Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Modogames - Scam Three Network

Options
  • 10-09-2019 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Has anyone received text messages from Modogames?

I got a few today and they have drained my prepaid credit.

Any advice on how to stop it in future?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

SauNewb wrote: »
    Has anyone received text messages from Modogames?

I got a few today and they have drained my prepaid credit.

Any advice on how to stop it in future?

Reply to any unwanted texts with "STOP". Contact your network provider to complain and ask them to add a bar to your phone to stop unwanted premium rate text messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Jacxel

Hi, I have received the same message and been charged 20 euro, I didn't sign up for any such charge. I messaged STOP straight away, did you manage to get a refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ildanny

Hi, same problem, same scammer.
    I sent immediately the message "STOP", but still, after few hours, I received 8 messages that costed me 20€.
    I used the form on their website to get a refund, but I received nothing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭the Lamb Post

ildanny wrote: »
    I used the form on their website to get a refund, but I received nothing yet.

Hi, can you let mew know what form this is? Wife's phone just got messages and I've cancelled it online, but possibly need to follow up.

Thanks in advance.

How can you be charged for receiving messages?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

How can you be charged for receiving messages?

It's within Comreg's power to ban reverse charge texts (which is what these texts are) but they don't. AFAIK the sender is supposed to send a notification text informing that it's a subscription service and how much and how often and get a confirmation text back before they start charging but it's questionable whether they get consent from everyone they charge.

Ah, so the user has signed up for something previously but is now getting charged for something they no longer want?
    It doesn't really make that clear in the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Thierry

Same issue, here. Got the following message:
    FreeMsg: U have joined ModoGames.club for 28 days access for Euro 20 (8x Euro 2.50 msgs). Help? 0768889722 SP: http://portal.modogames.club at 22:03 Saturday, while I was with friends and not using any games, or internet sites that night!

I saw the message only the day after, (Sunday morning) and after research on line, sent a STOP to the number.

I am on a contract with three.ie so I will not know if I have been charged until next bill arrives.

I have sent an email to the email address on that service:

<<<
    Dear Sir or Madam,

I have received a SMS on my mobile phone from code 57977 for a 28 day subscription to ModoGames.club on the 14 December 2019 at 22:28.

"FreeMsg: U have joined ModoGames.club for 28 days access for Euro 20 (8x Euro 2.50 msgs). Help? 0768889722 SP: http://portal.modogames.club"
    at
    I have sent a STOP message to your service
    I have never asked for such services so I would like to get a refund of the 20euros charged to my account.
    my mobile number is: +353 xxxxxxxx and I am a 3 (three.ie) customer.

Please refund me to any amount you have charged me.

Kind regards,

>>>

Now waiting to see if I get charged / refund/ etc,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Berserker5

You can switch off your fone and do your topups and buy add-ons on the computer as a stopgap

Won't stop any remaining credit being used though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Try calling 3 customer service and they should be able to tell you if you've been charged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭emy

Following this thread with the same issue. I have been using the sim card as hotspot, feeding the house with online stuff. I have checked the messages via modem and being stunned of the messages I have received from modogames, without my will (lost 20 euro so far). I have spoken 3three being advised to request the refund from them. I have already sent an email to see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Keep us updated with how you get on with 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

emy wrote: »
    Following this thread with the same issue. I have been using the sim card as hotspot, feeding the house with online stuff. I have checked the messages via modem and being stunned of the messages I have received from modogames, without my will (lost 20 euro so far). I have spoken 3three being advised to request the refund from them. I have already sent an email to see how it goes.

It's somebody browsing in the house. Three allow a lookup based on connection so clicking ads etc is enough. That's "fine" if it's one user per SIM but when you share your service then things go awry.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭emy

ED E wrote: »
    It's somebody browsing in the house. Three allow a lookup based on connection so clicking ads etc is enough. That's "fine" if it's one user per SIM but when you share your service then things go awry.
    I do not think, browsing can cause getting these unwanted texts. The problem is with the network, our numbers are deliberately given away to the third party companies, therefore we are getting these messages.
    By the way, I just got refund, but, not from Modogames, nor pfi.me, but from Red27Mobile they are the content provider.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The numbers were given away because someone clicked a link while browsing. And Comreg ridiculously thinks that's entirely Ok

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Their should be loads of politicians on the doorstep over the next while. Perhaps it's time to start annoying them about this in the hopes that one of them might take it seriously enough to change the regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Farrelk

Just got stung with this, can't even reply to them cause we've no credit. Anyone recommend a next move?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Happened to me a while back when I was on Three but they were from a Fitness Guru. Something I didnt sign up to at the time.

Three themselves weren't much of a help but I contacted and continued to contact the company that the messages came from and eventually got my money back from the company via PayPal as "gesture of goodwill".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

Farrelk wrote: »
    Just got stung with this, can't even reply to them cause we've no credit. Anyone recommend a next move?

Happened me yesterday also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

If people make continuous complaints to comreg AND their local tds, something might eventually be done.

Comreg really don't give a damn. They tell you to contact the company (they give a list of contacts) and only if they refuse a refund will comreg get involved.

As these con companies know the system they provide an immediate refund to the very few that complain and make a fortune from those who don't notice.

You can contact your provider and request that all premium numbers are blocked. It's instant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement