Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pop Up Races Sociallly Distant 5k - Mondello Park & Nurney

Options
  • 16-06-2020 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭

Surprised there's no thread about this.

Laineyfrecks told me about this on Sunday, so I signed up and can't wait. Thanks E :)

Socially distant 5k race. Groups of 4 starting every minute or so, your start time depends on your predicted finish time. Temp testing and sanitising station at start area.

They're running them in Mondello Park and Nurney GAA club.

Dates as follows -

Mondello -
    June 25th, July 2nd and July 9th - 2x races, 6pm and 8pm.

Nurney -
    June 28th and July 5th - 10:30am

€20 entry plus booking.

I've signed up for June 25th at 8pm.

You've to purchase a Pop Up Races 'number for life' in order to qualify for entry, costs €6.

Cannot wait to get back racing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭racersedge

Great to see one of the timing company’s taking the initiative to try to get things back going.

I’ve signed up for doing Mondello next Thursday, 25th as well. Went with the 6PM slot though. Last week before I’m properly back to work so wanted to get in with the first round of things. (mind you after trying to do some faster runs today, I might need to rethink the estimated finishing time I gave them!) Did the 10K there a few years back and as a motorsport fan, it’s a buzz to run around a circuit.
    The wife has signed up to do the one in Nurney on the Sunday so to split the child minding duties 🀣

Really interested to see how it goes and to get some firsthand experience of how it proceeds and if that’s what we are going to be doing for the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Delighted to see these, although due to injury I won't be signing up. Mondello in particular would have a fair bit of novelty value for me. Fair play to Pop Up Races, they have been looking at ways to get racing going again in difficult circumstances, and I hope it works out for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

I've signed up for a Mondello 5k.

What's the course like? Is it flat or undulating?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 bullethead

pc11 wrote: »
    I've signed up for a Mondello 5k.

What's the course like? Is it flat or undulating?

It's a good honest course, I've always found it tough enough. It's very exposed so any wind can make it hard going.
    Looking forward to some racing action.

• Advertisement

Tonight's two races cancelled due to the threat of lightning.

Balls anyway.

The Mondello event tonight has been cancelled due to the adverse weather rolling. Just got the email about it.

I just signed up for the one on Sunday morn in Nurney.

Lazare wrote: »
    I just signed up for the one on Sunday morn in Nurney.

How did you get on? Seemed like a good morning for it. Both my wife and dad ran it and came back beaming with personal bests for the day.

racersedge wrote: »
    How did you get on? Seemed like a good morning for it. Both my wife and dad ran it and came back beaming with personal bests for the day.

Well I was on cloud 9 with a 15 second PB, 19:37 up until 5 mins ago.

Got an email from them apologising but they positioned the turnaround cone in the wrong spot.

Course was short by 100m.

Deflated tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

Well I was on cloud 9 with a 15 second PB, 19:37 up until 5 mins ago.

Got an email from them apologising but they positioned the turnaround cone in the wrong spot.

Course was short by 100m.

Deflated tbh.

That's tough! But people must have had an idea from GPS surely?

pc11 wrote: »
    That's tough! But people must have had an idea from GPS surely?

Measured 4.85km on the garmin. I was surprised when I saw the gantry.

Just assumed the tree cover had the GPS all over the shop.

Watch was beeping the splits a good 20m past the markers which made me believe it.

Measured 4.85km on the garmin. I was surprised when I saw the gantry.

Just assumed the tree cover had the GPS all over the shop.

Watch was beeping the splits a good 20m past the markers which made me believe it.

Both my wife’s and dads measured about the same as well. Although that said, even taking into account the 100m deficit, they would have still been on for new records themselves.

I’ll get my own crack at it in Mondello on Thursday. Re-signed back up for there. This time at 8 though

Fair play to them.

I've gotten a free entry into any of the upcoming ones. TT next Sat though so the next two are out.

It was a great event though, the issue aside. Very friendly team. The staggered start means zero congestion which is great.

Enjoyed it.

Results are updated. Chip time adjusted to 20:01 which is exactly what my 5th km pace calculates to.

Although I did kick, would like to think I would have just dipped under though with the clock egging me on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Results are updated. Chip time adjusted to 20:01 which is exactly what my 5th km pace calculates to.

Although I did kick, would like to think I would have just dipped under though with the clock egging me on.

What was the course like?

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

TbL

TbL

Felt like an honest course, couple of little drags and dips. It's an out and back so they even up. Last km felt quickish.

The turnaround takes a bit of your momentum, it's a narrow country road with a cone, so you've to come to a stop pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

Did they have that disinfectant tent thing? Don't see the point given CV-19 is a respiratory disease unless you're going down the Trump route of trying to get bleach into your lungs!

Great to see the initiative in getting a few events going.

• Advertisement

No tent. Wasn't as strict as I expected, yet it was sensible. Hands were sanitised, one person per toilet, distancing at the start area etc.

Common sense stuff.

Any trip reports from Mondello last night?

Any trip reports from Mondello last night?

Turns out I was recalling my time at Mondello with rose tinted glasses! (Motorsport fan and previous sim racer here). I forgot about what the drags were really like.

I ran the 8pm race. I’d say there was about 30-odd people (looks like some are missing from the results). Two laps of the shorter circuit which cut out the first sector of the circuit. I warmed up with my brother in law, who came down it. Jaysus, that in itself was an experience in itself (he can do sub-18’s). The size of the Mondello paddock and the track did really lend itself to the event. Plenty of space to park, stretch, warm up etc. without been on top of each other. Registration was quick and painless in one of the garages. We just lined up four or so abreast. No specific lines set out has there wasn’t that much of us. Just asked to use common sense and talk to each other about our time’s.

I had tentatively put myself down at a 22:30 because honestly, I didn’t know what I was capable of. Powered out of the gate quick but had to just slow it a bit to find a rhythm. For as quick as my pace was, the kilometres felt the longest! Out of race practice. I came home in 20:59, which would be my third fastest 5K (the fastest been around 20:45 I did last year at the Day of Irish PB’s) so to be honest, I’m delighted at that. Mondello isn’t the easiest and add in factors like running after work, recently having some struggles with a niggle and not having a clear goal recently, it was brilliant to able to just pump that out. Had a grand quick debrief with the brother in law and a few lads from Clane before heading home.

Overall, it was great to be back in that environment. Nothing can really replace that race day buzz. Delighted to have gotten as close as I did to my PB given the factors as well.

Fair play to Pop Up for stepping up to get things back going. Naturally has been some teething issues but they have been the first timing company to my knowledge to put their heads above the parapet to get things going.

Nice one. Congrats on a great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 bullethead

Great report... I was expecting to see larger numbers doing these races,

bullethead wrote: »
    Great report... I was expecting to see larger numbers doing these races,

I have two trains of thoughts on numbers. Yesterday in particular was mid-week and with phase three just starting, maybe a lot of people having work commitments/first week back. (That was why I originally planned to do the run a week ago, except the thunderstorms intervened).

Second thought is that maybe people look at the results and look at the pace. In particular the first one they ran in Clane. Slowest was what, about 21/22 mins. Seeing that is likely not scare off some people. I know my dad ran in Nurney last Sunday and when he saw he was in the last group, it did give pause for thought.

Ah, I was chatting to your Dad at Nurney before it started. Lovely man. He did mention that alright. It's a pity people feel that way.

Saw him later and I could tell he had a great morn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭crisco10

Anybody have a garmin/strava of the 5km route at Mondello? Doing the race next week there, and assume it will be the same course....

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

https://strava.app.link/sng2SR7YF8
    Dont judge my time :) same course 3 + abit lap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭crisco10

UM1 wrote: »
    https://strava.app.link/sng2SR7YF8
    Dont judge my time :) same course 3 + abit lap

Thanks....thats a 2 lap course..not 3 and a bit?

Advertisement