20-08-2019, 20:34   #1
WannaGetFit

Wild Camping Tent

So, I am looking for a 2 man tent that will do in the Irish weather all year round, not necessarily snow/ice, not planning on going if there's snow. But needs to hold up in wind and rain. No leaks, no collapsing etc.

I am not sure what weight tent is too much to hike with. Considering 2 to 3 nights at most wild camping.
Looking online I am guessing 4lbs or less is ok. Needs to be light enough for one person to carry, and pack size small enough to fit in 65L pack.

I've looked at loads of tents online and they all sound great at first but then I read the reviews and there's always an issue, like leaks, condensation, etc.

The ones I like are too heavy or too expensive or possibly overkill (would do in snow/ice/everest etc)

Has anyone used any of these.....I realise they are not under 4 lbs but I do like them. There are sooo many, too many to mention.
fjallraven abisko lite 2 or 1
fjallraven abisko shape 2
rejka antao light xl 2
MSR Elixir 2
MSR Hubba tour 2
ANY MSR tent

Would love to hear of other tents others use backpacking in Ireland that don't leak, not too heavy etc etc.

Thanks a lot
Advertisement
20-08-2019, 20:54   #2
flos1964

Have you considered the crua tents? ...certainly claim to handle any weather conditions...maybe heavier than you want but look the part...i would be interested to hear what you think of them ...
20-08-2019, 21:03   #3
WannaGetFit

Quote:
Originally Posted by flos1964 View Post
Have you considered the crua tents? ...certainly claim to handle any weather conditions...maybe heavier than you want but look the part...i would be interested to hear what you think of them ...
I did look at them. Look good alright but was thinking weight is a bit much.
Thanks from:
21-08-2019, 10:54   #4
tphase

Nordisk make some very light tents. I've a Telemark 2, ~1kg without the groundsheet. Single pole design so not a huge amount of room, but that's the trade-off you make to reduce weight
If you shop around, you can find them discounted occasionally. I got mine from outdoorfair.de, but also check sites like bike24.com or asadventure.com
Also take a look at Helsport (friend of mine has one which he's very happy with).

https://nordisk.eu
https://www.helsport.no/produkter/telt?___store=english

I don't like American tents generally as they tend to have too much mesh and I find them cold for our climate.
Don't forget to buy a groundsheet to fit your tent....

Last edited by tphase; 21-08-2019 at 10:56. Reason: added url tags
(2) thanks from:
21-08-2019, 13:55   #5
WannaGetFit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tphase View Post
Nordisk make some very light tents. I've a Telemark 2, ~1kg without the groundsheet. Single pole design so not a huge amount of room, but that's the trade-off you make to reduce weight
If you shop around, you can find them discounted occasionally. I got mine from outdoorfair.de, but also check sites like bike24.com or asadventure.com
Also take a look at Helsport (friend of mine has one which he's very happy with).

https://nordisk.eu
https://www.helsport.no/produkter/telt?___store=english

I don't like American tents generally as they tend to have too much mesh and I find them cold for our climate.
Don't forget to buy a groundsheet to fit your tent....
Thanks. They are interesting options.
Do you have the LW Telemark or ULW? Have you had it out it a good bit of wind and rain? Any leaks?
Do you know which Helsport your friend has?
Advertisement
21-08-2019, 14:18   #6
tphase

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaGetFit View Post
Thanks. They are interesting options.
Do you have the LW Telemark or ULW? Have you had it out it a good bit of wind and rain? Any leaks?
Do you know which Helsport your friend has?
LW Telemark. The ULW version was too rich for my blood

Had it in Scotland in June. Fuc&ing horrendous weather.
Held up to the wind OK, minor issue with condensation which was my own fault (fabric stretches sags a bit when wet as all tents do. Normally you just retension the guys but I was too lazy and the outer made contact with the inner)
no leaks - that's a fairly basic requirement

Mates' Helsport is a Ringstind 2, similar sort of design to the Telemark but a little heavier

Last edited by tphase; 21-08-2019 at 17:22.
21-08-2019, 19:58   #7
WannaGetFit

Quote:
LW Telemark. The ULW version was too rich for my blood

Had it in Scotland in June. Fuc&ing horrendous weather.
Held up to the wind OK, minor issue with condensation which was my own fault (fabric stretches sags a bit when wet as all tents do. Normally you just retension the guys but I was too lazy and the outer made contact with the inner)
no leaks - that's a fairly basic requirement

Mates' Helsport is a Ringstind 2, similar sort of design to the Telemark but a little heavier
Ye, no leaks is a basic requirement. However, reading reviews it seems manufacturers change how the tents are made every few years and sometimes make them worse, have seen reviews saying a 2016 tent was brilliant with no leaks but 2018 was changed and now leaks etc etc.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated
21-08-2019, 20:15   #8

Most half decent tents won't leak as such, at least not when newish and well kept. As mentioned above, water can get in when the wind beats against one side and pushes the outer flysheet against the inner or against you or belongings if no inner. So as long as you keep the outer properly pegged out, with guy ropes if required, then should be fine. The fabric will loosen when wet so you often need to readjust the pegs in wet weather. But then be careful if the wind / sun dries out everything very quickly as the fabric will shrink back and can over tighten.

Used Vango tents for backpacking, mountain camping in Ireland and were fine. But no idea what current models are like.
21-08-2019, 21:12   #9
tphase

Quote:
Ye, no leaks is a basic requirement. However, reading reviews it seems manufacturers change how the tents are made every few years and sometimes make them worse, have seen reviews saying a 2016 tent was brilliant with no leaks but 2018 was changed and now leaks etc etc.
some manufacturers no longer seam seal their tents, you get a tube of Aquaseal with your new tent and instructions on how to seal it yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD2
As mentioned above, water can get in when the wind beats against one side and pushes the outer flysheet against the inner or against you or belongings if no inner.
That's condensation, not water leaking in

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD2
Used Vango tents for backpacking, mountain camping in Ireland and were fine. But no idea what current models are like.
My first tent was a Vango Micro 100, got it in 2000. Still usable though maybe not completely waterproof and the outer would likely disintegrate under any great pressure. Good little tent, well designed and stood up to some serious weather in its' time. There was one that looked like new on sale on Adverts for €60 not too long ago - I'd have been tempted if I hadn't already got my Telemark
Advertisement
21-08-2019, 22:45   #10
WannaGetFit

Vangos seem a bit heavy for hiking, no?
22-08-2019, 08:20   #11
tphase

Quote:
Vangos seem a bit heavy for hiking, no?
how heavy is too heavy? Vango have a few tents around 2kg or less - if that's too much, maybe you need this

500g but a little too tight space-wise for my liking....
22-08-2019, 13:20   #12
Planet X

Have two backpacking tents, a Hilleberg Unna @ 2.2kg and a Vaude Hogan UL @ 1.8kg.
Both, I'd consider lightweight.....modern rucksacks balance out loads very nicely. Lifting a packed rucksack off the ground feels heavy but when it's on your back......nothing really if balanced.

The Vaude above seems smaller of the two and the Hilleberg is a nice interior size, really like it. Built well.

Last edited by Planet X; 22-08-2019 at 13:27.
(2) thanks from:
22-08-2019, 20:12   #13
WannaGetFit

Quote:
how heavy is too heavy? Vango have a few tents around 2kg or less - if that's too much, maybe you need this

500g but a little too tight space-wise for my liking....
I am looking for a 2 man. 1.5Kg preferably.
I don't see any Vangos at 2Kgs or less. Must be looking on the wrong Vango site??
22-08-2019, 20:17   #14

DP

Last edited by BarryD2; 22-08-2019 at 20:20.
22-08-2019, 20:19   #15

Quote:
I am looking for a 2 man. 1.5Kg preferably.
I don't see any Vangos at 2Kgs or less. Must be looking on the wrong Vango site??
There is a relationship between durability and weight. For good reason. So to some extent your requirements are a bit at odds with each other, particularly at the mid range end perhaps??

If you wanna go really light, then maybe a tarpaulin or fancy bivvy bag

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion