Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

robinph wrote: »
    So just got the latest from London Marathon.

Anyone can cancel running in October and get their money back, even if you had previously deferred. Getting your money back wouldn't normally be an option with a deferral or cancellation. This must be done before 26th April 2020.

Looks like a deferral of the October 2020 entry will still be permitted up until race day to bounce your place to the April 2021 event, although they don't explicitly mention this

Seems that they won't be carrying over GFA entries as my email states that I cannot defer due to when my GFA qualification run was done. Normally the deadline for running a GFA for 2021 would be in June/ July 2020. No word yet on them moving that date back, but hopefully they will shift it until the end of October 2020 (if any marathons actually happen).

Thanks for that. Planning on putting in a GFA this summer for 2021. After last year's disappointment, surely my 2:53 won't let me down this year (or next year) :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Their social media people have given out a few more slight details on Facebook/ Twitter.

No date yet decided on for the regular ballot entry for 2021, but will open some point between July and race day in October.
    They didn't give any details, but did admit to trying to figure out the various options they would have if October is cancelled.

They didn't answer any questions regarding GFA times for 2021 yet as far as I could spot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Update from VMLM:

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/news-media/latest-news/item/update-2020-virgin-money-london-marathon/index.html

The short version though to save you having to read it is "there is no update, please stop asking us".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Update from VMLM:

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/news-media/latest-news/item/update-2020-virgin-money-london-marathon/index.html

The short version though to save you having to read it is "there is no update, please stop asking us".

I'd say they will try to have an elite only race as will most WMM to allow people attempt to get Olympic qualifying times.
    That and the massive sponsorship and TV money involved.

Although there is potential there to have people appeal that based on forcing them to travel and putting themselves at risk etc.

I'd say they will try to have an elite only race as will most WMM to allow people attempt to get Olympic qualifying times.

Although there is potential there to have people appeal that based on forcing them to travel and putting themselves at risk etc.

Before the Olympics was cancelled, but the autumn season was still looking to probably go ahead, I couldn't see any reason for the majors to hold elite only races. They would be too much hassle to stage, limited payday for all but Kipchoge and whoever turns up at the one he doesn't turn up at and no point in the rest of the sub-Kipchoge field turning up as they wouldn't be in need of qualification times.

Now that the Olympics is potentially on next summer though I could see the majors (well Chicago, NY and the rescheduled London seeing as Berlin has already dropped out) in a bidding war for who gets to stage a one off elite only qualification event. Everyone who is looking for a time gets to turn up to the one location and race for their countries places.

Can't see there being any benefit for three separate elite only races taking place though, they would all be pretty rubbish to watch and race in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

From here into Dec is a non qualifying window for the Olympics

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Can't see there being any benefit for three separate elite only races taking place though, they would all be pretty rubbish to watch and race in.

I reckon there is a financial stalemate between Wanda Group (who are in hot water) and the race organisers that neither wants to be the one to pull the trigger. Similar to that of the Olympic's prior to their postponement.

From here into Dec is a non qualifying window for the Olympics

Forgot about that bit.

So it's back to being completely pointless for any kind of elite entry to any of the autumn majors. Might make for a cool newspaper headline, but London isn't going to happen if the most "elite" participant running is Bob Smith from Gubbington Harriers.

Only point for holding the race in that event would be to create an interesting pub quiz question for the future about who was the last UK winner of the London Marathon.

Before the Olympics was cancelled, but the autumn season was still looking to probably go ahead, I couldn't see any reason for the majors to hold elite only races. They would be too much hassle to stage, limited payday for all but Kipchoge and whoever turns up at the one he doesn't turn up at and no point in the rest of the sub-Kipchoge field turning up as they wouldn't be in need of qualification times.

Now that the Olympics is potentially on next summer though I could see the majors (well Chicago, NY and the rescheduled London seeing as Berlin has already dropped out) in a bidding war for who gets to stage a one off elite only qualification event. Everyone who is looking for a time gets to turn up to the one location and race for their countries places.

Qualification event can only happen from Dec onwards.

When the world champs were in London the male and female races were great to watch, especially the womens.

Doubt you see Kipchoge this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Ceepo

KSU wrote: »
    I reckon there is a financial stalemate between Wanda Group (who are in hot water) and the race organisers that neither wants to be the one to pull the trigger. Similar to that of the Olympic's prior to their postponement.

Do Wanda still have the London marathon. I know they sold Ironman and I thought the marathon series was part of the sale.

Not taking from your original point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Ceepo wrote: »
    Do Wanda still have the London marathon. I know they sold Ironman and I thought the marathon series was part of the sale.

Not taking from your original point.

I believe the Rock and Roll was the marathon series sold rather than the WMM (might be mistaken)

Another message from London basically just saying "leave us alone and stop bothering us about announcing a cancellation, we are banging as many heads together as we can and will tell you when it's cancelled in our own good time":

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/news-media/latest-news/item/a-message-from-hugh-brasher/index.html

Another message from London basically just saying "leave us alone and stop bothering us about announcing a cancellation, we are banging as many heads together as we can and will tell you when it's cancelled in our own good time":

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/news-media/latest-news/item/a-message-from-hugh-brasher/index.html

Its hard to know what will happen, Johnson is pushing ahead pretty carelessly and then once tourists comes back from hols is another question mark.

Think London will play poker face till start of Sept anyhow

Think London will play poker face till start of Sept anyhow

The longer London can hold off the more chance they have.

When would football normally start back? Can't see the next season of football starting from behind closed doors and once football is back there is zero justification for preventing a marathon to go ahead. Unless there is actually a big increase in cases before the next season of football I think the marathon will happen.

The longer London can hold off the more chance they have.

When would football normally start back? Can't see the next season of football starting from behind closed doors and once football is back there is zero justification for preventing a marathon to go ahead. Unless there is actually a big increase in cases before the next season of football I think the marathon will happen.

Next season starts in Sept and plan is still behind close doors, but that could change

Current rumours (from Kenyan media who presumably got notice earlier so ready for print tomorrow) is that it will be elite only with laps around some park so they can limit spectator numbers. Doesn't seem to be suggestions of it being done as an Olympic qualifier though where each country gets to send their top handful to run a time. The lack of an event to run this autumn causes problems for the Olympics if there is only then the spring opportunity to run a time.

Current rumours (from Kenyan media who presumably got notice earlier so ready for print tomorrow) is that it will be elite only with laps around some park so they can limit spectator numbers. Doesn't seem to be suggestions of it being done as an Olympic qualifier though where each country gets to send their top handful to run a time. The lack of an event to run this autumn causes problems for the Olympics if there is only then the spring opportunity to run a time.

Scullion is down for London also. Stepping up training for it now, maybe he knows more than we do?

Scullion is down for London also. Stepping up training for it now, maybe he knows more than we do?

Could just be the Kenyan media assuming that nobody else need to bother turning up and forgot to mention the bits about other countries wanting people to qualify as well, even if they do all get lapped.

Wonder what park they are going to cordon off for it? Laps around the Serpentine would make for pretty TV pictures.

• Advertisement

So looks like I can defer if I manage to run sub 3:10 in a virtual marathon on the 4th to retain my GFA place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

So looks like I can defer if I manage to run sub 3:10 in a virtual marathon on the 4th to retain my GFA place.

Allowing virtual runs to count for GFA entry standards seems ripe for abuse no? Not a comment on yourself by any means btw! Or have I read the info wrong and it's just people who have already a GFA place that can submit a GFA time via this virtual run. Even at that I could see a lot of skullduggery taking place.

healy1835 wrote: »
    Allowing virtual runs to count for GFA entry standards seems ripe for abuse no? Not a comment on yourself by any means btw! Or have I read the info wrong and it's just people who have already a GFA place that can submit a GFA time via this virtual run. Even at that I could see a lot of skullduggery taking place.

It is very surprising that they are allowing Strava as the GFA time essentially, but can't see what else they can do to keep some kind of GFA entry open. It is only available for people who already had a GFA place though so its not going to allow anyone new in with GFA places for 2021 as far as I know. They still know that all GFA entries ran a genuine time at some point in the last 3 years even if they fake the 2020 time.

I'm actually not sure if I need to run a time though. My GFA entry was based on my 2018 time so I don't qualify for deferral as its too old. Under normal circumstances though my 2019 time would count towards deferral as it's fast enough to qualify, but it wouldn't be fast enough to meet the cut off which I why I didn't use it to enter the GFA for 2020.

Not sure if I can use that 2019 time though or if I have to run sub 3:10 in the virtual event.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

I'm actually not sure if I need to run a time though. My GFA entry was based on my 2018 time so I don't qualify for deferral as its too old. Under normal circumstances though my 2019 time would count towards deferral as it's fast enough to qualify, but it wouldn't be fast enough to meet the cut off which I why I didn't use it to enter the GFA for 2020.
    In the exact same suitation. Ran 2019 just under the GFA time but not quick enough for the cut off so used a time from 2018.
    Hopefully they allow the 2019 time to defer otherwise looks like the virtual race is the only way to go to guraantee deferal to 2021.

I'll give them a few more days and see if the FAQ changes at all, if not will fire them off an email for clarification before they send out the GFA emails on the 1st September.

Moving the race to October will hit the Dublin numbers a bit. Hopefully i get a spot in Dublin next year

Moving the race to October will hit the Dublin numbers a bit. Hopefully i get a spot in Dublin next year

I'm hoping that the London GFA qualifying dates for 2022 run until the end of Autumn marathon season so as to include Dublin and New York etc. Hopefully, I get a London place for '21 and can run my time then, if not I'll have to do a quick turn around and smash Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭muloc

I seem to be in the same boat as some of ye.

Have a GFA entry for 2020 but qualifying time I have is from 2018. I think I have to do the virtual run October 4th and register for it before this Monday in order to hold on to my entry.

That's if I'm reading it right under the GFA section:

'If you ran the qualifying time before 1 January 2019, and you run the qualifying time in the virtual 2020 Virgin Money London Marathon, you will also be offered a guaranteed place in the 2021 event'

It was sub 3:10 at the time. Wonder will 3:09:59 do this time or does it depend on other virtual entries. Anyone any idea?

• Advertisement

3:09:59 would do.

Really not convinced by their current requirement to do so in the virtual event though when I have a time from 2019. They are not responding to any social media questions about GFA so far.

Advertisement