes, right enough. Live long, and prosper! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Can a tenant sell the house they are renting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Ush1 wrote: »
    Can a tenant sell the house they are renting?

Exactly.

Can a tenant paint the house any colour they want?
    Can a tenant put in a new kitchen?
    Can a tenant make up their own rules (smoking/pets/students etc)
    Can a tenant install a satellite dish?
    Can a tenant guarantee living their for the rest of their life?
    Can a tenant stop paying rent once the price of the house has been paid?

I own my own home. The interest my bank has is that they can ask a court to give them possession of my house (after considerable time and bureaucracy) if I start taking the piss and refuse to pay back the money I borrowed from them.

dotsman wrote: »
    ...I own my own home. The interest my bank has is that they can ask a court to give them possession of my house (after considerable time and bureaucracy) if I start taking the piss and refuse to pay back the money I borrowed from them.

Correct. If you didn't own the house, it wouldn't be much use to the bank as security on the mortgage, would it? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Interesting to see nearly 450 responses and 75% owning property. Once you're on that ladder you look at life a little bit differently, even if you are paying off a mortgage in the long run if it's the property you live in the value of it is likely to appreciate even with inflation over the long term but it won't really matter to you in the short term. I was speaking to a pal who bought a few years back, has a high 200k morgage on a house that has now appreciated to be worth mid 400k, and he's trying to tell his missus to cool it on selling the gaff to "trade up", as he says to a bigger mortgage.

The obsession with investing in further properties amuses me, however. The returns on property aren't actually that great versus equities and there's a lot more hassle in managing your investment if you're a landlord.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Yes. Bought last year. A rural doer-upper.

No end of legal and planning issues; but we're happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Interesting to see nearly 450 responses and 75% owning property. Once you're on that ladder you look at life a little bit differently, even if you are paying off a mortgage in the long run if it's the property you live in the value of it is likely to appreciate even with inflation over the long term but it won't really matter to you in the short term. I was speaking to a pal who bought a few years back, has a high 200k morgage on a house that has now appreciated to be worth mid 400k, and he's trying to tell his missus to cool it on selling the gaff to "trade up", as he says to a bigger mortgage.

The obsession with investing in further properties amuses me, however. The returns on property aren't actually that great versus equities and there's a lot more hassle in managing your investment if you're a landlord.

Equities aren't that attractive in Ireland thanks to the government, there is a 41% exit charge on funds and you must sell after eight years

Equities are better for those smart enough to stock pick individual companies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭wench

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Equities aren't that attractive in Ireland thanks to the government, there is a 41% exit charge on funds and you must sell after eight years
    You don't have to sell after 8 years.
    Every 8 years you will be taxed on any gains.
    Then when you eventually do sell up, your liability will be offset by what you've already paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Have a few places in Dublin and a few down in Clare also. Currently selling most of the stuff in Dublin and would advise people who bought at the low end of the market to seriously consider it. The big gains have probably been made by now. Not convinced there will be losses or anything, but concerns about rent caps etc, government just making a bollocks out of things.

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Equities are better for those smart enough to stock pick individual companies

As wench says, it's a little bit different. You can also tax efficiently invest by maximising your pension (after all, don't a lot of people talk about the value in their property being their "nest egg" for older age). Tax free on the way in and huge tax advantages on the way out with the lump sum etc. And yes you could just stock pick and effectively build a portfolio that follows the market - it's more normal in the US for individuals to manage their own wealth this way, for example, and there are platforms here that allow you to do it at lower cost than the typical brokerages charge.

Property is a national obsession but not actually a sound investment strategy. That being said, I own my home! But if I was thinking about where and how to park other monies, back into property is not the first port.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,001 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Own a house and for a while had another, which I was renting out after we moved to the current one.

I had a great tenant and 10 years left on that mortgage. But I didn't like the hassle of tax returns, worry about damage, my tenant leaving and getting troublesome ones, etc. So I sold up.

That was 10 years ago. Had I stuck it out, I'd now own it.

Ah well...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Property is a national obsession but not actually a sound investment strategy. That being said, I own my home! But if I was thinking about where and how to park other monies, back into property is not the first port.

I was reading an article last week which talked about Swiss and German bankers taking out their cash from savings accounts due to negative interest rates and having to pay to save. Most of them are redirecting their money into equities and property. If interest rates stay as low as they are now, and with mortgages costing almost nothing, I can see a lot of people investing in property over the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,001 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As long as you buy at the right time, property can be a great investment.

But like all, they can go up and down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Anybody who owns a but to let property is morally wrong and a leech on society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

In AH everyone is a leech on society.

Local authorities are big into it - I couldn't agree more! :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I agree!
    All 2nd home owners or BTL owners should demolish their properties and let the government house everyone!

The market clearly isn't working so let's actually literally knock it down and start again.
    Those damned BTL owners making fortunes off the packs of the exploited proletariat!

Tower block apartments for everyone who doesn't have a house and community gardens all round!

Simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Why? If someone has worked hard to buy a second property why shouldn't they be able to reap some benefit? Constitutional right to earn a livelihood, property etc. And let's not forget the massive tax paid on rental income which is propping up the government.

jester77 wrote: »
    I was reading an article last week which talked about Swiss and German bankers taking out their cash from savings accounts due to negative interest rates and having to pay to save. Most of them are redirecting their money into equities and property. If interest rates stay as low as they are now, and with mortgages costing almost nothing, I can see a lot of people investing in property over the next few years.

You should always aim to have some cash on hand for emergencies, but if you're saving large amounts then yes you should be trying to park it in places that will actually grow. Again, if you have a 3-6 month window in the bank and are saving further you should ask yourself if you're maximising the tax relief on your pension for example.

Cool. And how do you feel about institutional investors who build properties to let? Is it anyone who profits from investing their cash into property you have a problem with or just individuals? Should the state pay for every new build? The money a buy to let person invests in the market spurs on demand to supply more. But the trend in Ireland you'll be happy to know is for individuals getting out of buy to let. But now we moan about "vulture funds".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

That’s rubbish talk. Without the private rental market imagine how things would be.

We’ve been renting out a house for a while now
    Had one set of tenants who left the place in a state, it took me 12days straight to repair,clean and paint the place for following tenants.

House has always been rented below market rates because steady tenants are more important time than revenue, once it pays the mortgage and repair bills I’m happy. Currently rented for€650 when most similar properties are €850+

Don’t plan to sell it if it keeps going as is, the plan is it’s an inheritance for one of my kids as a start in life. So I will se absolutely no personal return from the work of owning and managing the rental of the house. But good tenants seriously reduce the management so it’s fine.

We’re not wealthy but hard working, there will be no cash sum to leave so this way we see we can have something to pass on to give the next generation a leg up. Both kids will get a ~3200sq ft detached house on an acre site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Lol!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭UI_Paddy

I'm a long way off from owning, but it's my ultimate goal at this point in my life to one day have a mortgage on a house paid off. The investment side isn't that important to me as my priority will always be to have a place to pass on to any kids I may have to ensure they have that security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Oh, please explain that idiotic reasoning.

Leech on society my hole

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mushymoo

In Ireland, not aiming to own is hard to fathom, renting is unsustainable, even for two job families. low income families or single income people forced out of rentals now. many forced to live on sofas or move in with elderly parents. young families forced out of rentals into homeless accommodation and its worse year on year. it is skewed now. the building is too slow. rents too high.

not owning seems risky, but renting is becoming impossible. we now have homeless people and children who would never have been homeless before.

for one income households, renting is just unaffordable. to own a home, obviously you must have savings and with current rents, it now takes too long to save it up. one ends up paying more to rent and saving less, stuck in a way.

to want to own seems big irish thing, for most of us, its our aim. But that can go wrong, even with good education, savings and a job...... For e.g.

As for most young 20somethings, wanted to own, saved through my 20s after a degree and good job, had 20k in savings for a deposit, then at 29, life altered my plans. a split relationship and unexpected/unplanned pregnancy. for women, plans to own can be radically changed by having children or partners walking away from a relationship. it can change everything. be aware.

In Ireland, childcare issues hamper womens ability to house themselves or get a job/future pension. woman can own if single without children, and with a partner yes, if they both have savings. but if a women is left alone, afraid she is not going to find having a roof over her head easy to sustain.

we are stuck in a timewarp with women, work and children. thats why the mother and child often get the family home after a split. if its sold, both parents have to manage with less, its the way our system is set up but it needs to change. men cannot afford to rent bedsits. but women have had to give up work when becoming mums, cannot fund childcare to work now, so cannot fund a new home either. yet its the children who will suffer too, without a secure home, if both cannot pay their share to find a home. so there needs to be something changed with the laws of property rights and family law too.

Me, I was unable to source childcare to keep job going, i refused bank trying to force mortgage on me in 2004, me to commit to a 35 year mortgage as a single mum with no ability to work and mind child or pay to keep a job would be CRAZY (so would have had house seized off me!). sensibly, said no and stayed on rent allowance. i wanted badly to own but knew i could not do so.

i campaigned with womens groups for affordable childcare since 2004 (give up now, it is never going to happen, silly little schemes will never work, needs radical investment in ireland). as childcare never became affordable, even with schoolterms as child grew older, stuck living on benefits (father unwilling to pay his 50% so forced to rent using said 20k to top up rent allowance, state help despite the rhetoric NEVER covered rent then, even harder now). as a mum without a steady job, i understand -theres never gonna be my chance to own.

The thing is, all parents will struggle if they work and pay rent AND childcare, they can't do it. unless family mind child for free. and same with two low income workers. one income homes 100% unable to buy a home now, unless they do not have children ever. unlike other OECD countries.

not everyone is able to work in wellpaid secure jobs or get a degree. people are wont to do what they can to suvive, even cheat the system. couples say they are not couples but "single" parents, lie to get state help and manage it. a lot of fathers walk away and leave women and children in homeless accommodation here. people save and work cash in hand to get a deposit.

its impossible to pay childcare to work and fend for oneself and buy a house or rent now. if one has a bad breakup and left holding the baby, society blames all single mothers for being in that situation, without courts making fathers to pay up, pointless. it doesn't help parents make an effort to get back to work, some parents were not planning to be broke or homeless, couples split, condoms split, contraception fails, jobs lost, people become ill....things happen. ....not having children might not guarantee one can buy ever either, rents way too high now, even for single people to get 20 or 30k in savings for a deposit.

not everyone inherits a family home or gets deposit from the parents either.

actually young AND old struggle even to rent now. if grandparents haven't taken them in or childmind for them to work, families likely end up homeless sharing with parents or kicked out eventually. rent allowance and RAS (and later HAP) landlords don't want children either (I moved 4 times 2004-2016 to cheaper to find a home). with only one child, struggled to rent until 2016, and rents WAY higher past 3 years... had NO OPTION but to beg for a council home (or share with teenage son in grandparents small boxroom).

If we can build on state owned land, cap rents and introduce affordable childcare (so people can work and rent then save to buy), more could have a home, more could safely rent or buy a home eventually. things in housing are worng on every level right now. ireland as a whole would improve. more people can own a home and have security for later in life. we are asking for trouble the way home ownership, rents, childcare and housing is right now.

now 45 looking to work (after some upskilling and short PT work and volunteering while possible), cannot save a deposit so will never own and hoping can get some small pension with a job.

owning is better in Ireland, count yourself lucky to have a home and more than one to have a pension and financial security. if one has life circumstamces change, in ireland owning can be a blessing if one can pay mortgage.

dunno how older people who still rent will survive in later years, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I’m in me stepdad’s bungalow. It shall be mine, oh yes..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

PBP voter eh ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Yes. Own our home. Paid it off 6 years ago. Have never rented so missed that 'experience'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

What's your view on

1. Owning one property and living in it.
    2. Owning a car
    3. Having private health insurance
    4. Wearing a suit going to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭victor8600

What's your view on

Wearing a suit means trying to con a customer by selling your image and not the product itself. Or else trying to set yourself apart from the working masses. In any case, I would be really suspicious :cool:

Antares35 wrote: »
    Why? If someone has worked hard to buy a second property why shouldn't they be able to reap some benefit? Constitutional right to earn a livelihood, property etc. And let's not forget the massive tax paid on rental income which is propping up the government.

Parasites, whose only qualification is that they were lucky enough (or were given money by their parents) to own not just their house but another one, then they use people less fortunate than them who are stuck renting to pay the mortgage on their second house so that they give their spoilt brats a present of a house they don't deserve and start the cycle again.

What's your view on

1. Owning one property and living in it.
    2. Owning a car
    3. Having private health insurance

1. Great
    2. Grand but public transport should be free
    3. Grand but health care should be free
    4. No strong view on this

• Advertisement
Advertisement