Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s the story with life coaches?

Options
  • 25-01-2020 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

More of these life coaches popping up around the place. What is the story with them exactly and can they actually make a living from this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

More of these life coaches popping up around the place. What is the story with them exactly and can they actually make a living from this?

The first part of your statement answers the second of your two questions...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Depends on the life coach.

Most pander to the desperate young/not so young insecure men types who have been brainwashed by society or themselves that they can't get ahead or get the date and so they need a big bag of tricks/quick solutions to get same often by way of ****ty clickbait titles and ads on YouTube by said coaches.

There are a handful of 'life coaches' that are genuinely a rock of sense and people who have been there, done that before. Naturally people who have more life experience than you will have some credibility and advice to share with others and that's fine.

It's the quick fix guys I have an issue with; most often just a slightly more refined version of that horrific Red Pill nonsense. For a fee of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

They help you do more press ups.

If I want to pay some chancer to tell me how to run my own life I will.

The most hilarious aspect of the entire notion, is that it is completely unquantifiable, there is no way of measuring its' effectiveness.

A total load of bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Life coaches are just people telling others what to do.
    I have a wife for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Shower of chancers. Like nutritionists, mindfulness practitioners, and herbalists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,048 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

They were a fad pre 08 when the country was awash with money that noone knew how to spend it.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

For every good one there are a dozen, where reading a self-help book would have the same effect. There is an element of the placebo affect at work but some embrace the belief that someone else can provide the answers to the woes in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I came up with the theory that Life coaching is some sort of pyramid scheme. The OG lifecoach coaches people that might or might not feel better but are so enlightened now that they feel they can totally do this too and become lifecoaches themselves.
    In the end we will all end up coaching each other with the money just circulating in the lifecoach scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

There is a fool born every minute and for every group of fools there is someone making money off of them, e.g. Healy-Raes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

There are a lot of charlatans, but if I got a recommendation for a good one I’d consider it. We go to financial advisors, career coaches, personal trainers etc because they can offer us advice and expertise on a particular topic, but what if your problem is “I feel a bit lost in life and I don’t know what steps to take to get some clarity”

There are threads of that nature over in PI every week.

Most people who made New Year’s resolutions have probably forgotten them by now, but if you were sitting down with someone once a week to talk about your goals and how to achieve them, the support and accountability would likely help.

People are so quick to judge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Why do sports athletes have coaches? They only play a game of sport.

Why not have a qualified coach to help you at the game of life?

Naturally there will be some "life coaches" who call themselves that after doing a weekend course online but on the other side there will be qualified, knowledgeable coaches who can help you excel in whatever area of life your looking to improve in.

Haven't tried one myself but I'm open minded enough to not rule one out if I felt I needed one.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Why not have a qualified coach to help you at the game of life?
    Life is not a game.
    Worst simile ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

biko wrote: »
    I have a wife for that.
    Okay, boomer.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Whestsidestory

I would have an open mind as said previously we spend a lot of money and time getting advice on fitness diet etc and then see a bit of life coaching as a fad. Would definitely think they have something to offer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Life is not a game.
    Worst simile ever.

62000 posts over 15 years.

If life's not a game, why spend so much of it online typing on a keyboard, seems like a sad existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Esse85 wrote: »
    62000 posts over 15 years.

If life's not a game, why spend so much of it online typing on a keyboard, seems like a sad existence.

Pretty uncalled for I would say.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Okay, boomer.

I think life coaches could be a great assistance to some people. Such as those making statements via usernames and fad-phrases instead of through meaningful, considered, intelligent discourse.

Of course, life coaches used to be known simply as Mam and Dad, but there are clearly many in need of some direction now they’re suffering the consequences of crap parenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

I have a wife for that.

Wife coach :p

I have a wife for that.

Only difference being the life coach uses positive motivation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Only difference being the life coach uses positive motivation.

Nothing like a good kick up the hole when you need it from the one who knows you best :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

fine in theory but just too open to charlatanism. we killed god leaving a lot of people with emptiness and seeking answers. not everyone is a rock of composed self reliance, “The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

All you need is a generous dose of Jordan peterson on YouTube. Cheaper too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Very effective in the fight agin MMTS (more money than sense).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

reminds me of recent netflix documentary on netflix Tony robinson, guy own private jet tons of properties and can run 1mill for consulation and is booked for years ahead.

Now way i see it most of stuff he does would be a bit of BS, sure you dont need anyone to tell your fcked up if you have issues, then again, nothing against it if people get any kick or help from it dont see any harm, its better then some influencer type crap that many seem as norm nowadays.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Okay, boomer.
    “‘Boomer’ is the n-word of ageism you hate speecher you

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

LirW wrote: »
    I came up with the theory that Life coaching is some sort of pyramid scheme. The OG lifecoach coaches people that might or might not feel better but are so enlightened now that they feel they can totally do this too and become lifecoaches themselves.
    In the end we will all end up coaching each other with the money just circulating in the lifecoach scene.

You’re not wrong. In fact, you’re spot on :D

Two of my brothers have become life coaches recently, both awful pains in the arse, painful to listen to, but I can imagine the kind of person they appeal to who imagines themselves at the very same kind of craic with all the buzzword loaded narratives.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

They seem like a good idea if they're a good one, as someone said. Different people will have heard of things you haven't, or have the lack of emotional involvement to be able to frame a clear plan for you, etc
    Probably there's way more to it than i know about also

Advertisement