Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Cruise

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Cant tell you the reason but Royal Caribbean are pulling out of San Juan(Peurto Rica) this year, according to Mrs Skooter. Can you check out "Perfect day at Coco Cay" on CruiseTipsTV?

Royal Carribean really tie you in with the loyalty packages.
    Yeah they were playing videos like that on the TV screen in the cabin, I have heard good things about Perfect Day at Coco Cay though. Ideally if it's just your ship docked in and having the place to yourself.
    I follow the Cruise subreddit over on Reddit and there can be mixed reviews of places like San Juan, Nassau, Roatan, Grand Cayman. Same with some of the Jamaican ports like Falmouth, Montego Bay, Ochos Rios - people usually comment they are a bit dodgy and often just stay on the ship. Personally would definitely still get off for a look around, would be a waste otherwise!

Royal Caribbean tend to change up places if their feedback and statistics are showing cruisers found a particular stop boring/unsafe or whatever. I remember we stopped at Port Vila in Vanuatu a few years ago and it's a bit of a dive tbh. Fairly rundown and looks like no maintenance or upgrades in anything in 20 years. I notice RC don't tend to stop there anymore and that itinerary usually now has Mystery Island, Vanuatu.

Yeah RC know what they're doing with the "Next Cruise" thing, they're good at getting people back in and it works as you always see people throwing down their deposit for the next one!
    I would like to try Carnival, MSC or one of the other cruise lines at some point though just to compare with RC.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ye might as well enjoy them while ye can, unless Musk can come up with some super green cruise ship powered by the sun, sea, wind and seagull sheite, cruise ships will eventually be a thing of the past due to the pollution they cause.

"The US EPA estimates that a 3000 person cruise ship generates 210.000 gallons of sewage weekly. In 2014 cruise ships dumped more than 1 billion gallons of untreated sewage into the ocean. CO2 emissions of a cruise ship is more than 1000 times greater then a train journey."

Not my thing anyway, if the seasickness didn't get me, the people probably would. I think there are far better holidays to be spending that kind of money on!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The Antarctic cost serious bucks like €10k. They only do smaller ships and you have to cross the drake straits which are either calm or choppy, no middle ground.

I don't think my Mobility Allowance would run to that !

And like others, I am a loner and prefer to organise my own way and my own time.. The fact of being tied to a boat..

Not that I will ever go anywhere but down the lane here!

If you enjoy it GREAT. I mean that

Myself and missus went from San Francisco to Miami via the Panama canal.
    Took 18 days or so.
    There were no kids on the ship.it was one of the best holidays we ever took.very chilled trip.
    Mexico, Guatamala,costs Rica ,Panama ,Colombia were some of the stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Myself and missus went from San Francisco to Miami via the Panama canal.
    Took 18 days or so.
    There were no kids on the ship.it was one of the best holidays we ever took.very chilled trip.
    Mexico, Guatamala,costs Rica ,Panama ,Colombia were some of the stops.

What sort of money if you don’t mind me asking is that going to set back two people ? Sounds brilliant just wary of the cost, the couple I’ve done have just been a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I could not imagine a worse holiday than being stuck on a massive cruise ship. The whole concept is quite disgusting.

I thought the same before I went on one. It was nothing like what I expected. Went on another a few years later and currently booking one for later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

If we all just stayed at home nothing would happen.

Nobody said that?

Also the fact there's no legal requirement for lifeguards on board even if it has 10 pools? Would you want to bring kids to that?

Just stating why I hate the idea of cruises, like the way you've been allowed to state why you like them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

mlem123 wrote: »
    Nobody said that?

Also the fact there's no legal requirement for lifeguards on board even if it has 10 pools? Would you want to bring kids to that?

Just stating why I hate the idea of cruises, like the way you've been allowed to state why you like them

Well on Royal Caribbean there were life guards on duty and rotated regularly, so that s not true .

Graces7 wrote: »
    I don't think my Mobility Allowance would run to that !

And like others, I am a loner and prefer to organise my own way and my own time.. The fact of being tied to a boat..

Not that I will ever go anywhere but down the lane here!

If you enjoy it GREAT. I mean that

The Stock Market is collapsing this morning. A great time to invest and make money.

Strumms wrote: »
    What sort of money if you don’t mind me asking is that going to set back two people ? Sounds brilliant just wary of the cost, the couple I’ve done have just been a week.

We did a whole wedding on a total budget of €8k but that was all in with wedding and drinks package and dinner one night for 10 people Italian Dining.
    Now we had a balcony and mini suite. I am sure you can get inside cabin or one that has no windows. because you spend so little time in your cabin. Then where you want to go? Caribbean Asian should be mid coast. Hawaiian Arctic and Antarctic would be most expensive. Med should be cheapest. Then there is the choice of ship. there is also the season you go in.

Watch Cruise tips TV for three months before you start making decisions. Make sure you get in writing that you have pre purchased a drinks package, no verbal.

• Advertisement

Ye might as well enjoy them while ye can, unless Musk can come up with some super green cruise ship powered by the sun, sea, wind and seagull sheite, cruise ships will eventually be a thing of the past due to the pollution they cause.

Its actually getting more popular! More and bigger ships are being built and ordered as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I used work on the ro-ro many years back so would spend a week on, week off working on the boats - loved it. I’d be just bit worried about getting stuck with people or not being to lose people you wanted to shake on a cruiser - thAt would be my big worry.

A few people I know have gone on royal carribben and my brother went on an Alaskan one aNd a CarribbeN one and they all were wildly enthuiastic - and these men are not given to enthuiasm normally!

OP - my brother did his Alaska cruise ex USA and it was extremely affordable - might be worth a google. His photos were incredible - I am white with envy.

Advertisement