Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark - Netflix

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Just finished it last night, I didn't binge watch, I took my time watching one episode at a time over a couple of weeks.

Series 1 and 2 were excellent throughout. I agree that Season 3 started slow and I found it slow going, but the final 2 - 3 episodes got it back on track.

What a finale! Really tied it up perfectly. Made it all worthwhile I felt, with a little "is really over" nod in the very final scene.

It was good that not everyone had an end to their story -
    Ulrich for one. He never did get Mikkel back.
    . And the issue about the kids being sent back in time and dying, I felt that didn't get much of an explanation as to why they were doing that, or perhaps I missed that.

But all in all, 10/10 as a series, one of the best and most immersive things I ever watched (I made sure to watch it with headphones on and no phone beside me to avoid all distractions).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Just finished it last night, I didn't binge watch, I took my time watching one episode at a time over a couple of weeks.

Series 1 and 2 were excellent throughout. I agree that Season 3 started slow and I found it slow going, but the final 2 - 3 episodes got it back on track.

What a finale! Really tied it up perfectly. Made it all worthwhile I felt, with a little "is really over" nod in the very final scene.

It was good that not everyone had an end to their story -
    Ulrich for one. He never did get Mikkel back.
    . And the issue about the kids being sent back in time and dying, I felt that didn't get much of an explanation as to why they were doing that, or perhaps I missed that.

But all in all, 10/10 as a series, one of the best and most immersive things I ever watched (I made sure to watch it with headphones on and no phone beside me to avoid all distractions).

Although I did lambaste S3 I would give 1&2 a 10/10 also.

I've been struggling to find a new series to watch since. After watching the first couple of episodes of 3 series so far since I just can't get into any of them because they seem so flat in comparison to Dark. The cinematography and score just combined so well to create such a unique atmosphere I found almost addictive.

I don't think it's one to binge-watch either although I did watch the next episode the next day If I could.

AllForIt wrote: »

I've been struggling to find a new series to watch since. After watching the first couple of episodes of 3 series so far since I just can't get into any of them because they seem so flat in comparison to Dark. The cinematography and score just combined so well to create such a unique atmosphere I found almost addictive.

I don't think it's one to binge-watch either although I did watch the next episode the next day If I could.

I think you need to watch something tonally completely different, to cleanse the palate as it were!

You do get sucked into the world and invested into the characters, you spend so much time with them. Will be strange not to be spending any more time with Jonas, Martha, Ulrich et al every evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Have you guys seen Tenet? Dark is literally like a primer for watching that movie, it helped me immensely in getting to grips with the plot.

Homelander wrote: »
    Have you guys seen Tenet? Dark is literally like a primer for watching that movie, it helped me immensely in getting to grips with the plot.

Yes I was joking with friends about that, as they were saying how complex Tenet is, that Dark is good mental preparation for seeing it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Homelander wrote: »

I thought the same thing but then going Tenet to be a fairly big let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

AllForIt wrote: »

Check out the Brazilian show, 3% on Netflix. It's a dystopian future of the haves and have nots. Kinda like the Hunger Games but not. When people from the inland reach the age of 20 they can go through The Process, where they compete against each other to win a coveted spot and live in paradise on The Offshore. Class divides, divided loyalty and real characters. It's brilliant. It's a fully finished show now, so there's 4 seasons to binge. Highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

Just finished Season 3 and have mixed feelings about this one. I havent read anyones synopsis in this thread or online (maybe an explanation video or 2 on Youtube will explain things for me).

I can honestly say by episode 5 or 6 in Series 2 I wasn't as excited about a series in a very long time. I thought the 2nd series was as good as any I have ever seen. The 3rd just got too complicated with too many jumps and the timeline widening and widening with too many iterations of people all over the shop. By the end I just was watching in the hope that some of it would make sense and it really didn't. Maybe I'm a bit slow and if thats the case I can live with that. The 3rd series was a disappointment as by the end when
    Adam was killing Martha
    I didnt give a sh1t and just wanted it to end and maybe shed some light on what I was watching. I'll watch Youtube tonight in the hope it clears it up for me!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And we're done.

Took my time, perhaps too much because it did cause some occasional moments of "wait, what's their history again?" - and if I'm honest even at the end I'm still not 100% where some like Charlotte figured in the grand scheme of things; in Season 3, she seemed to spend most of her time milling about the background doing nothing.

I was briefly worried the season was so enamoured with Jonas & Martha's grand love that we wouldn't see the world as it should have been; so that last scene was a welcome moment, watching Winden's noted residents happy and apparently, relatively content.
    Katarina & Hannah best friends, with Ulrich living his life elsewhere, without the shadow of his dead brother shaping his career in the police, infecting everyone in his life. Peter living a life honest with himself.
    Though still a cause of sadness once the penny dropped, of all those young lives that never came to be.

Also, extra troll points are awarded to the writers for knowingly keeping the mystery of Wöller and his eye intact. Not exactly the show's largest question mark but still one that invited speculation. Naw, I could hear the writers saying; can't have everything :D

As to the season itself? Yeah, I think I can see why this last one stuck in the craw a little. Introducing such a huge change - in an entirely different universe - late in the narrative day, only added confusion when perhaps events and threads should have been coalescing. Instead, having to keep track of two sets of timelines, characters and time-travel therein became a little unwieldy to juggle. Not insurmountably, even if as I mentioned some characters remained unclear in my brain.

Still. The journey was worth it, and despite a weaker Season 3 I'd still call this show one of the finest Netflix has produced, no question. I hope its relative success prompts Netflix to invest more time and money in European productions because it has been a tonic watching something so deeply, unmistakably German with all the panache of a Hollywood production.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭pavb2

I also thought season's 1 and 2 were good the narrative was in the mystery, suspense, thriller kind of genre
    but when it jumped to the future I thought it was in the dystopian future, science fiction genre and less appealing to me. I think there's more credibility and authenticity in events set in history such as in the previous 33 and 66 years timelines.

Even at that I don't think it would have taken away from the story if the 33, 66 years ago and present time settings were the only times used. Once we started going back further to 1919? I don't think these worlds were developed as much as the two 33 & 66 settings.

For me the conflict between Adam and Eva was of less importance and of less interest to me than Ulrich's incarceration or Claudia's journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

pixelburp wrote: »
    I was briefly worried the season was so enamoured with Jonas & Martha's grand love that we wouldn't see the world as it should have been; so that last scene was a welcome moment, watching Winden's noted residents happy and apparently, relatively content.
    Katarina & Hannah best friends, with Ulrich living his life elsewhere, without the shadow of his dead brother shaping his career in the police, infecting everyone in his life. Peter living a life honest with himself.
    Though still a cause of sadness once the penny dropped, of all those young lives that never came to be.

Just a note on your spoiler there...
    you know that Ulrich also didn't exist in the origin world right? He wasn't simply living a life elsewhere, he can't exist because he was part of the paradox, as were Charlotte, Tronte, Noah, Agnes, etc, and all of the younger generation (the 2019 teens so to speak). The people sitting at the table at the end are the only ones of that generation that actually exist outside of the paradox, as well as Aleksander (although because Ulrich was never around to harass Regina, he never intervened and therefore never stopped in Winden, which is why Bartosz doesn't exist ; he was the only one of the 2019 kids that actually could've existed in the Origin World, as both his parents actually exist outside the paradox, but they just never meet)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just a note on your spoiler there...
    you know that Ulrich also didn't exist in the origin world right? He wasn't simply living a life elsewhere, he can't exist because he was part of the paradox, as were Charlotte, Tronte, Noah, Agnes, etc, and all of the younger generation (the 2019 teens so to speak). The people sitting at the table at the end are the only ones of that generation that actually exist outside of the paradox, as well as Aleksander (although because Ulrich was never around to harass Regina, he never intervened and therefore never stopped in Winden, which is why Bartosz doesn't exist ; he was the only one of the 2019 kids that actually could've existed in the Origin World, as both his parents actually exist outside the paradox, but they just never meet)

Oh! Honestly, I wasn't aware of that. Just googled a family tree and I think I see why;
    Tronte and Jana, Ulrich's parents, barely featured IIRC as to reinforce that that tree was now non-existent. So I'd forgotten than Ulrich ultimately stems from Noah, right?

So, then, wait: apart from those at the table, who's left in the universe in the modern day? Man I never loved a show that confounded me this much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Basically no-one apart from Alexander, Claudia and Bernd.

edit: Of the somewhat "main" characters I meant, other non-loop tertiary characters also exist

The rest of the main line-up existed-but-never-really-existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

pixelburp wrote: »
    Oh! Honestly, I wasn't aware of that. Just googled a family tree and I think I see why;
    Tronte and Jana, Ulrich's parents, barely featured IIRC as to reinforce that that tree was now non-existent. So I'd forgotten than Ulrich ultimately stems from Noah, right?

So, then, wait: apart from those at the table, who's left in the universe in the modern day? Man I never loved a show that confounded me this much :D

Well let me, sum it up as simply and clearly as I can (which is a tall order)... :D
    Tronte is the son of Agnes and "the Origin" (Jonas and Martha's kid), and Agnes and Noah are the children of Bartosz and Silja (Hannah and Egon's kid, both of whom exist in the origin world, but Hannah never travels in time, so obviously they don't get together and have Silja)... So Noah is Ulrich's great Uncle.

The only people, as far as I remember anyway, who weren't at the table of that age group were Aleksander and Clausen (the cop, who also has no reason to ever come to Winden, because Aleksander never stayed in Winden)...
    Of older generations Claudia, Helge, Jana, Ines, Egon, Doris, Bernd, Greta, Tannhaus and his son & daughter-in-law, all existed as always, but when you take Tronte and Agnes out of things, their lives would've gone down different paths...

At the table scene at the end you also may have noticed a photo on the wall of Regina, with her parents, Claudia and Bernd (confirming he's her dad and meaning Helge is her half-brother). That house is the one we knew from 1986 and 2019 as being the Nielsen house and the Tiedemann house in 1956, where Tronte and Agnes lived with Egon, Doris, and Claudia, but obviously between 1953 and 1986 Tronte was either left it via Doris or bought it, and passed on to Ulrich by 2019, but without Agnes, Tronte, or Ulrich existing in the origin world it was clearly passed down from Egon and Doris to Claudia to Regina, which explains why a picture of Regina, Claudia and Bernd is on the wall in that house.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’m trying to go back and finish this. Started back at S3E5 and to be honest I’m a bit lost.

Anybody able to sort of summarise things even a bit? Is there
    a or 3 different universes?
    I thought there was two but it looks like there’s 2
    Martha’s
    around the same age but I thought one was dead.

But am I right in saying in general that
    it’s basically a bunch of universes and times with people inter mingled between each one, in a loop with old Martha and old Jonas manipulating everybody else

Also , a Martha that
    just met a Jonas and slept with him is acting like she’s known him forever. I thought she sort of just met him in this universe, is it kind of a destiny thing where they know deep down they love each other or something?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

(your video isn't working for me)
    I'd nearly suggest starting S3 again to catch up (and I don't want to give it away).
    There is also the official guide @ https://dark.netflix.io/en

• Registered Users Posts: 33,069 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Drumpot wrote: »
    I’m trying to go back and finish this. Started back at S3E5 and to be honest I’m a bit lost.

Anybody able to sort of summarise things even a bit? Is there
    a or 3 different universes?
    I thought there was two but it looks like there’s 2
    Martha’s
    around the same age but I thought one was dead.

But am I right in saying in general that
    it’s basically a bunch of universes and times with people inter mingled between each one, in a loop with old Martha and old Jonas manipulating everybody else

Also , a Martha that
    just met a Jonas and slept with him is acting like she’s known him forever. I thought she sort of just met him in this universe, is it kind of a destiny thing where they know deep down they love each other or something?
    Two universes. The original and the alternative universe. To go into things deeperwould be to spoint things.

Re Martha:
    MArtha is the only one who can jump universes and she takes Jonas with her. Everyone else has an alternative in both universes but is unaware of the other one (at the point you mention)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Well I just finished after going back and I’m glad I didn’t search anywhere to get answers as it actually tied everything together very well to be fair.

It’s gas when you think you are lost and it then starts becoming clear. Is that it? Doesn’t seem to have anywhere else to go after that. I enjoyed it in the end, just was a bit of a slog at times but overall a satisfying finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Yep. That's it. Some story eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

I watched Tenet, and now yearn for the simplicity of Dark's storytelling again :D :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I was chef the final episode earlier.

A great brain twister of a story.

I really liked the end and how it wasn’t signposted during the series.

A great show. I hope this team do something as interesting, if not more so, soon.

The Dark head honchos are working on a new series, titled 1899. Not too much to go on beyond a rough premise, set on board an Atlantic liner. Sounds like there'll be supernatural shenanigans, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Advertisement