Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many push-ups can you do?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

SSr0 wrote: »
    Pretty sure over 40's do a modified push up in the army too i.e on their knees

Its optional for men over 40's and women of all ages, but so far as I know if you do a modified push up regardless how many you do you just get a pass (which is grade IV or V, can't remember which). That can affect whether you get career courses & oversea's missions.

The video I posted has the modified push up and sit up for over 40's men and women.

Since there's an issue being made of my age in the interests of clarity over 50's (I'm 53) are exempt from push ups, sit ups and running but very few avail of this option

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Modified push ups ������ . You left that bit out. No you’re trying to muddy the waters mentioning exemptions. You either did proper push ups or you didn’t. Which is it? Somebody else better ask because conveniently he won’t be replying to me.
    So much for straight talking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

haha! ya brat! :D:D

(of to google army pushups manual :pac::pac:)

Anyone who can't do push ups but would like to try well an app developer Fitness22 has a 0-100 push up programme which takes you from someone who can't do a single push up to someone who can do 100 in a ten week programme.

I've never used this programme but I've coached 0-5km groups using their C25K app, its free and highly recommended for the non runner so I'd imagine their 0-100 push up app is just as good.

I've used their 5-10k (when coming back from injury) and 10 to half marathon apps for my own training, they're a brilliant developer.

haha! ya brat! :D:D

(of to google army pushups manual :pac::pac:)

No idea why its not embedding now, but there's a video posted on post number 61

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Jaysis Mak is getting lashed out of it :pac:

I have regularly perfromed 60/70+ push ups in 60 seconds in the past. It's not extraordinary, quite common in the job and yes with proper form. It's a by product of doing push ups every day....you get good at them.

There were days when you may end up doing 300+ push ups a day but thats when you were a young lad and had been bold.

Can I do 60+ now? No. Do I see other lads doing it? Yes.

People saying others cant do 60/70+ in 60 seconds must be just weak lazy bastards.

Of course it can be done. Just not by everyone who says they can do it.
    I think we both know what’s going on here but you don’t want to hang your pal out to dry!

Jaysis Mak is getting lashed out of it :pac:

I have regularly perfromed 60/70+ push ups in 60 seconds in the past. It's not extraordinary, quite common in the job and yes with proper form. It's a by product of doing push ups every day....you get good at them.

There were days when you may end up doing 300+ push ups a day but thats when you were a young lad and had been bold.

Can I do 60+ now? No. Do I see other lads doing it? Yes.

People saying others cant do 60/70+ in 60 seconds must be just weak lazy bastards.

Getting lashed out of it by an internet nobody too :o

I can't live with the shame of it.

Haven't trained push ups in ages, but off the top of my head I'd easily manage 40 or 50 plus, but I'd be up at 60 very quickly.

I'm training for a triathlon at the moment so push ups aren't high on my list of things to train for.

shutup wrote: »
    Of course it can be done. Just not by everyone who says they can do it.
    I think we both know what’s going on here but you don’t want to hang your pal out to dry!

Well I have never seen Mak do his fitness test so I wont say he did.

All I can say is that I have done it in the past and I see others do it on a weekly basis, its no big deal.

If you have never seen it or never done it, well I can only suggest doing a push up programme for a few weeks/months to see what you can achieve. Instead of talking bollox, why not test yourself instead of being jealous.

You havent told us how many you can/cant do.

Push ups are a daily occurrence in a soldiers life for a big chunk of their career. Now, not everyone can do 60/70 in a minute, some can some cant but its not unusual to see it at all.

I'd probably only get 15 proper ones in 60 seconds in my current shape. Lack of practice and a double shoulder injury.

What is an internet nobody? Someone who doesn’t spend years building up a false persona online.
    You lied. You got called out. You started name calling. You refused to engage. You tried to change the subject. You are the nobody because you deceive people on boards about who you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

How much more than 9 did he get?

Read back and you'll find out.

No need for a childish dig.

Well I have never seen Mak do his fitness test so I wont say he did.

All I can say is that I have done it in the past and I see others do it on a weekly basis, its no big deal.

Yeah its something I wouldn't even pass remark at in work.

We're probably one of the only jobs in the country whereby you can be let go by not meeting a physical fitness standard, although I'm an old bastard on the old contract.. They'd have to fire me out of a circus cannon to force me out the gate :pac:

Btw one of the lads just got silver in the European Brazilian Jiu Jitsu championships yesterday, in his 50's too and easily manages 60 push ups.. The guy is a Duracell Bunny though.

What is an internet nobody? Someone who doesn’t spend years building up a false persona online.
    You lied. You got called out. You started name calling. You refused to engage. You tried to change the subject. You are the nobody because you deceive people on boards about who you are.

Who says he lied?

I know Mak and he is who he says he is, youre coming across as a butthurt mentaller :pac:

Why are you getting mad that he can do more push ups than you? :pac:

Just to expand on this. This is correct but it gives you an automatic Grade 4.

Anyone looking to go on a course, get a new contract, travel overseas or get promoted needs a Grade 3. A Grade 1 is the top grade, goes G1-G5.

That means no modified push ups/sit ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I think push-ups are over rated. Pull-ups are a better overall exercise.

Just to expand on this. This is correct but it gives you an automatic Grade 4.

Anyone looking to go on a course, get a new contract, travel overseas or get promoted needs a Grade 3. A Grade 1 is the top grade, goes G1-G5.

That means no modified push ups/sit ups.

And I just have to show up with a heart beat now :D

Ush1 wrote: »

Pull-ups are easy, I can do 500+ in a minute PROVE ME WRONG :D

Pull-ups and Burpee's are the real killers

All joking aside, push ups are just a test of local muscular endurance and have their place in fitness tests.

Pull ups are genuinely very hard, and burpee's are an PT's way of showing you who's boss.

The were originally developed by the US marines to simulate a soldiers movement in the field where he might find himself under fire and shifting position swiftly. Most civilians don't need them, 'nor can do them correctly.

I like them in Judo, BJJ and MMA classes.. Not so much in Judo these days as a Judoka isn't allowed to leg grab anymore but in BJJ & MMA burpee's are great for developing a fighters sprawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Ush1 wrote: »

That's great news, 'cos I do them every morning. Unmodified- grab waistband, pull!

@Signor fancy pants. First of all why do you keep insulting me? I was never aggressive with anyone. I just asked some questions.
    Second, you are Irish and about 50 and you’re using the expression “butthurt”. Jesus Christ! That is pretty pathetic mate.
    I’m not getting mad about anyone doing more than me. I’m getting mad at yet another boards thread full of lies. This happens all the time. Recently it was pull ups. Most people, not just your mate, are full of **** and it annoys me.

@Signor fancy pants. First of all why do you keep insulting me? I was never aggressive with anyone. I just asked some questions.
    Second, you are Irish and about 50 and you’re using the expression “butthurt”. Jesus Christ! That is pretty pathetic mate.
    I’m not getting mad about anyone doing more than me. I’m getting mad at yet another boards thread full of lies. This happens all the time. Recently it was pull ups. Most people, not just your mate, are full of **** and it annoys me.

Im 38.

Well myself and Mak have told no lies, there's nothing to be gained by it. It's not like we say we have done 5000 underwater pushups surrounded by Pirahna fish while wearing a bait belt and holding our breath. Its just push ups ffs.

So you can direct your annoyance at someone who has lied about it. Now, apololgies for using "butthurt" and insulting you.

As for pull ups? Not 1 can I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Pull-ups are easy, I can do 500+ in a minute PROVE ME WRONG :D

Pull-ups and Burpee's are the real killers

All joking aside, push ups are just a test of local muscular endurance and have their place in fitness tests.

Pull ups are genuinely very hard, and burpee's are an PT's way of showing you who's boss.

The were originally developed by the US marines to simulate a soldiers movement in the field where he might find himself under fire and shifting position swiftly. Most civilians don't need them, 'nor can do them correctly.

I like them in Judo, BJJ and MMA classes.. Not so much in Judo these days as a Judoka isn't allowed to leg grab anymore but in BJJ & MMA burpee's are great for developing a fighters sprawl.

Yeah, we do circuits for S&C for kickboxing. After Burpees and pull-ups, the push ups are like a rest round.

Im 38.

We could almost swap ages, because I look younger than you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

You did yeah. You couldn’t do 25 proper ones.
    You’re 50 years old and over 100kg.
    Either you’ve made up this story or the instructors let you away with one inch movement.
    Prove me wrong with a video and I’ll give €100 to a charity of your choice. I’ll send in proof of donation
    Did his chest touch the ground and his arms go fully extended on every single rep?
    If so, that’s great. Fair play to him. He’s in great shape.
    The problem is people doing them wrong and claiming the results.
    How much more than 9 did he get?

@Shutup the above posts are borderline aggressive towards Maki.

Cut it out.

Not directed at anyone - but if anyone is claiming inflated figures and good techniques the only person they are fooling is themselves. Not worth getting in a tizzy over.

Im 38.

Well myself and Mak have told no lies, there's nothing to be gained by it. It's not like we say we have done 5000 underwater pushups surrounded by Pirahna fish while wearing a bait belt and holding our breath. Its just push ups ffs.

So you can direct your annoyance at someone who have lied about it. Now, aplolgies for using "butthurt" and insulting you.

As for pull ups? Not 1 can I do.

Sorry thought you’d be similar age as you sounded like you were recruits together back in the day.

I’d didn’t question anything you said or call you a liar.

I’m not insulted by butthurt. I just hate Americanisms. Nearly as much as liars.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Not directed at anyone - but if anyone is claiming inflated figures and good techniques the only person they are fooling is themselves. Not worth getting in a tizzy over.

That's the truth of it, how did your parkrun go today?.

I beat the world record :pac:

But you're right, if someone is inflating their numbers its silly. But Fancy Pants and myself are in a job where push ups and fitness in general is a part of that job and its the norm to find very fit & healthy soldiers so we get it when civilians think they're spoofing.

There's all sorts of consequences for failing a fitness test in the defence forces. First off there's the slagging from the lads lol.. Then you can be medically downgraded, that has a huge negative effect on your career including losing your job, lack of promotion, loss of oversea's missions and the financial award they bring.

Before all that happens you'll be offered a 4 week health related fitness course to bring you back up to a military standard and pass your fitness test.

So taking all that into account what seems like spoofed up numbers to civilians is run of the mill stuff for lads in the job.

Now its not like that 365 days of the year. Lads like to switch off too, I piled on a few Kgs over the Christmas, other lads are very busy and don't get too much time to train or they might be injured, sick etc but in the weeks before a fitness test they'll be out busting the asses so get a good grade, no one wants grade 4 or 5.

As regards age, some of the fittest soldiers I've seen retired on age grounds!.

Right I've given way too much time to this. I ran my parkrun this morning entirely on the grass and trails, and I'm knackered and need a kip (a senior thing :p )

Fancy Knickers, see you soon :pac:

Sorry thought you’d be similar age as you sounded like you were recruits together back in the day.

I’d didn’t question anything you said or call you a liar.

I’m not insulted by butthurt. I just hate Americanisms. Nearly as much as liars.

Well I still apologise for annoying you. I also hate bullsh1tters, at times I am one, just not today.

Have a good one.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    @Shutup the above posts are borderline aggressive towards Maki.

The first one is just my opinion. I’m allowed question comments. There were no personal attacks there.
    The middle one has nothing to do with him. Think you misunderstood it. I was talking to someone else about his sons push ups.
    The last one was indeed a clever little dig suggesting our hero could only do 9 push ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Auld lads bragging about world record press ups. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Give me a break, the only things being "pushed up" around here are their egos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I’m gona get back into fitness this summer I swear. Rejoin the peloton

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭misterme123

Can manage 30+ before I collapse, but only with push-up bars and no time limit.

Are people who focus on bodybuilding/strength training not able to do as many as less heavily muscular athletes or is it still more about strength than endurance?

Advertisement